The Super CAK and Bonecutter

What I kinda envision: Sgt. Khadka wanted to improve on the M-43, so he made the first 2 Super CAKs. Then after refining the design further, he made the Bonecutter. Now, for the Super CAK 2.0, he started with the Bonecutter, added fullers, and most likely made many other changes that are less visually apparent. And then he made absolutely sure that Bhakta made them exactly as they should be.

Ryan,

I couldn't be sure about this. Bladite might pop in to answer yours but BC has a relative with one from now defunct Gurkha House.

250852804_htRCN-M.jpg

Noticed the 3-ringed, stick tang version of BC? I hope to see and try them in HI's future line.

From another thread:
And hey, they've gotten 1 ounce heavier with each listing. Kinda funny. Is it just me, or does each successive one also look more like a Bonecutter than the last?

My point exactly.
Say on Super CAK 2.0 (a continuum of an already near-perfect design of the 1st version), what would you think adding the fuller will do to the magnificent BC?
The hollow forge in the BC is a fantastic feature to reduce weight as well as stuck-free during chopping. What do you say?

It's fantastic Sgt is training Bhakta to do a version of his but i'm pretty sure we all want to revive "Super CAK" or "WWIII" ?

Last edited:
I think the main thing to keep in mind is that these new "Super CAKs" are being made under the good Sgt.'s oversight and have his blessing, otherwise he'd never let them leave the shop. Think of them as the "Super CAK version 2.0," maybe.

I think I sort of see a progression in all the blades pictured. What I kinda envision: Sgt. Khadka wanted to improve on the M-43, so he made the first 2 Super CAKs. Then after refining the design further, he made the Bonecutter. Now, for the Super CAK 2.0, he started with the Bonecutter, added fullers, and most likely made many other changes that are less visually apparent. And then he made absolutely sure that Bhakta made them exactly as they should be.

well, long story short; i wanted a bonecutter, as in the old style pictured below, came up with specs and a design, and begged enough to persuade Auntie to have some made :> part of my spec included Sgt Khadka to make them

not sure where the Super-CAK came from, but that was his FIRST version of the bonecutter project and entirely his design/inspiration; i said "er, no, not yet", and the second and third blades were bonecutter PERFECTION. i have them :) pure bonecuttery goodness. SCAK #2 came rather a bit later and i know little about that one. to emphasize: the bonecutters are not the result of the evolution of the SCAK, they are their own unique thing born of whole cloth.

really not sure what's up with the 4 pin CAKS - sure, call them 2.0; :D they're definitely something new and are quite robust (MUCH heavier than SCAK 1.0).

i know the true SCAK fans want 1.0 though more. light, fast, alive. it's almost a kopis in my little mind. it's a warrior's blade.

M43 vs AK fanatics.

Ryan,

I couldn't be sure about this. Bladite might pop in to answer yours but BC has a relative with one from now defunct Gurkha House.

250852804_htRCN-M.jpg

Noticed the 3-ringed, stick tang version of BC? I hope to see and try them in HI's future line.

Say on Super CAK 2.0 (a continuum of an already near-perfect design of the 1st version), what would you think adding the fuller will do to the magnificent BC?

It's fantastic Sgt is training Bhakta to do a version of his but i'm pretty sure we all want to revive "Super CAK".

NO FULLERS ON THE BC PLEASE ;) no no no :> then it's not a bonecutter.

it would be great to see classic rat-tang bonecutters, but that would be another variant. me? i like the full-tang models as i asked for... break those will ya. as well, they are VERY well balanced, such that the 16 inch feels like a 18 or 19 inch samsher, but is relatively fast and light... but imho outchops a large samsher. best chopper ever made imho.

much kudos to Sgt Khadka for getting those early bonecutters *perfect*. as well, that SCAK he made is bloody amazing. too good for me to hold onto. glad wolf has it (though i am in his will just in case; he knows where to send that later)... oh, and i'm STILL on the original, untouched edge on my heavy user 16 inch. i'm keeping the 18 inch pristine, because well, i may never get anything so perfect again.

so, before anyone speculates further on bonecutters, history, intentions, specs... please read all the pages of this thread, and then the bonecutter files. look at the pictures. the history, the majesty ;) the design has gone live, and seems to be a bit of a roaming beast, but in my heart, there is ONE specification that is true to my desires, and the rest are cousins, even if they are well loved ones... just my opinion as the architect ;)

Bladite,

I must have read many times and this particular ones got me sometimes ago:

Oh yes. VERY sweet.

I went out in the woods a bit today with Mr Smiley
Thorsmile2.gif

I did some more test cutting with the Super CAK today, putting it up exclusively with my 20" Ang Khola by kami Kumar.

