Off Topic The term edc and it's usage.

It's just an overused acronym. Do what you want and don't worry if there is a term for it. I don't carry the same things every single day of my life, so by the strictest measure I don't have anything at all that is a true EDC item except my wedding ring that I don't take off.

I've personally viewed the term as "everyday" rather than "every day." http://www.dictionary.com/e/everyday-vs-every-day/ Meaning plain, normal, average, ordinary. As opposed to special occasions or special purposes. Otherwise it's essentially a meaningless term that doesn't really apply to actual use.

Your "everday" carry is stuff you just have with you for general purposes.

^^^
This

As a knife maker I use the term meaning that the knife is good for daily carry and general use. Its not so much designed or sized for a specific job. For instance my Buckaroo model would make a great edc, not so much one of my filet knives. It is a knife guy thing though. Many of my customers have no idea what edc means.

Its a term, category label. Are work boots only wore by people when working? I wear hiking shoes almost everyday but im not hiking. These might be crappy examples but my point is edc can mean a literal description or just a term to describe a category a object falls into. An edc knife or flashlight, for example, means to me that its sized right for carry out and about in my everyday life.

What we're functionally getting into here is prescriptive vs descriptive language. I strongly recommend embracing the descriptivism, as EDC gets an idea across, simply and concisely to those in the community. Words have meanings, yes, but the greater purpose of words and language is to communicate quickly and clearly. If I say to anyone, "Oh, it's an every day carry kind of knife," precisely none of them will be staggered by the commitment to carrying one, particular knife every single day.

Um, no. Just no. The term as it is conveys the meaning just fine. Don't over think it.

I dont know....right now I am carrying my NTFMTFC (nine to five Monday through Friday carry), and later I will probably switch to a AWAADOWOVCUIACC (after work and all day on weekends or vacation unless I am camping carry). So I think the whole thing works pretty efficiently and clearly (EAC).

That said, "pedc" troubles me if someone thinks one of its letters is a similar looking letter. Just sayin'.

What we're functionally getting into here is prescriptive vs descriptive language. I strongly recommend embracing the descriptivism, as EDC gets an idea across, simply and concisely to those in the community. Words have meanings, yes, but the greater purpose of words and language is to communicate quickly and clearly. If I say to anyone, "Oh, it's an every day carry kind of knife," precisely none of them will be staggered by the commitment to carrying one, particular knife every single day.

Thanks, "Norm Chomsky." :rolleyes:

:D

To the op man you seem to over think a lot of stuff. I don’t know if it is to come up with thread topics just to have something to post. Or this simple stuff really bothers you? We all love knives and gear here instead of worrying about all the bs just enjoy carrying your knives man.

It's a term used solely by knife people. If someone says/writes this is an EDC knife, the majority of knife people know that while it is not necessarily the only knife that person will carry, but rather, it will, in it's ownership with that person be carried and used. Hence "EDC knife"
If you use that term "EDC" outside of the knife world, people will look at you like you're stupid, and you'll have to explain what EDC means. But here in our world, it's an accepted acronym that doesn't need to be explained.
Now, why in the wide wide world of sports would you want to change a term that is universally accepted on any knife forum? Learn what it means, recognize it's here to stay, and know it cannot be changed. But, do whatever you wish, it's gonna be silly when you have to spell it out in lieu of the acronym when people won't have a clue what you're saying. Sometimes you have to go with the flow of things.

To me, EDC is more about a philosophy then the literal interpretation of the three words. I try to be prepared and carry tools that I might need to make life easier, more convenient, or safer. 98% of the time that I am awake, I have knives, wallet, cell phone, flashlights, 9mm, keys, and watch on me. My key chain has a SAK classic and Olight i3L flashlight. I have some combination of a knife, MT, or SAK on me. I usually carry a AA flashlight as well in addition to my key chain flashlight (tend to work 2nd or 3rd shift, so I'm out when it is dark). I carry my 9mm with me everywhere I am allowed by law in the state of MI (CPL, not a LEO). When I get in my truck, my BOB/Get Home Bag is within reach.

