The Survive! Never Say Die! Chat Thread

Yet another +1 for imgur. Ever since I started using imgur, I packed up Photobucket and left it in the proverbial iMac's attic!

Oh how I wish every picture I've got was transferred to imgur from photobucket so that I'd never have to log into pb again. I just cringe when I have to log in there and face the inevitable 'slow to locked-up computer' syndrome. If imgur's phone app had been available back then I'd have gone with them from the beginning, it's just too convenient to upload straight from the phone, and that's how pb sucked me in.

ETA: I have heard from sources I consider reliable, that if you're using any of photobucket's paid storage it's much better, whereas my experience is based on the free services of imgur and photobucket.

imgur test:

5BE6ZTj.jpg

I was able to log into imgur with my google credentials and simply drag photos from my google album onto imgur, and each image has an evidently durable web-address associated with it... so far so good, and WAY easier than I was expecting...

I sure hope they all sell, as I need to recoup the funds that went into them!

HK, one element of idiocy on my part however: Y'know how you determined that the screws wouldn't blast? I tried paint-stripper - no effect even on the clips. I thought it must be black-oxide coating, and it turns out that I have access (through my profession) to some decent HCl (the internet told me to try that). So I took an unblasted clip as well as all those screws, dropped them in a beaker of acid and just stirred/agitated the beaker lazily as the coating bubbled away. Saved me buying all new screws and now I know that i don't need to waste any of your time again! :p I'm going to try polishing them a bit more, as I think potential buyers might be turned off by the dark-gray not matching the scales as well... *shrug* We'll see.

This is how I satiate my desire to buy knives even while waiting on my S!K orders. And my wife doesn't mind since she knows that each one coming in gets sold and sent out again ;)

No waste of my time at all my friend. I'm glad you found a way to strip those screws, there was just no way I could get figured to grip the little suckers in the cabinet.

So I think the contrast looks good, but everyone is going to be different on that. Are any of the ones in the picture straight from the blaster? Or did that finish not work with the alox scales? Looks good with the black alox though, but the tint on my computer is not always correct. You got a black pioneer in that bunch?

I just received a couple of farmers and electricians to put clips on, as well as a couple of the new OD-green pioneers, so once I've done those I'll take a new pic of the lot.

Yes, there is a black pioneer in that shot as well as a few dark-grey (almost black) but those all have the fully-black clips installed. The camera failed to pick-up the difference between the black vs blasted/stripped clips in the photo so they all look the same :confused:

FBQeVfn.jpg

Here's a pic of two with clips that were only blasted, on a silver vs a med-gray pioneer - one clip turned out darker than the other. After the acid-bath, they all look like the slightly lighter clip. I kinda like the contrast, but what is important is what sells ;) So I'll run a few against a steel-wool bit or other polishing attachment on my dremel and see what people think. I may list them in a Youtube video as well, since that'll probably earn me more customers than just the BF exchange.

vHt05Ec.jpg

^This. Exactly this. Invoice me on that silver pioneer in the picture above if you think it'll give you the most trouble.
If you don't have a buffer, you might try some Flitz on a buffing bit in your dremel.

I've some green and red polishing-compound on hand to try, will start there.

But you can't have that one silver pioneer in the pic of the two with shiny screws, it sold a while ago before I figured out the acid-bath for the black screws ;) The pic above that of the 8, only one of the dark-grey has sold so far, but I'm not worried. I'll clip these farmers and electricians and polish the clips of a couple of the ones in the pic and relist them. BF is only so big, and I can't expect everyone who passes through the folder-exchange to want one. No worries.

Besides, you already have a clipped SAK! It's your fault I even started doing this :D My next step is to cut the pivots out of a couple and start rebuilding them... already bought some of the screws and pivot-barrel replacements recommended by Syph007 (SAKmodder).

Besides, you already have a clipped SAK! It's your fault I even started doing this :D My next step is to cut the pivots out of a couple and start rebuilding them... already bought some of the screws and pivot-barrel replacements recommended by Syph007 (SAKmodder).

Ha! :D

2mm and 3mm (nickel?) pivot stock if I remember correctly. I think I picked mine up through Jantz, haven't tried SAKmodder, I'll have to look into that.

