Photos The Tantalizing Triumvirates - Same frame/pattern, all three Great Eastern brands

traumkommode

Gold Member
Recently, I found a grail, and paid through the nose to get it - a Great Eastern Cutlery branded #68 White Owl pen knife in stainless steel, 1 of 5 produced in Light Chestnut Jigged Bone, new in tube. I had already owned a Tidioute (it spent a brief stay with someone else, but I called it back when I got the stainless, because I thought it'd be nice to have one in each blade steel.)

Prior to this happening, Will Power Will Power had sent me a gift as a thanks for getting ahold of some recent GEC releases for him. He didn't tell me what it was, and I figured it'd be something cool and inexpensive. It was lost in postal world for a while, but it finally arrived during this process of assembling the previously mentioned 2 WOs. Turns out, Will sent me a Northfield trim #68 White Owl with removed bail and cocobolo covers. My excitement about the wood and cloud shield aside, I realized, this will be the first time I have had an assembly of the same pattern on the same frame in all three GEC brands.

I was excited for a week and a half to get home and get a shot of all three of them:

27128829777_793ea471ab_b.jpg

41953833912_5629425093_b.jpg

41279008924_a108748772_b.jpg

So! Let us see your Tantalizing Triumvirates, your Holy Trinities, your Hat Tricks, your Triple Plays, your Threes-Of-A-Kind, your collection of Great Eastern Cutlery knives across all three brands of the same pattern and frame. Also encouraged would be if somehow you have different frames/patterns but the same cover materials across all three brands, but I'm not sure how many of those actually exist. We do already have a GEC Group Shot thread, so that would be a good place to feature your mix-n'-match sets of the three brands.

Man, traum, those three are choice! I think I may have a couple of these to put together, so look for pics soon.

I don't have any trios (yet), but congratulations on scoring that stainless white owl traumkommode traumkommode ! You've got me on the lookout for stainless GECs ever since we began talking about them when I poked my head into the stainless thread (if I recall correctly).

traumkommode traumkommode Very nice picture and actually rather amusing! The White Owl I sent you has already spent part of its life in the same company, I too have a Rust Red Tid and a Light Tan Cyclop's Works stainless!:D:D What an ironic co-incidence:cool: Where are the other 3 Light Tans? A fantastic knife too and makes me yearn for more stainless from GEC:thumbsup: But in their book it seems less is more....:rolleyes:

traumkommode traumkommode Very nice picture and actually rather amusing! The White Owl I sent you has already spent part of its life in the same company, I too have a Rust Red Tid and a Light Tan Cyclop's Works stainless!:D:D What an ironic co-incidence:cool: Where are the other 3 Light Tans? A fantastic knife too and makes me yearn for more stainless from GEC:thumbsup: But in their book it seems less is more....:rolleyes:

Wow, that is funny! In India, it would be called some kind of Karma... I'm curious where the other two are, too.

I don't have any trios (yet), but congratulations on scoring that stainless white owl traumkommode traumkommode ! You've got me on the lookout for stainless GECs ever since we began talking about them when I poked my head into the stainless thread (if I recall correctly).

Thanks Josh! There is potential navy knife (or lambsfoot, if you prefer) trio material, as there were Tidioute and Northfield Navy knives produced.

Doubt I can play this one. Anytime I acquire a pattern in stainless, I use it as an excuse to thin the collection of any 1095s I have in the same model. Got find some way to end up with less knives.

It's hard to find identical patterns. Here are the three brands in the #74 pattern, but the stainless blade doesn't match the other clips.
View attachment 903023

That lineup is gtg because the 74 frame rocks so hard. I wish they'd do the clip point in stainless, I love that knife.

Congrats on the triplets. My father's chosen profession was conductor on the Rock Island Railroad, have always had a soft spot for them.

conductors.jpg

conductors1.jpg

conductors2.jpg

conductors3.jpg

I was hoping to see conductors, and I had thought about this set of yours, John. Very nice, very classy.

Nice White Owls, Kevin and Will! I love EE patterns!
Wonderful set of conductors, John! Great choice of handles. Nice that they remind you of yer Dad!!

Here's some 73s. Kind of 'cheating' here in that the top one acorn shield was originally 2 blade but the knife magicians turned it into a single :cool: Used to be marked 2006 but that was on the other blade. A flat bolster Northfield with chamfered edges 2008 and the Tidioute Beaver Tail from 2007 this has a different blade more like a skinner than the conventional DP. The only other Tidioute 73s I have are liner locks and that's yet to be done in stainless.

Bhbwnd0.jpg

Good weather today allowed me to take some pics.

#74 - cougar clawed Northfield, elk GEC, coffee house Tidioute
74stagboneacrylic.JPG

#48 - blackwood Northfield, cherry GEC, ram horn Tidioute
48wood.jpg

#53 Acrylics - dead skunk Tidioute, nighthawk GEC (SFO), blue oyster Northfield
MyUOidA.jpg

#53 Woods - bocote Tidioute, snakewood GEC, ancient kauri Northfield
4WiOkbU.jpg

#53 Bones - carved pumpkin Tidioute, red wine GEC, primitive bone Northfield
9vnM34g.jpg

#53 Stags - caribou Tidioute, red stag GEC, genuine stag Northfield
53stag.JPG

I'm pretty sure the caribou is one of the rarest GECs extant: the only first cut stag used on a Tidioute, and the only caribou stag ever used.

Last edited:
Back