Have I ever ran out to the store to get a gallon of milk and not have a knife or 9mm on me? Yup, but not often.
I absolutely agree with gazz on this one...
Knock yourself out. You can hang out with the "whumping and thumping" guy and have your own secret made up language.
Silliness.
The rest of us will be talking to each other using stuff like EDC, and "flipper," and "plumbus," and "swedge," and knowing what each other are saying.
That's how language works.
While I might disagree with the PEDC acronym, I certainly think that its a bit extreme to show such distaste as you do here... Not looking to get criticized, but I know I've posted some less-popular ideas around the internet before, and I appreciated the fact that people were understanding and helpful. We want to foster growth on this forum, and if I don't like a post (and its not an issue of life principles), I really just shouldn't reply (and yes, this one is an exception because there are some good thoughts here).
To me EDC is a confusing and now watered down term and I don't really care for it and don't ever use it off of the Internet and rarely use it on the internet. I don't use internet acronyms in general because I don't really want to participate in the dumbing down of humanity.
ABSOLUTELY!!
It's a term used solely by knife people. If someone says/writes this is an EDC knife, the majority of knife people know that while it is not necessarily the only knife that person will carry, but rather, it will, in it's ownership with that person be carried and used. Hence "EDC knife"
If you use that term "EDC" outside of the knife world, people will look at you like you're stupid, and you'll have to explain what EDC means. But here in our world, it's an accepted acronym that doesn't need to be explained.
Now, why in the wide wide world of sports would you want to change a term that is universally accepted on any knife forum? Learn what it means, recognize it's here to stay, and know it cannot be changed. But, do whatever you wish, it's gonna be silly when you have to spell it out in lieu of the acronym when people won't have a clue what you're saying. Sometimes you have to go with the flow of things.
I think that may have been true as recently as a year ago, but I think EDC is becoming way overused nowadays. It's just like 'tactical'—everyone wants to associate their product (or someone else's that they like) with something cool and military-sounding. Unfortunately, acronyms are sometimes best if they aren't popular. Frankly, I think that this thread has ignored an issue here (overusing acronyms and military terms to sound cool) which would be really interesting to discuss.

Last edited:
While I might disagree with the PEDC acronym, I certainly think that its a bit extreme to show such distaste as you do here...

Where's my "distaste"? I told him to go ahead and do it.

That said, as I pointed out, we are knife discussion community here and we have a certain common lingo we use to communicate ideas to each other. If someone wants to make up their own lingo, as I said, go nuts, knock yourself out...but nobody is going to know what the hell you are talking about.

And I can understand if one doesn't care if anyone here knows what they are saying...but then why post?

Hang around, zf, and you will see the community and its language in action.

I definitely don't disagree with your premise; it just sounded a little harsh on the poster from my angle... :)

Last edited:
I think maybe that the term originated with the gun people ?

I guess it's the every day part of edc that throws me off, and I probably should just give it up as far as knives are concerned.
It's a handy acronym, but I don't really have an " edc " knife in the literal sense.

I realize that I have on multiple occasions decided to simply say carry instead of edc, so I think I'll just go with that because the pedc thing is kind of dumb now that I think about it.
No need for an acronym when an actual word is only 1 or 2 letters longer, and besides acronyms are for the military anyways.

I wasn't really focusing on that new stuped acronym I came up with, but the fact that the acronym edc seems a bit over used though I didn't say that very well.

Where did edc even come from anyways ?
Why the need to specify " every day carry " instead of just leaving it at " carry " ?

Who needs acronyms and specifics, I'm just going to go with " carry " from now on because it's an actual word which says exactly what it is. i carry a knife or knives and they're not all the same and that's all there is to it I guess.

Thanks for talking some me sense in to me everyone :thumbsup:

I guess it's the every day part of edc that throws me off, and I probably should just give it up as far as knives are concerned.
It's a handy acronym, but I don't really have an " edc " knife in the literal sense.

I realize that I have on multiple occasions decided to simply say carry instead of edc, so I think I'll just go with that because the pedc thing is kind of dumb now that I think about it.
No need for an acronym when an actual word is only 1 or 2 letters longer, and besides acronyms are for the military anyways.

I wasn't really focusing on that new stuped acronym I came up with, but the fact that the acronym edc seems a bit over used though I didn't say that very well.

Where did edc even come from anyways ?
Why the need to specify " every day carry " instead of just leaving it at " carry " ?

Who needs acronyms and specifics, I'm just going to go with " carry " from now on because it's an actual word which says exactly what it is. i carry a knife or knives and they're not all the same and that's all there is to it I guess.

Thanks for talking some me sense in to me everyone :thumbsup:
IIRC , the term " EDC " originally implied a serious commitment and often a real lifestyle change to be prepared for SD and other emergencies . Often used as a verb . Example : " Bubba actually EDC's his Glock and Spyderco Warrior rather than locking them in the vault most of the time ."

Knock yourself out. You can hang out with the "whumping and thumping" guy and have your own secret made up language.

Silliness.

The rest of us will be talking to each other using stuff like EDC, and "flipper," and "plumbus," and "swedge," and knowing what each other are saying.

That's how language works.

Did you see the shocking exposé on Plumbus manufacture?

All that fleeb juice...

My EDC for 5 days of the week is the same knife. Same watch too.

On the weekend I'll spice it up with a different watch and knife. Then back to the same two for the work week.

This helps to keep my head out of the clouds and focused on the job, knowing I get to play on the weekend.

Back