That's the thing that I believe you and I did differently, as I disassembled, drilled & tapped, installed clip, reassembled and reset pins (I did some others w/o disassembly and have never had a problem with either). The hardest part for me on the ones I took apart was resetting the pins without marring anything. That, and making sure I didn't overtighten in the process. It was a fine line between no slop and too much drag lol. I'll have to pick your brain if you come up with a convenient way to do that.

Ha! :D

2mm and 3mm (nickel?) pivot stock if I remember correctly. I think I picked mine up through Jantz, haven't tried SAKmodder, I'll have to look into that.

That's the thing that I believe you and I did differently, as I disassembled, drilled & tapped, installed clip, reassembled and reset pins (I did some others w/o disassembly and have never had a problem with either). The hardest part for me on the ones I took apart was resetting the pins without marring anything. That, and making sure I didn't overtighten in the process. It was a fine line between no slop and too much drag lol. I'll have to pick your brain if you come up with a convenient way to do that.

The pivots I picked up from knifekits:
https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/prod...cts_id=6713&osCsid=cmqfn5aorbjp7jj54vt4l74397

They are 0.125" thick and the word is that the original pivots (and holes in the scales) are 0.118 so there is some modification required - sanding out the holes on EVERYTHING and also countersinking if you want to use the flat-head screws... BUT then you have 1) the ability to take-down at will and 2) the ability to mount pocket-clips that otherwise wouldn't fit over the pivot-pin on the end, including all the little deep-carry clips.

Syph007 is SAKmodder: http://www.sakmodder.com/

Reading here is where I got my advice:

WARNING!!! - Link to alternate forum that could totally suck you in if you register!! I have avoiding doing so... so far ;)

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=34772.0

BUT then you have 1) the ability to take-down at will and 2) the ability to mount pocket-clips that otherwise wouldn't fit over the pivot-pin on the end, including all the little deep-carry clips.

I can definitely see the benefits to this method. This is going to be very nice if you get it figured chiral. I'll look forward to seeing what you do.

I've been messing around with pocket carry sheaths for a while. I couldn't find a tutorial so I just pieced together what I could and dived in. A couple people were interested in a CPK EDC pocket sheath but I decided to make one for myself first to try it out with a 2.7.

Here's a pretty simple layout. I decided to add a little more width to the welt on the bottom portion of the sheath. 1/2" is certainly more than enough but what the heck right?
OuxSXCS.jpg

First stab at a piece to mount the pocket clip with, I added 3/8" from the tracing of the pocket clip. Something seems off about it though.
Zmuv28C.jpg

Uhh, whoops. That's a bit much.
k7xFYll.jpg

Don't even say it Gypsy...
x4tsJpk.jpg

The tooling and carving is immaterial to the pocket sheath build so I won't go into that. Here's the cut out and dyed sheath body and mounting piece for the pocket clip.
OkXtPnC.jpg

And there's the peanut gallery when I realized I needed to have reversed the design for left handed pocket carry. They have no opposable thumbs, what do they know.
7Xl431W.jpg

Edges rounded off on the body and mounting piece, mounting piece edges slicked up and dyed, welt cut out and the inside dyed.
sCV35b7.jpg

I spent a bunch of time measuring and centering the pocket clip and rivet hole. Then when I set the rivet it floated off to one side. Bummer. Gonna have to figure out a way to fix that. Or pretend like it's not there.
xw6YnOr.jpg

I scribed a line 1/2" from the middle of the sheath onto the tooled portion of the sheath. It was probably silly to tool the whole front when I'm going to cover up such a big chunk but it's for me so I'm ok with it.
YTXVR8a.jpg

Scribed around the clip mounting piece with an awl.
0uDGZDX.jpg

Scuffed it up with some sandpaper.
uv8Ch35.jpg

Grooved and marked my stitch holes on the mounting piece. I narrowed it a bit too much, the clip pushed the stitch wheel out a couple of times.
GSzZTxm.jpg

Barge cement applied to both pieces.
ua1kPUy.jpg

After the cement set up for about 15 minutes the pieces were mated up and clamped together for an hour or so.
ft4gaCm.jpg

There's going to be a lot of thread inside the sheath so I cut in hard to make sure as much of the thread as possible won't be rubbing against the knife.
rcX9AG7.jpg

