The Super CAK and Bonecutter

Bill-I don't think there is any danger of HI disregarding continuity of type.This particular knife could well be called a "transitional" model,keeping in mind that Sgt.Khadka's help recently left and Bhakta has taken up that mantle.As was stated above,"a square is not a square if you add sides",however,it does not thereby become formless or nameless and so a name that follows form is indicated.Although with a turnover of Kami's,there is likely to remain some blurring of the lines,so to speak.

Last edited:
Arbiter,

Think of it this way, many different companies routinely bid for contracts on the current BAS model. This model can be considered a specific "type" and comes with specs with size, weight, handle material, blade length, width, etc. No matter what company gets the bid, the BAS is just about as exact as a hand made item could be. I recently ordered about 20 BAS (Service No.1 & Jungle) and while you can get picky and notice subtle differences in feel and balance, they were remarkably similar in size, weight and balance.

So if this wide range of companies and kami make this model with such uniformity, certainly the cream of the crop kami at HI can be taught to make a correctly spec'ed Bonecutter. And if not, let Sgt. Khadka make however many real Bonecutters as he can and call the others some other name and let them sell on their own merrits. No matter how you slice it, a Bonecutter that looks like a CAK isn't a Bonecutter, just like a Corvette with a Ford engine isn't a Corvette!

Steve Tall said:
Here's your shirt, I think (corrected photo number):

Well done Steve! I didn't see that you had done this. I like it even better than the 10/27 one! Maybe it will arrive today. Nice detective work on figuring out the right picture :thumbup:

Brian

Mr.Bladite-No offense intended,but since you don't offer an alternative moniker for the knife in question, and since up to this time it is unique,I will name it the AK Bonecutter.And I don't apologize for doing so_Of course, I would appreciate any reasoned input on what this knife should be named should you disagree.

none taken. based on my design criteria when i begged Auntie to make the bonecutters in the first place... the offering above is not a bonecutter in any way.

what makes a "bladite bonecutter"? some of the same things that Sgt Khadka has as trademark featuers: hill walnut (no horn, no no no), the flared Chitlangi style butt and nice plate, traditional bolster - none of that japanese habaki stuff ;) minimal to no cho-creep, and more importantly, due to the very high edge bevel and general thiness, the good Sgt's excellent heat treat - he is really good at that. other things: it has to have the high edge bevel - that's a bonecutter trait from the originals. basically no fullers at all. this is not an AK. flat like a GRS would be fine, but the Sgt managed a gentle whole blade curve on the early ones i have - it's lovely. not terribly pointy - more like classic GRS and of course, the original bonecutters.

it's been 3-4 years now, but maybe i should be more uppity about it ;)

here's a group shot: top to bottom: VERY large GRS, CAK, the perfect example of a GRS :>, a CAK, and the S-CAK, please to note the differences etc. also how the S-CAK is made to look small ;) those are big khuks - my treasures :>

268344256_ou2LL-L.jpg

this is the bonecutter: the most perfect one ever, being the first one made after the S-CAK (that i know of):

285824264_j6izJ-L.jpg

behold the glory of those edge bevels!

285826154_pfQJD-L.jpg

and three classic bonecutters, with the 2nd and 4th blades being "other" (Bushman/GAK? and a foxy folly):

250852804_htRCN-M.jpg

250852798_L3ZDa-S.jpg

so, imho, the offering above:
11-07-11%20003.jpg

is an excellent looking CAK with 4 pins. not the S-CAK. imho.

Arbiter,

Think of it this way, many different companies routinely bid for contracts on the current BAS model. This model can be considered a specific "type" and comes with specs with size, weight, handle material, blade length, width, etc. No matter what company gets the bid, the BAS is just about as exact as a hand made item could be. I recently ordered about 20 BAS (Service No.1 & Jungle) and while you can get picky and notice subtle differences in feel and balance, they were remarkably similar in size, weight and balance.

So if this wide range of companies and kami make this model with such uniformity, certainly the cream of the crop kami at HI can be taught to make a correctly spec'ed Bonecutter. And if not, let Sgt. Khadka make however many real Bonecutters as he can and call the others some other name and let them sell on their own merrits. No matter how you slice it, a Bonecutter that looks like a CAK isn't a Bonecutter, just like a Corvette with a Ford engine isn't a Corvette!

yeah, it would be nice to nail a "type" down in stone as well as the BAS and some models have been. then you can simply order model # xxxx and be assured you get something within a range of variation, even down to a "style" (like Sgt's flared pommels). if i ordered a Humvee and got a H3, i'd be vexed :)

so, imho, the offering above:
11-07-11%20003.jpg

is an excellent looking CAK with 4 pins. not the S-CAK. imho.

The only resemblance I see to an AK is the fuller and the cho, the blade shape is off, especially the tip. I'm not an expert or anything, but that's not an AK afaic. Although I am certain it will get the job done...

