The truth about Fällkniven S1 Pro

That's quite an allegation to call the owners of Fallkniven "conartists". Perhaps you could explain, or better yet provide a link to support your claims so readers can understand what you are talking about.
Let's not get all bogged down with "facts".

But seriously what's with all the folks wrecking big blades attacking birch trees? The birch here is so soft I can peel it with my fingernails and If I cross check it on the wood charts it's nothing special.

Another fun fact is,.I'm pretty sure the pro series have lifetime warranty!! Either way I'll still take my Fallkniven 's over anything else out there! OP probably got himself a fugayzi
Falky! However, opinion 's are like cornholes, everyone has one and they all stank cause there is crap behind em!

That's quite an allegation to call the owners of Fallkniven "conartists". Perhaps you could explain, or better yet provide a link to support your claims so readers can understand what you are talking about.

Swedish knives made in japan and not marking the blades.
Survival knives that aren’t meant to baton wood.
Only original purchaser with receipt will get warranty service for defects.

Swedish knives made in japan and not marking the blades.
Survival knives that aren’t meant to baton wood.
Only original purchaser with receipt will get warranty service for defects.

Thanks but I thought you might have had some more substantial reasons for calling them "conartists", in which case I wanted to know about it.

- The question of the Country of Origin not being on FK knives could to some extent be considered deceitful. FK knives originally had the COO on their knives, first Germany then Japan. And while it does not appear on current knives, the FK website makes no secret of who is making them and where. So I don't see a great concerted effort at hiding it. Besides, discovering that your knife was actually made by arguably the top fixed blade maker in Seki isn't the same as discovering that it was made in some unknown factory in China, after having paid a very high price. Still, I do agree that Fallkniven should be putting the COO on their knives if for no other reason than to avoid charges such as yours.

- Not sure where you got the idea that FK survival knives are "not made for batoning".
From the Fallkniven site:
"At over a 1/4 inch thick, this knife begs to be used for splitting and batoning."
https://fallkniven.se/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/knives-illustrated-a1x-mayjun2020.pdf

- Fallkniven knives have a 10 year warranty. The Pro models in the Premium packages come with a lifetime warranty. Fallkniven does not have manufacturing or servicing facilities in the U.S. so knives need to be shipped to Sweden and back. If the warranty work requires it may even have to be shipped back to Japan and back again, a procedure that is costly and at a great disadvantage with US knife companies who can afford to be more generous. Non-transferable product warranties are far from uncommon, in which case initial registration or purchase receipt is standard practice. Besides, how often are fixed blade knives of any brand sent back on warranty? I have yet to see one where the user didn't do something ridiculous to cause damage. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not very frequently.

Just my 2 cent view.

Are Fallknivens good knives?
- yes, lots of people swear by them.

Are there any issues with them?
- yes, which is to be expected at such large quantities being sold, every company has lemons.

Should there be less issues with them at this price range?
- yes, there's fair share of complaints for something so expensive.

Are they best buy knives?
- definitley no.

They make great knives, but the performance of their knives doesn't match up the pricing, and their warranty is far from the best.
Fallkniven is a name, and that itself will guarantee quality for some people. I dislike their pricing and steel choices, I paid large CPM-3V fixed blade cheaper than F1x costs.

Then you see F1x description:
Your X-knife is the strongest, sharpest and safest stainless steel knife in production. If your life is in danger, you can always rely on your X-knife. It is designed to withstand all the stresses applied by the human hand, which means that it is virtually indestructible. It assumes, however, that you are careful with the knife and that it is used as intended, namely as a sharp precision tool. A knife of this kind is of course not a throwing knife, nor is it particularly good at splitting wood – for those functions, you’ll find an axe to be both better and cheaper.

The basis of the X-knife’s strength lies in the laminated cobalt steel, and also in the well-thought-out construction in which break zones have been eliminated. Together with the hand-shaped convex edge, the X-knife is a concept that beats everything else in the world in terms of safety and comfort.