There's really no comparison. The Super CAK wins.

My standard AK is a bit different from my other khukuris as Kumar made the edge bevels very thin, almost like the edge on a razor. They are almost perfectly flat; not convex at all, and maybe even very slightly concave. Regardless of this, the edge has proven to be remarkably strong for years now. It bites deep. Really deep. This was the khukuri I was using last year to de-limb fallen trees after a windstorm and I was leaving my father and his chainsaw in the dust behind me.

The Super CAK on the other hand has those Bonecutter edge bevels. They're very convex but not too obtuse; the profile is very similar to what you'd find on a japanese "appleseed" blade profile. Just right. That being said, it cuts differently from any other khukuri I have. It cuts like a broadsword. A very sharp broadsword. It combines a razor sharp shearing cut with brute force percussion. The result is ferocious. It also has deep double fullers (which is why I consider it more of a dui chirra variant than an ang khola) to make it both remarkably light and well balanced yet very strong. The Super CAK recovers quickly and is instantly ready to strike again. The standard AK handles more like, well, a short broadaxe, which is fine because that's how I use it.

I have a scale I use to evaluate a khukuri on it's role as weapon vs tool. 1 being purely weapon and 5 being purely tool.

I consider khukuris like the chitlangi and the M43 to be dead center at 3 (M43 IMO is more accurately a 3.5) as they are compromises between weapon and tool.

I have to consider the Super CAK a 1 and 5 at the same time without being a compromise regarding either role.

Now I think I'll have to rethink my scale, all because of one khukuri :confused:

Ok I got a chance yesterday to put the Super CAK up against my brother's M43.

As of now the results are inconclusive considering:

- Super CAK at 20.25" is a larger khukuri than the M43
- I'm larger and physically stronger than my brother
- He's more familiar with the M43
- I'm more familiar with larger khukuris like the Super CAK

Cutting power:
With him using the M43 and me using the Super CAK it was dead even. I could outcut the M43 a bit but considering the Super CAK is a bigger khukuri and I am a bigger guy than my brother, we agreed to call it a tie for cutting power. We'd really need to get a Super CAK in the 18"-19" range or a 20" M43 to be truly sure but I think the results would still even out.

Handling/agility:
They both snap into the target very well. The M43 being smaller, is a bit faster, so again I'd say a 18"-19" Super CAK would probably match the M43 on speed and agility. This test demonstrated well the importance of familiarity with your blade and technique, as I was better with the Super CAK than I was with the M43, and the reverse was true for my brother.

Having tested both side by side against each other I am confident to say that the Super CAK is an unusual khukuri; it's a strange Chiruwa-Ang Khola-Dui Chirra-Bonecutter hybrid which handles more like its cousin the M43 than it does a standard Chiruwa Ang Khola. Judging them by feel, the Super CAK feels much more like a large M43 than it does a standard 20" Ang Khola

To note: This is the only khukuri in my collection which impressed my M43-worshiping brother "almost" as much as his precious M43.

And I still think I have found the ultimate khukuri ;)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/680196-Super-CAK?highlight=Review+-+Super+CAK

i have a very old, pre-ub M43 by HI, with brass rivets, and the most wonderful shape; it's why i was willing to let the original Super-CAK go, because that was much more my style, and it's just bad-ass, as well as being just very cool and unique (i'm all about the unique :>)

as well, having had over 100 khuks at one point (as bad as Jimmy ;>), and having thinned the herd, some really nice stuff got kept, but of course, some had to go.

i've got a couple really fine examples of sirupati, chitlangi, gelbu, and other medium long "khukri swords". as well as some other crazy stuff like the bowie sword, falcata, and such. ginuntings are nice too.

but i'll always remember the Super-CAK fondly

after reading all this i am confused - usually i wouldn't post this or even ask but now you all have my curiosity going.

I had sent Yandu an email about a year or so ago - i stated that i would like a CAK but i wanted a large one maybe 20 inchs. A week or so later she emailed me that she had just such a blade - a 20 inch CAK - the blade is 2 and 3/4 inches wide at the sweet spot -- the spine is a hair under a 1/2 inch wide just above the handle tapering down to a hair more than 3/8 ths wide at the spine above the sweet spot.

it is 20 and 1/8th long overall

the engrave of the maker looks like two hills with a mark above them

can you all clarify what this is - a CAK a super CAK -- either way i love it it fits my hand great , stays razor sharp - hasn't chipped or rolled and has split a cord or so of good well cured oak (red and white) and i cant imagine any task to big for it from lopping off a zombie head to prying open a car door - cutting down a tree and splitting the fire wood.

