The unskilled survival kit

First aid beyond stop bleeding with direct pressure needs to be taught first hand. Its a perishable skill that needs practice and upgrading. Clogging a person with too much info to read is counter productive.

urge to take a course. Its too late to perform CPR after you have read how to do it.

Skam

First aid beyond stop bleeding with direct pressure needs to be taught first hand. Its a perishable skill that needs practice and upgrading. Clogging a person with too much info to read is counter productive.

urge to take a course. Its too late to perform CPR after you have read how to do it.

Skam

I agree, and your right that most first aid books would be to much.
But general information about how to prevent shock and similar things would be good, but I guess that is what we are accomplishing with all of the other things (staying calm, warm, etc...).

I always appreciate your comments and insight skammer.

L

one thing i think would be really good to have along with a wistle is a small mirror or other reflective object even a music cd works well an s.o.s. is verry simple 3long flashes then 3short repeted over and over this can be seen much farther than a whistle or any other noise can be heard.

Hey willy m , welcome to bladeforums and thanks for making your first post to this thread, its much apprecitated. We actually already have the signal mirror included in the kit. I think you can see it there on page 10. It was a late entry due to my oversight. But the other great posters on here caught the mistake and we included it finally. Hope you stick around. The survival/wilderness forum is a really cool place to hang out.

Actually, an SOS is three short, then three long, then three short. This is literally morse code for the letters SOS.

I wouldn't cheap out on the mirror by packing a CD intentionally though. If that's all you've got, by all means use it, but dedicated signal mirrors are far more effective, and inexpensive. (Cheaper than a music CD, but obviously not cheaper than an AOL CD. ;) )

Hey willy m , welcome to bladeforums and thanks for making your first post to this thread, its much apprecitated. We actually already have the signal mirror included in the kit. I think you can see it there on page 10. It was a late entry due to my oversight. But the other great posters on here caught the mistake and we included it finally. Hope you stick around. The survival/wilderness forum is a really cool place to hang out.

Shipwreck, would you consider updating the original post with the revised list? It would good for me to read through everything, but that might help others more, and keep repeat posts to a minimum as well. Just a thought.

I always appreciate your comments and insight skammer.

L

Thanks, some dont get my matter of fact way of typing or thinking without emotion. I never mean to come across as contrite. Its the business writing side of me.:rolleyes: To the point.

Good points you bring up. It reminds me that Adventure Medical Kits has a decent pamphlet on FA basics. Its a one pager but is complete. It is geared towards those with some training but an intelligent lamen may get some info from it. Not sure if you can buy it outside their larger kits or not. Mine was included with the kit itself a few years back.

Gotto got to bed now, teaching a non stop 36 hour advanced SAR course with a large first aid component in the morning, O dark hundred.

Skam

A bic lighter, a candle, and a water proof card with written instructions for making a fire. If they cant figure it out from there, do you really want them back?

Shipwreck, would you consider updating the original post with the revised list? It would good for me to read through everything, but that might help others more, and keep repeat posts to a minimum as well. Just a thought.

You know naked I had thought about that. But I think its serves as an additional learning experience for posters to watch how the list evolved over time. I think there is something instructive in how the posts reflect a bit of a struggle to understand what the unskilled survivor requires. It also reveals important gaps in the knowledge of the posters here on this forum, who have far more experience and skill than the average person likely to be facing a survival crisis.

You know naked I had thought about that. But I think its serves as an additional learning experience for posters to watch how the list evolved over time. I think there is something instructive in how the posts reflect a bit of a struggle to understand what the unskilled survivor requires. It also reveals important gaps in the knowledge of the posters here on this forum, who have far more experience and skill than the average person likely to be facing a survival crisis.

True, but maybe changing the wording of it to inform the readers that it is mostly completed, just to keep people informed of the progress. Again, thanks for "moderating" this.

for a noob like me, I've got to say that it's been amazing watching this thread evolve.
I'd say it should be a sticky.

for a noob like me, I've got to say that it's been amazing watching this thread evolve.
I'd say it should be a sticky.

What is a sticky thread? I've seen them out in the forums, but I've stayed away from clicking them because I didn't know what "sticky" meant. Anybody know since it was brought up?

What is a sticky thread? I've seen them out in the forums, but I've stayed away from clicking them because I didn't know what "sticky" meant. Anybody know since it was brought up?

It is a thread that is "Stuck" at the top of the Wilderness and Survival Skills forum. Where as normal threads move off of the front page as newer threads are posted.

Usually the best of the best, or really important threads get "stickied".

L

It is a thread that is "Stuck" at the top of the Wilderness and Survival Skills forum. Where as normal threads move off of the front page as newer threads are posted.

Usually the best of the best, or really important threads get "stickied".

L

OH! Thanks for clearing that one up, I guess I've been missing out :eek:. I'll be sure to click on those then, and this thread gets my vote for a sticky thread :thumbup:.

Something interesting that I bought today is the "Coughlan's Survival Kit in a Can" It consists of 38 items which can provide warmth, shelter, and energy in life threatening situations from the desert to the arctic. That was a quote from the package. It was $10.00 usd at Academy sports and outdoors. Really neat actually.

Here is the link to it:

http://www.equipped.com/kiackit.htm#contents

Just scroll down, it's very interesting, and only a little bit bigger than a sardine can. Something useful just to add to the entire fanny pack all on it's own. Hope this helps, J.

I use this type of survival "cans" to build my own. I usually extend them, for example the fire starting has to be overdone to redundant levels. Also the first aid kit is usually too small. By they are good and small. One thing I like to to split it into little boxes or bags writing on them what they are for, e.g. FIRE. Boxes are easier to reclose than ziplock bags in cold conditions but both are fine.

I use this type of survival "cans" to build my own. I usually extend them, for example the fire starting has to be overdone to redundant levels. Also the first aid kit is usually too small. By they are good and small. One thing I like to to split it into little boxes or bags writing on them what they are for, e.g. FIRE. Boxes are easier to reclose than ziplock bags in cold conditions but both are fine.

Well of course I have my own kit which I use for camping, which can be very useful in a 'survival' situation, I just recommended taking a look at the coughlan's kit as an extra item to toss into the whole bunch.

I might forget to pack something, so in a 'real survival' situation that little can might have its "time to shine" so to speak. I wouldn't grab my knife and that little kit and say, "honey, I'll be back on Sunday after I live in the backcountry for two days with just this kit." It is just one of those things that the few extra ounces MIGHT come in handy.

Those damn bobcats and sprained ankles could pop out of nowhere. I'd rather have extra stuff than just the bare essentials.

If my rant seems like an attack it's because I'm tired and I should already be in bed, lol. I was just trying to say,"I'm excited that I just bought this kit and you guys should take a look at it. You never know when you might be able to add it to your packs or just take some useful info from it to make your own." I know here in Texas I don't risk just using the ~5 pound test fishing string that comes with the kits, I grap the spiderwire 30-50 pound test that is the same thickness and add some of my hooks :D.

o-k guys i need a bit of help. i have 2 questions #1 im new to this site obvisouly so could somebody please tell me how i go about asking a question without posting it at the end of somebody elses. im not real computer literate so could you tell me how please? q#2 my problem is this. when i drill holes for the pins in a tang or handle the pins are tight to the point of sometimes not fitting at all. if i have a 3/32,1/8or1/4 pin what size drill bit do i use? i see in places on this site when someone mentions bit size they refer to them in numbers i.e #24, #25 ect. i live in the eastern us our hardware stores stock them by fractions of an inch. how do those #s relate to fract. or metric? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Back