So they clearly said that F1x isn't meant to baton "...nor is it particularly good at splitting wood...", YET THEY CLAIM THIS: "Together with the hand-shaped convex edge, the X-knife is a concept that beats everything else in the world in terms of safety and comfort."

Concept that beats everything else in the world?
They also first stated THIS: "Your X-knife is the strongest, sharpest and safest stainless steel knife in production. If your life is in danger, you can always rely on your X-knife" and called it virtually indestructible "which means that it is virtually indestructible".
And after that you have THIS: "It assumes, however, that you are careful with the knife and that it is used as intended, namely as a sharp precision tool."
That's rather disappointing after such a bold statement, and plain ridiculous!

So, you expect me to pay 250€ for something that I'm going to use as a precision tool? 250€ for something that small and I'm not even able to use it properly? I can use a scalpel as a precision tool!
They need to get their stuff together, majority of knives in 50€ price range will do here described use just fine without any issues, some might even outperform them at such use. And there's many knives out there that provide way better performance for smaller price, and have better warranty.

Just yesterday i chopped a couple of birch trees with my S1x, which has the same laminated cobalt steel and blade thickness as the pro.

The largest one was about 2 inches thick. No problem there.
Absolutely no chipping or rolling. It might occur though, but unless i was to hit a stone or hard ground, i really doubt it.

Acctually i was suprised at how good the S1 was at chopping.

I'd guess that 98.5% of Fallkniven's knives have no issues! The other percentage, well anything that involves a human is going to get fouled up at some point just because of the repetition. I've never been disappointed with any of my Fallkniven knives. No issues. None.
However, stuff happens! It's sux when your new toy.lets.you down, no matter what it cost! That feeling is what it is. There is a lot of solid info out there on most things! There is also the whiners who love hearing their own voice!! I have no problem spending money on a Fallkniven knife! New.or used, odds are you'll be passing it along to your kid one day!!

l have a limit on what we will pay for a Knife.
Fallknivens price point for run of the mill designs is way beyond what I would outlay for a Knife from that steel and limited warranty.
In my opinion they are priced about three times what they are worth.
You basically read my mind on this :D

New.or used, odds are you'll be passing it along to your kid one day!!
True, but the same can be said for lots of way cheaper knives.

And also, there's something extremley satisfying when you pay a knife under $100 or 100€ and proceed to beat the crap out it for years without an issue :D

Read the first post. Edge damage caused by batoning. Claim denied since it's an activity beyond the capabilty of their S1 survival knife.
Where in the first post does the OP say this? Much like how you support this site, you can't just make stuff up in your mind.

Where in the first post does the OP say this? Much like how you support this site, you can't just make stuff up in your mind.
Let me check...
My dealer contacted FK and explained this and FK pretty much replied that their steel is very good, thank you very much. They indicated I had used it too hard, I almost started laughing out loud at the office while reading their reply. And it looks like the dealer enjoyed it as much as me.
I'm not sure, it looks like FK was contacted, not by OP himself, but by his dealer.

Maybe OP should contact them himself and see if it makes a difference (I doubt, but there's still a chance).

Also, this is the largest forum on the internet and it gets plenty of attention by lots of knife enthusiasts, average joes or people who just want to buy a knife. Not to mention sheer number of lurkers who don't have an account here.
Why am I saying this?
- Well... Fallkniven might change their minds once they see people speaking out loud about them not being fair since they could lose sales because of this. And I doubt that profit margins on their knives are low. They are selling knives worth 80-100€ for 300€ and 400€.

They hype up their knives as something best you can buy, and for that same knife on their webpage was written: "The Pro Series are survival knives of near-unimaginable quality, durability and performance."
And then they're like "Don't baton". Like seriously? At this price point and with such description I'll expect that I can take apart a Space Shiuttle with it and still shave afterwards!

This is coming from a person who is beating the hell out of 65€ knife for years now, and for me it's kinda unreal that there's a company which will charge you that much, and then be so ignorant when there's a problem with their product.