Sewed on to the main body.
Pvsjk64.jpg

Here's the welt glued and clamped in.
ZyILhz1.jpg

Edges rounded and stitch groove cut in.
Zvsberh.jpg

Stitch holes marked with an overstitch wheel.
IcU07Jo.jpg

Sewn and edges slicked up.
PPoLyI8.jpg

Back side. Hi Gypsy!
0zC8WJ1.jpg

First coat of Tan-Kote applied.
4JErcM5.jpg

With a 5.1 sheath I finally got around to sewing up tonight.
EQxxnLh.jpg

The speckling on the 5.1 sheath should even out as the oil levels in the leather. I wouldn't mind if it doesn't though, looks good as is.
eWh64jk.jpg

Also sewed and finished the edge on the CPK FK sheath tonight. Good group of knives there.
lTWJqSM.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with the retention of the pocket clip. When I try to unsheath the 2.7 I typically just pull it out of my pocket; sheath and all. I think I may be able to crank down on the bend of the clip and increase the tension but I may just need to look into other clip models. I'll post this over in the sheath subforum for the guru's opinion at some point but in the mean time my eyeballs are drying up so I guess that will have to wait. I dig the 2.7 a lot but I was leery of the whole inside the pocket leather sheath thing but now that it's done I could see myself getting used to it. I'll carry this one around for a while, see what I think about it. Hopefully next time I make one for myself I'll actually make it so I can use it left handed :D

Thanks for sharing that grog. I know the post was mostly about the pocket sheath, but man that field knife sheath just looks really good to me, the pattern, the profile and the smooth leather break just set it off :thumbsup:

Wow, excellent work, grogimus grogimus
I've never done any leather work, so it was really interesting to get to read through and see pics of the whole process. Your work keeps getting better and better :thumbsup:

Hi Gypsy :D

Thanks man. The pocket clip thing has had me scratching my head for a while.

Thanks for sharing that grog. I know the post was mostly about the pocket sheath, but man that field knife sheath just looks really good to me, the pattern, the profile and the smooth leather break just set it off :thumbsup:

I like the butterfly style sheaths quite a bit, they complement the shape of the knife pretty well. They're also more prone to giving you a little jab every now and then than a round or squared off end but it's nothing serious that I've noticed.

They got a couple more coats of Tan-Kote then a coat of Montana Pitch Blend buffed in and I played around with the brightness and contrast of the pics rather than relying on my crappy lighting/photography skills.

6s998Y5.jpg

9gxOG81.jpg

gfaqiQi.jpg

8CQwAji.jpg

m1tq8Q6.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with the retention of the pocket clip. When I try to unsheath the 2.7 I typically just pull it out of my pocket; sheath and all. I think I may be able to crank down on the bend of the clip and increase the tension but I may just need to look into other clip models. I'll post this over in the sheath subforum for the guru's opinion at some point but in the mean time my eyeballs are drying up so I guess that will have to wait. I dig the 2.7 a lot but I was leery of the whole inside the pocket leather sheath thing but now that it's done I could see myself getting used to it. I'll carry this one around for a while, see what I think about it. Hopefully next time I make one for myself I'll actually make it so I can use it left handed :D

Grog, didn't I include a pocket-clip adapter on your pass-around 2.7's kydex sheath? It was just a slab of kydex with a NiteIze eCLIPse mounted to it - that style of locking clip is the only thing I've found that works for me for pocket-carry of a fixed blade - latches on to the pocket and doesn't let go until you make it do so. You could adapt one to your leather sheath with or without a kydex plate attachment.

Another option is to cut a flange in your metal pocket clip or just bend the very end of it UP to hook the pocket on a draw - something to provide the teeth to keep the fish from escaping, if you get my meaning. It's late, my apologies if that isn't clear...

Grog, didn't I include a pocket-clip adapter on your pass-around 2.7's kydex sheath? It was just a slab of kydex with a NiteIze eCLIPse mounted to it - that style of locking clip is the only thing I've found that works for me for pocket-carry of a fixed blade - latches on to the pocket and doesn't let go until you make it do so. You could adapt one to your leather sheath with or without a kydex plate attachment.

Another option is to cut a flange in your metal pocket clip or just bend the very end of it UP to hook the pocket on a draw - something to provide the teeth to keep the fish from escaping, if you get my meaning. It's late, my apologies if that isn't clear...

That Nite Ize clip is brilliant, it definitely locks it into the pocket.

apSujIP.jpg

The other leather pocket sheaths I've seen looked to just be using a metal belt clip so I expected it to behave itself and stay put like I wanted it to. If I don't figure out a way to make the regular clips more secure that's an excellent idea to find a way to mount one of those instead.

Back