Off Topic The term edc and it's usage.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hickory n steel, Dec 21, 2017.

1. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    One man's madness is another's entertainment . ;)

2. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    If you really carry one knife every day you are likely in the minority.

That said my only true truest of true EDC knives is my little white SAK classic that is on my keys. I tend to leave my house everyday day so that knife gets carried.

3. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I don't disagree with you...but I sort of do.
    I EDC (as mentioned earlier) a modern folder, a traditional folder, a pen, a lighter, at least one flashlight (usually 2, not counting the one on my keyring). I cannot always carry a fixed blade; but I do if I can. If I'm asked what my EDC knife is, my response would reference the knives as described. I don't EDC any one specific knife, pen, or lighter. Heck, I don't even grab the same set of keys every day; and I switch wallets periodically just because I feel like it.

DocJD likes this.
  4. bt93

bt93

May 12, 2015
    I would suggest that those who find the use of the acronym "EDC" to be something worth arguing about that your brains are NEDC. As such, I'll explain the "N" stands for never.I just assumed you would never figure that out.

5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    People arguing this is one of the problems I have with it.
    Doesn't " carry " make a whole lot more sense ?
    it means the exact same thing except context takes care of any points for argument.

You carry it and thats all that matters, however the context of your post, sentence...ect will specify it's carry if you want people to know.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  6. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I believe you are missing bt's point. I believe you are the one who argued against this term.

Superdave1 and palonej like this.
  7. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    You can call it flarfnaggle as long as the people you're talking to, understand you.

8. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Sigh..........

9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    That is the way I see it as well. Never heard of pedc before this thread.

Obviously EDC captures the stuff (widgits) you normally carry with you. It could be most anything. For me it certainly includes a cell phone. Since I only own one, there is no doubt which cell phone I will carry. Knives are different simply because I have quite a few. But I tend to have 4 or 5 that I will routinely carry depending on how I feel or what activities are planned. Do the 4 or 5 change? Yep, but it takes an earthquake to change my habits once they are established.

This year (2017) I started carrying a Steel Will Mini Cutjack in M390. It has pretty much been in pocket since I bought it a couple months ago. In the past, the ZT 0770CF did that and the Benchmade Mini Barrage (585) did as well.... for a while. Everything other than a SAK was bounced when I got the Cutjack and I pair those two up. That said, for the last couple of weeks, I have been carrying my stag LionSteel small Opera quite a bit and using it. It sat unused for over a year until I decided I wanted to carry it. It has displaced the large 111mm SAK. ....Thinking I need to dig out one of my small SAKs that I seldom carry and slide it into my pocket as well for a three knife combo and I don't count the Leatherman Squirt that earned its more or less permanent place on my keys and in my pocket for the last couple of years.

gadgetgeek likes this.
  10. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    You're really just being pedantic. EDC is the acronym that caught on to mainstream appeal, but it doesn't mean you have to carry the thing literally every day. Its like having a daily driver car, you don't have to drive it literally daily.

I've found EDC to refer to items that are useful to you often enough that you would want to be carrying them in case you need them. Seeing this term used by others to refer to wallets, watches, flashlights, tools, and knives, I think that's an appropriate definition. If you have that much of a problem with it, start using your own personal term, and see if it catches on with others.

11. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Seems like a marketing term to me more than anything else.
    The one that really annoys me is ‘tactical’.
    I have seen ads for Tactical lip balm, fire starters, toothpaste........really???

lieferung likes this.
  12. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I think "regular carry" is probably more descriptive of the knives we carry rather than edc.

danbot likes this.
  13. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    How else can you be prepared to fight gum disease? :D

DocJD and palonej like this.
  14. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Definitely.

15. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Think of regular carry knives like a woman's purse. Most women have more than one, but they usually carry something to keep all their junk in. I would have said men's wallet, but I honestly carry or wear the same wallet until it falls apart.... or simply looks like crap. Then I get a new one if I can find one I like. Hence we need spares; Spare knives too for that matter...

16. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Tactical is out. :thumbsdown:

Strategic is in! :thumbsup:

"Check out my new strategic flashlight with tiger stripes and sure-grip jimping! Matches my new strategic EDC flipper with tiger stripes and sure-grip jimping. Way cooler than the old tactical one."

palonej and danbot like this.
  17. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    LMFAO! Damn, Marci... but that was funny as hell.

Mecha, you are on to something here. I can now have two identical knives, each with a different "mission parameter".

PEDC? Nope. Kinda like calling an "STD" a "MSTD" because it's "Mostly" transmitted sexually.

Don't overthink this.

palonej and Mecha like this.
  18. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Why THINK at all ? You all might hurt yourselves !:rolleyes:

19. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout

Mar 10, 2010
    Call it what you want and carry what you like.

Jordon Winkler's "The EDC Song" on YT always makes me smile.

DocJD likes this.
  20. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new-terminology-regular-carry-rotation.1207084/

You're welcome. ;)