i feel the way Cpl punishment says about his "Armageddon knife" - maybe that's what i will call it

everyone of my friends that has taken it out of the sheath and held it has said - "holy sh*%" or something similar

the pictures here are the CAK? laying between the 22 inch YCS and a 32 once framing hammer

so is it a CAK a super CAK - or can i just make up a name for it ? i think "Bad Mother ------ " would be a good name

so is it a CAK a super CAK - or can i just make up a name for it ? i think "Bad Mother ------ " would be a good name

BFH44,

I believed we all called it wrongly. "Super CAK" and "SUPER CAK" is different in a way that the former dictates for a one shot many kills model that combines many plus points of khuks into one whilst latter refers to the heft and size of the model.

Cak Zilla, CAK king, Gigantic CAK are just names to describe CAK in dino-size.

If you read what's inside the thread you will find some of the largest beast from HI and they looked really good! Balance is the KEYWORD.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/846080-Pics-request-largest-specimens-of-HI-models
giantkhuk.jpg

Giant CAK (25", 3.62 pounds), aka Kukzilla:
GiantCAK03.jpg

On the Super CAK we have been discussing, you may need a few pictures to differentiate it. Like i said it's a hybrid of goodness!
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/759861-The-Epitome-of-Super-CAK

The closest khukri it feels like would be an M43. It doesn't have the weight and balance projected out quite as far but it has the same agile and swift 'flowing' movement in the hand.

Here it is with a standard 20" AK made by Kumar:
CAKSuperCAK001A.jpg

...and with a couple of M43's:
SCAK-M43-M43.jpg

It doesn't look ENTIRELY like a CAK (notice the primary and 2ndary bevel and a sharper tip) and not a M-43 either.
Like Bladite and Wolf said, think of it as a warrior's best partner but swift.

If there's one HI i could take during a fire......

Last edited:
i have a 54 ounce AK, it's insane.

a 57 ounce falcata...

and a 58 ounce giant bowie

that said... i want dave rishar's GRS :)

Nobody has commented on BFH44's 22inch YCS ?

That is probably one of the most beautiful pieces I have see from HI, and that's really saying something.
I dont think I have ever seen a piece that wasn't beautiful here, but that.... man that thing is in the top 3 for sure.
I need it, I waant it ... Oh man I am in love ..lol
I was following this thread because after a lot of soul searching and reading, I had settled on a Bonecutter as what I was looking for, but that 22 inch YCS you have BFF44.... WOW

P.S. Howdy Bladite,
And Howdy to all my HI peeps, sorry for the long absence from posting.

BFH44,the blade in question is a CAK. You are fortunate to have it! A beauty indeed.

Cpl mentioned he's a well built 6+ ' knight and i believe Dave and you fit into that bill.

i'm a lumberjack, and i'm okay. used to swinging a 4-6 pound axe around.

do some "shovel glove" (google it :>) with a 9 lb Stanley FuBar sometimes for exercise... then the axe feels lighter... and a khukri feels like a steak knife?

Cotherion and I will swim around the 30oz region.

Nobody has commented on BFH44's 22inch YCS ?

That is probably one of the most beautiful pieces I have see from HI, and that's really saying something.
I dont think I have ever seen a piece that wasn't beautiful here, but that.... man that thing is in the top 3 for sure.
I need it, I waant it ... Oh man I am in love ..lol
I was following this thread because after a lot of soul searching and reading, I had settled on a Bonecutter as what I was looking for, but that 22 inch YCS you have BFF44.... WOW

P.S. Howdy Bladite,
And Howdy to all my HI peeps, sorry for the long absence from posting.

it's a very nice YCS, but i can't look at it, because i never managed to get one of the long ones. i had a VERY VERY VERY nice short dragon model some years ago, terrific blade, fantastic handle, two YCS blades, but could never make myself USE it... had to go in the purge. maybe someday i'll get another. those long ones though - swooooon.

and howdy :>

thanks guys - i really love the CAK -- i use it often (whenever i get the chance) -- i hesitates to use the YCS though because it looks so good -- but i figure i might as well use it some and i can always buff the blade out if it gets tree sap or whatever on it -- but really the only thing i do around here is split firewood and i have axes so sometimes i will take out the CAK and use it in place of an axe -- which it does pretty good job - only problem is it gets stuck mid way down on some of the larger logs

since it doesn't have the wide spine or back side like an axe to often gets stuck unless the grain is real straight -- i have gotten some odd looks from the neighbors when i put down my axe and start splitting logs with the CAK :D

Back