The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Buck Custom Shop, 501 Squire, S30V, Engraved, Black leather sheath, standard Cherrywood, Oak or Walnut for no extra charge, 4-6 weeks for $93.50
Done...
BladeForums2020-%2BBuck501.jpg
I'd be in for one of those for sure! :thumbsup:

Buck Custom Shop, 501 Squire, S30V, Engraved, Black leather sheath, standard Cherrywood, Oak or Walnut for no extra charge, 4-6 weeks for $93.50
Done...
BladeForums2020-%2BBuck501.jpg
These look good.
Can we make it past minimum order? Or just order as many as who wants one ...
Payment up front into an account specifically opened for this project...the funds go in and can only go to Buck or via a trusted dealer....postage too has to be factored in..
Hurdle number 1 still has not been cleared...Sparks approval for bf name to be used...
So this year we get an off the rack production model but at least we keep the tradition going..

Thats gotta be worth it.....wonder if Buck would open an account for us and for an extra 10bux each do the organising and posting frieght charges on top?? Cant hurt to ask..

These look good.
Payment up front into an account specifically opened for this project...the funds go in and can only go to Buck or via a trusted dealer....postage too has to be factored in..
Hurdle number 1 still has not been cleared...Sparks approval for bf name to be used...
So this year we get an off the rack production model but at least we keep the tradition going..

Thats gotta be worth it.....wonder if Buck would open an account for us and for an extra 10bux each do the organising and posting frieght charges on top?? Cant hurt to ask..

the buck 501 looks just ok - maybe we can have choice here

Last edited:
These look good.

You make several good points. We did have a third party go-between (SK Blades) to help us with our last BF Buck knife. Also, I know Buck will not engrave a trademarked name (without permission).

My thought is Buck did not close during the crisis and could probably handle an order. And if we are late in the year, this might be a quick and easy.

I do like the 501 but would be happy with any Buck knife or any brand knife. A Buck Custom shop knife is a little nicer than off the rack so it would be a little upscale at least.

Except this isn't really a BF Knife per se; it doesn't have our stamp, it's nothing you couldn't order on your own, and it doesn't have Sparks blessing. And, as painful as the process can be, it hasn't been bought off on by the members of this board.

My regular carry is a BF annual. It's a pattern that had not been run in 30 years. It's not been duplicated since we had them made. I was involved in the "design" (not always on the winning side, but part of it). It was part of a fairly small run. It's a pattern that had not been run in 30 years. That's a special knife, and to me, that's what we should strive for.

I have always maintained the annual knife should be something special. The best have all been unique, out of the ordinary, and uncommon. I seriously think we've lost that with the focus on getting everybody a knife at a fixed price point. I would totally be on board with limiting the number of knives over the price point. And, while I have purchased the majority of the annual knives since they started, the last couple have frankly been a disappointment.

I have no desire to see the annual knife for this forum degenerate into another object that only has value because it's "collectible". There's a Beany Baby forum for those.

eisman eisman I wholeheartedly agree with you...we should strive for something special and unique each year ...but these are strange times and perhaps some flexibility is needed with regard to this....personally I think it will be special enough for me this year even if it is off the rack...vamped up handle would do wonders ....a fixy would be a first also....look its food for thought ..nothing more...I reckon we should pounce while the irons hot...accentuate the positive....no one has to buy it...I simply dont want to see this good thing (the annual bf trad knife) falter and go down before the first hurdle...the track is already very heavy and slow for now.
Cheers.

What? there's a clique? How come I haven't heard of that? I wanna be part of the clique! Where do I sign up? I'll get t-shirts made up with a large "BFC" in olde English script silk-screened on the front... :D

I'm not a fan of engraving the blade and there is no substitute for the BF Stamp, but it's something Buck does and can do without delay. Buck did a BF stamp on our 2018 Buck 301 knife, so I lean that way for sure!

The Buck 501 Squire (originally the Esquire) first appeared in the 1975 Buck Catalog. This would be the 45th year anniversary of the knife. It does have a locking mechanism, but to me it's old enough to be traditional.

There are other covers available too (at an added cost) that really would make a Buck 501 special. They offer Black Palm Wood, Ironwood, Buckeye Burlwood, Elk Horn, Water Buffalo, and two Jigbone (Ruby or Sunset) along with the others mentioned.

Here is my Sunset Jigbone.

Buck%2B501%2BNew%2BKick%2B-%2B02.jpg

I'm not a fan of engraving the blade and there is no substitute for the BF Stamp, but it's something Buck does and can do without delay. Buck did a BF stamp on our 2018 Buck 301 knife, so I lean that way for sure!

The Buck 501 Squire (originally the Esquire) first appeared in the 1975 Buck Catalog. This would be the 45th year anniversary of the knife. It does have a locking mechanism, but to me it's old enough to be traditional.

There are other covers available too (at an added cost) that really would make a Buck 501 special. They offer Black Palm Wood, Ironwood, Buckeye Burlwood, Elk Horn, Water Buffalo, and two Jigbone (Ruby or Sunset) along with the others mentioned.

Here is my Sunset Jigbone.

Buck%2B501%2BNew%2BKick%2B-%2B02.jpg
Good looking knife. But I like a tang stamp. No engraving or etching the blade. (The only blade etch I like is the Indian rowing a canoe on the amber bone Case canoe.)

What? there's a clique? How come I haven't heard of that? I wanna be part of the clique! Where do I sign up? I'll get t-shirts made up with a large "BFC" in olde English script silk-screened on the front... :D

Hate to tell you this ... but ... if you don't know there's a clique, not only are you not in the clique, but you're not even in the running. Sorry.

Edit to say: And that tee shirt thing? That's why you're not in the running. ;)

Back