The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Because if you post a picture of a 110 in the Traditional forum there are howls of indignation from the us versus them crowd...
Can you post a quote of one of those howls? I see 110s and similar lockbacks posted all the time with no objections. (unless they have pocket clips or torx screws or some other newfangled modification)

My only reservation about a Buck 501 / 503 / 505 is that they don't feel especially special to me. I don't need every forum knife to be a unicorn, but those small lockback type knives are pretty common.

Hate to tell you this ... but ... if you don't know there's a clique, not only are you not in the clique, but you're not even in the running. Sorry.

Edit to say: And that tee shirt thing? That's why you're not in the running. ;)
being bullied on social media is an ugly thing.... :( now I need a hug.

or a new knife... :thumbsup:

I don't want to muddy the water of what traditional is. I mean County music lost it's appeal to me when they started integrating pop and rap style crap into it. I don't want to be that guy. On the other hand a little change is good. Over time everthing gets old and eventually to some, traditional.

Because if you post a picture of a 110 in the Traditional forum there are howls of indignation from the us versus them crowd...

From the forum guidelines:

“If a regular knife user of the mid 1960's would find nothing out of the ordinary about the design, then it's traditional.

That means large Buck 110-ish lockbacks are in.”

Hey, folks, it's fine with me. As far as I'm concerned a knife is a knife, and I want them all. I've seen grumbling about what a traditional knife is, that was my only point, the 110 being one of the victims. I didn't know the forum rules specifically voted the 110 in, I'm glad of that.

I know this will blow over... hornetguy is sure to need a hug sometime soon. Or something.

Howls of indignation? I know what you mean....it's a weird mob sometimes....but whenever I hear indignant howling I feel I should either back slowly away maintaining eye contact or turn the hose on....the Buck 110 has to be the most iconic traditional pocketknife in history....after Excalibur and Jim Bowies own Bowie knife....Lets put the howler monkeys out of their misery... BUCK 110 FOR 2020 BF TradForum KNIFE !!
Because lets face it...we have two contenders (in theory) GEC and Buck....realistically and I dont mean to sound harsh...the way things are at the moment we are going to have to make do with a cosmetically enhanced production model.....or??

I'm all ears....

Only problem with an 110 iconic as it is, is it's too big and just too much BRass ;):D

If GEC cannot or will not offer a pocket-knife for consideration then my oft stated choice is for a fixed Buck with the BF tang-stamp. something different (yet to be a fixed blade Forum Knife) and something Buck and the dealer can very competently deal with. I'd prefer this to a Buck lockback personally.:thumbsup:

Only problem with an 110 iconic as it is, is it's too big and just too much BRass ;):D

If GEC cannot or will not offer a pocket-knife for consideration then my oft stated choice is for a fixed Buck with the BF tang-stamp. something different (yet to be a fixed blade Forum Knife) and something Buck and the dealer can very competently deal with. I'd prefer this to a Buck lockback personally.:thumbsup:
112?

If not a Buck of some sort, a lockback from GEC would be awesome as well.

A dose of reality folks...it's June.

This isn't happening. We've been lucky to get knives ordered in March delivered in November, and that's when everyone was open for business. At this point we're too far behind the power curve.
I think the end-of-the-year delivery of last year’s knife had less to do with things happening on our end and more to do with where GEC had that pattern scheduled. I guess my point is, we didn’t need to have the knife ordered by March to get it by December/January. We got it in December because that is when the knife was scheduled to be made.

112?

If not a Buck of some sort, a lockback from GEC would be awesome as well.

Indeed a LB from GEC would be welcome, especially an 83:cool:

But, GEC don't produce LBs with the same precision as other manufacturers, those with a loathing of slight blade-play in an LB will find rich seam of complaint about GEC's approach....Plus an LB will likely be quite costly. But I'd lap up another 83 like I say:thumbsup:

Which brings us to another pitfall: the 100 USD arbitrary price limit needs raising, it's been at that level for several years. OK some people say it must be a knife within the grasp (;)) of all but this could mean a knife with not much presence or ID, just an engraved SAK or whatnot, no thanks. Ideally, the Forum Knife should be special/unusual but this year, IF a knife happens it will be a take it or leave it offer due to the covid impact etc. GEC's schedule must be well behind and it's immersed in producing the 23 two blade, a large knife that I suspect does not have a big following....BUT they might want to offer a 'special' of some pattern (14,33,62 etc) that could be very worth taking up.

Buck 110 Lockbacks? Oh yeah! Everybody needs a few.........OH

Buck-110-1968-1988.jpg

Once again, disregarding the aesthetics, before we start trying to decide on what we're willing to settle for, these questions need to be asked.

1. Is there someone willing to head this effort?
2. Where is the money coming from? (Based on the last couple years we'll need $40-50,000 up front.)
3. Who's willing to take delivery and cover shipping?
4. Is Spark going to buy off on this?

Settling for anything over nothing is a sure way to insure disappointment.

I think question #4 is the first step. It does seem like the forum owner could tell everyone whether he wants to allow this for 2020.

I don’t think anyone “covers shipping”, rather it is built into the knife price.

It would be wise to make everyone pay in advance to reduce the financial burden on the dealer, and to eliminate cancellations.

I agree the $100 limit should be raised to 125 or 150, and I also believe there should be a 5 or 10 dollar per knife profit for the dealer that does all the work of delivery, and it would be nice if we had a 5 - 10 dollar charitable component for each knife given to a worthy charity.

But until the forum owner says yes or no to a 2020 forum knife concept we are in limbo.

Limbo-Fail.gif

I think question #4 is the first step. It does seem like the forum owner could tell everyone whether he wants to allow this for 2020.

I don’t think anyone “covers shipping”, rather it is built into the knife price.

It would be wise to make everyone pay in advance to reduce the financial burden on the dealer, and to eliminate cancellations.

I agree the $100 limit should be raised to 125 or 150, and I also believe there should be a 5 or 10 dollar per knife profit for the dealer that does all the work of delivery, and it would be nice if we had a 5 - 10 dollar charitable component for each knife given to a worthy charity.

But until the forum owner says yes or no to a 2020 forum knife concept we are in limbo.

Limbo-Fail.gif
I agree, also huge upvote for the limbo gif....that's a perfect image of the year 2020 so far.....

Back