The only resemblance I see to an AK is the fuller and the cho, the blade shape is off, especially the tip. I'm not an expert or anything, but that's not an AK afaic. Although I am certain it will get the job done...

here's the other advertised S-CAK that i'm aware of: this one is even leafier/fatter, more belly... aiming towards a C-GRS really.
8-24-11%20001.jpg

todays:
11-07-11%20003.jpg

but in looking for CAK pix just now? found so many variations that it's boggling.

main traits to me: the sharp dog-leg bend, the VERY large single fuller. there have been many variations on edge bevels though, from super small to quite big.

the curve opposite the dog-leg bend shouldn't be as fat there, but that's merely a variant, not a completely different blade. imho.

some of the newer advertised as CAKs are a little different than old school ones, here, i'll put the pictures side by side if i can:

268344256_ou2LL-L.jpg
11-07-11%20003.jpg

you might have to embiggen your window. to me, the old ones and the new one are nearly identical, barring a longer 4 pin handle.

the S-CAK as pictured has a very smooth bend, not the pronounced sharp dog-leg.

in thinning my herd, i had to pick the best of the best, and i kept a lot of the old school, pronounced fuller models, mostly CAKS vs AK, and wood vs bone/horn, and keeping the ones that are closest to what i think the ideal was. many of them had soft looking fullers, or other features (bevels), i felt were too ... variant. off they go. happens.

i suppose i could flip the picture, and then figure out how to superimpose them, but to my eye, they look VERY close.

CAK :)

Over the past couple of years, there's one thing I've definitely learned: the true Super CAK (Wolf's) is a VERY desired khuk. I know some people, including myself, have been tempted to order a custom to the exact specs. But I also know that since it's a one-of-a-kind, getting it just right would be nearly impossible. How likely would it be for Wolf to lend the Super CAK to Auntie so she can send it back to the shop to have the kamis study and replicate it for us eager forumites? I'm sure people like me interested in getting a true Super CAK would gladly contribute to Wolf's/Auntie's shipping costs for this project. What do you guys say? Let's make it happen!! :)

Thank you guys for the time and effort in responding to this question.It looks very much to me like a hybrid CAK/Bonecutter.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions on Super CAK

Over the past couple of years, there's one thing I've definitely learned: the true Super CAK (Wolf's) is a VERY desired khuk. I know some people, including myself, have been tempted to order a custom to the exact specs. But I also know that since it's a one-of-a-kind, getting it just right would be nearly impossible. How likely would it be for Wolf to lend the Super CAK to Auntie so she can send it back to the shop to have the kamis study and replicate it for us eager forumites? I'm sure people like me interested in getting a true Super CAK would gladly contribute to Wolf's/Auntie's shipping costs for this project. What do you guys say? Let's make it happen!! :)

Moogoo,

Is it this?
267592496_s3Tsq-M.jpg

Let's hope Sgt gets his groove back ASAP!

A fullered,4 pin M-43 if I ever saw one.BTW-The Bhakta made sale post has arrived.It is in every way the equal of my Sgt.Khadka BC.:D

Beatiful Khuk. I am quite enamored of my Sgt Khadka BC. One of the reasons I haven't ordered another Khuk is because the BC that Auntie had the good Sgt make for me is as close to the "be all, end all" chopper as I could ask for.
That, and I'm saving up for a Tarwar and an AK Bowie.
I believe that, if it chops like an AK or a BC, whoever buys one of those will be very pleased with it.

Beatiful Khuk. I am quite enamored of my Sgt Khadka BC. One of the reasons I haven't ordered another Khuk is because the BC that Auntie had the good Sgt make for me is as close to the "be all, end all" chopper as I could ask for.
That, and I'm saving up for a Tarwar and an AK Bowie.
I believe that, if it chops like an AK or a BC, whoever buys one of those will be very pleased with it.

now thats what i want, a BC, Tarwar, and AK Bowie. and i will have them. hehe

I also have the HI C-Kerambit and Tamang knife. Both are very good knives, also.
Though the Kerambit seems to be more of a fighting knife design, the HI 'Bit cuts steak and pork chops like nobody's business. When I received mine, I couldn't resist washing the blade and using it instead of a steak knife. It also has an easy to sharpen false edge.
The Tamang looks like a Khuk with less bend to the blade. It's not a heavy duty chopper like a BC or AK, but it's a great, rather large, knife for all kinds of uses.
It chops well, but is not warranted as such. The only chopping I use it for is pruning type work on limbs (twigs?) not much larger than pencil diameter. Green wood only.
That, and kitchen use such as chopping vegetables.

DSC03345.JPG
Here is my Bonecutter, in my opinion one of the best all around kukri ever made!

DSC03331.JPG
And here it is with a Large Ganga Ram and a Bura WWII

Fine blades Bill.You are very fortunate to have a Bura and that takes nothing from the other two. I have a Sgt.Khadka BC that I am very fond of.That Ganga ram is a monster-just top notch.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that these new "Super CAKs" are being made under the good Sgt.'s oversight and have his blessing, otherwise he'd never let them leave the shop. Think of them as the "Super CAK version 2.0," maybe.

I think I sort of see a progression in all the blades pictured. What I kinda envision: Sgt. Khadka wanted to improve on the M-43, so he made the first 2 Super CAKs. Then after refining the design further, he made the Bonecutter. Now, for the Super CAK 2.0, he started with the Bonecutter, added fullers, and most likely made many other changes that are less visually apparent. And then he made absolutely sure that Bhakta made them exactly as they should be.

Back