Off Topic The term edc and it's usage.

If you really carry one knife every day you are likely in the minority.

That said my only true truest of true EDC knives is my little white SAK classic that is on my keys. I tend to leave my house everyday day so that knife gets carried.

Words have meaning. To me EDC means exactly what it says. Neither the words nor the phrase are difficult. Nothing wrong at all about carrying the same knife every day or not carrying the same knife every day, but for a knife to be an EDC means you carry it every day, else the term EDC has no meaning. I know people who always have a knife on them. Some have EDC knives. Others don't. To each his own.
I don't disagree with you...but I sort of do.
I EDC (as mentioned earlier) a modern folder, a traditional folder, a pen, a lighter, at least one flashlight (usually 2, not counting the one on my keyring). I cannot always carry a fixed blade; but I do if I can. If I'm asked what my EDC knife is, my response would reference the knives as described. I don't EDC any one specific knife, pen, or lighter. Heck, I don't even grab the same set of keys every day; and I switch wallets periodically just because I feel like it.

I would suggest that those who find the use of the acronym "EDC" to be something worth arguing about that your brains are NEDC. As such, I'll explain the "N" stands for never.I just assumed you would never figure that out.

I would suggest that those who find the use of the acronym "EDC" to be something worth arguing about that your brains are NEDC. As such, I'll explain the "N" stands for never.I just assumed you would never figure that out.
People arguing this is one of the problems I have with it.
Doesn't " carry " make a whole lot more sense ?
it means the exact same thing except context takes care of any points for argument.

You carry it and thats all that matters, however the context of your post, sentence...ect will specify it's carry if you want people to know.

Last edited:
....If you were to walk from your house to the nearest whatever is walking distance (mailbox, gym, 7-11) what do you have in your pockets/on you. That to me is your EDC. The stuff that is second nature, and is just there without thinking about it.
That is the way I see it as well. Never heard of pedc before this thread.

Obviously EDC captures the stuff (widgits) you normally carry with you. It could be most anything. For me it certainly includes a cell phone. Since I only own one, there is no doubt which cell phone I will carry. Knives are different simply because I have quite a few. But I tend to have 4 or 5 that I will routinely carry depending on how I feel or what activities are planned. Do the 4 or 5 change? Yep, but it takes an earthquake to change my habits once they are established.

This year (2017) I started carrying a Steel Will Mini Cutjack in M390. It has pretty much been in pocket since I bought it a couple months ago. In the past, the ZT 0770CF did that and the Benchmade Mini Barrage (585) did as well.... for a while. Everything other than a SAK was bounced when I got the Cutjack and I pair those two up. That said, for the last couple of weeks, I have been carrying my stag LionSteel small Opera quite a bit and using it. It sat unused for over a year until I decided I wanted to carry it. It has displaced the large 111mm SAK. ....Thinking I need to dig out one of my small SAKs that I seldom carry and slide it into my pocket as well for a three knife combo and I don't count the Leatherman Squirt that earned its more or less permanent place on my keys and in my pocket for the last couple of years.

People arguing this is one of the problems I have with it.
Doesn't " carry " make a whole lot more sense ?
it means the exact same thing except context takes care of any points for argument.

You carry it and thats all that matters, however the context of your post, sentence...ect will specify it's carry if you want people to know.
You're really just being pedantic. EDC is the acronym that caught on to mainstream appeal, but it doesn't mean you have to carry the thing literally every day. Its like having a daily driver car, you don't have to drive it literally daily.

I've found EDC to refer to items that are useful to you often enough that you would want to be carrying them in case you need them. Seeing this term used by others to refer to wallets, watches, flashlights, tools, and knives, I think that's an appropriate definition. If you have that much of a problem with it, start using your own personal term, and see if it catches on with others.

Seems like a marketing term to me more than anything else.
The one that really annoys me is ‘tactical’.
I have seen ads for Tactical lip balm, fire starters, toothpaste........really???

I guess it's the every day part of edc that throws me off, and I probably should just give it up as far as knives are concerned.
It's a handy acronym, but I don't really have an " edc " knife in the literal sense.
I think "regular carry" is probably more descriptive of the knives we carry rather than edc.

Think of regular carry knives like a woman's purse. Most women have more than one, but they usually carry something to keep all their junk in. I would have said men's wallet, but I honestly carry or wear the same wallet until it falls apart.... or simply looks like crap. Then I get a new one if I can find one I like. Hence we need spares; Spare knives too for that matter...

Seems like a marketing term to me more than anything else.
The one that really annoys me is ‘tactical’.
I have seen ads for Tactical lip balm, fire starters, toothpaste........really???

Tactical is out. :thumbsdown:

Strategic is in! :thumbsup:

"Check out my new strategic flashlight with tiger stripes and sure-grip jimping! Matches my new strategic EDC flipper with tiger stripes and sure-grip jimping. Way cooler than the old tactical one."

Thanks, "Norm Chomsky." :rolleyes:

:D

LMFAO! Damn, Marci... but that was funny as hell.

Tactical is out. :thumbsdown:

Strategic is in! :thumbsup:

"Check out my new strategic flashlight with tiger stripes and sure-grip jimping! Matches my new strategic EDC flipper with tiger stripes and sure-grip jimping. Way cooler than the old tactical one."

Mecha, you are on to something here. I can now have two identical knives, each with a different "mission parameter".

PEDC? Nope. Kinda like calling an "STD" a "MSTD" because it's "Mostly" transmitted sexually.

Don't overthink this.

Call it what you want and carry what you like.

Jordon Winkler's "The EDC Song" on YT always makes me smile.

Obviously it stands for everyday carry, but does that mean every single day ?
Everyday for how long ?
How many here actually have a literal edc ?
What are your carry / rotation habits ?

I have a rotation of users that I normally go through usually giving each a week's carry at a time ,they're carried everyday but only for a period of time which happens to be for a week.

What about a new term such as periodic edc or pedc ?

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new-terminology-regular-carry-rotation.1207084/

You're welcome. ;)

Back