Esee would be much better choice, their knives are maybe not stainless, they are certainly strong and proven and they stand behind their product 100% - no questions asked! They aren't cheap for 1095 steel, but fit and finish are on point, HT is good and warranty is just something else. Plus, it's still way cheaper than Fallkniven.

After reading of the OP's travails with the handle, the sheath, and the blade I am confident I could take one of those knives and have no issues at all with normal cutting chores.

This can be best termed a "learning experience" for him. What he learns is up to him.

Noss tested the Fallkniven A1 to destruction. While he was able to break the knife, he found it to pretty good:
"All together, you have one serious tough and functional knife all the way around. Fallkniven truly makes some incredible knives.

"Whatever hype Fallkniven has amassed, they deserve."
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fallkniven-a1-destruction-test-video-completed.496194/

Fallkniven knives are expensive, but I find their fit and finish, their functional design -- and especially aesthetics -- to be excellent.
2v2ut1n3LxAWtWs.jpg
their

Personally, I find they perform better and look better than Randalls.

2v2EaTMWWxAWtWs.jpg

The thing is, that any one knife can be a lemon.

Here's the edge damage from an A8(mod) blade -- heat treated by an excellent maker -- after a few chops of small, free-hanging branches:
2v2HtjWnqxAWtWs.jpg

After I realized that I had a lemon, I did some destructive testing. I clamped the blade in a vice at a point where the steel was 0.95 inches thick. Then, using just the handle of the folding knife, which I did not want to damage, I applied maybe 30-40 pounds of lateral pressure -- not enough to damage the knife itself. But even then, under relatively light pressure, the steel would not hold.
2v2HtjqEWxAWtWs.jpg

Let me check...

I'm not sure, it looks like FK was contacted, not by OP himself, but by his dealer.

Maybe OP should contact them himself and see if it makes a difference (I doubt, but there's still a chance).

Also, this is the largest forum on the internet and it gets plenty of attention by lots of knife enthusiasts, average joes or people who just want to buy a knife. Not to mention sheer number of lurkers who don't have an account here.
Why am I saying this?
- Well... Fallkniven might change their minds once they see people speaking out loud about them not being fair since they could lose sales because of this. And I doubt that profit margins on their knives are low. They are selling knives worth 80-100€ for 300€ and 400€.

They hype up their knives as something best you can buy, and for that same knife on their webpage was written: "The Pro Series are survival knives of near-unimaginable quality, durability and performance."
And then they're like "Don't baton". Like seriously? At this price point and with such description I'll expect that I can take apart a Space Shiuttle with it and still shave afterwards!

This is coming from a person who is beating the hell out of 65€ knife for years now, and for me it's kinda unreal that there's a company which will charge you that much, and then be so ignorant when there's a problem with their product.

Esee would be much better choice, their knives are maybe not stainless, they are certainly strong and proven and they stand behind their product 100% - no questions asked! They aren't cheap for 1095 steel, but fit and finish are on point, HT is good and warranty is just something else. Plus, it's still way cheaper than Fallkniven.
My question was rhetorical.

Read the first post. Edge damage caused by batoning. Claim denied since it's an activity beyond the capabilty of their S1 survival knife.

I highly doubt FK would say that their knives can not be batoned with, untill I see som actual proof of this I am raising the bullshit flag on the OP.

I have batoned heeps of wood with my FK's. No problem.

I don't know how the hell the OP managed to damage his blade doing what he said he did, but something is off. Either the blade or the whole story.. It certainly is not normal for this to happen on a quality fixed blade just batoning wood..

Last edited:
Regarding the splitting of wood, FK certainly mentions the virtues of an axe over their F1x. Maybe they should knock a hundo off the price then.

" A knife of this kind is of course not a throwing knife, nor is it particularly good at splitting wood – for those functions, you’ll find an axe to be both better and cheaper."

Something still is amiss here.

Back