The "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Warranties" Club

wow. love that A-100.
more pics, please.

here's mine.
this started off as a cqc7V
v2jCSdu.jpg

^ That is HOT! How does she handle? How does she slice? What have you done to it, since you've had it?

I've polished the convex tip as you see it in the pics, polished the spine, replaced the washers to 2x0.015" nylatron on each side (came with teflon washers), re-set the detent ball and improved the detent, polished the pivot screw and thumbdisk, swapped out the clip for a Ti deep-carry one. I also filed notches on the lockbar to make it easier to manipulate. She is a great slicer if you've gotten the hang of using a chisel grind. The only thing it doesn't seem to be suited for is opening up clamshell packaging since the tip is rounded/convexed.

20140708_034336.jpg

A closer look at the A-100 as customized by Nathawut. Framelock conversion, bolstered on one side with a dovetailed & cross-hatched G10 scale, Ti backspacer and Nath's bull pivot.

20140130_204343.jpg

20140130_204316.jpg

20140130_204415.jpg

20140130_204000.jpg

thanks for the pics of the A-100.
so very nice, brings out the lines so well.

yes, i picked up that knife here on the X.
Pete Gray (gray precision) pimp job with Rossi reblade with chisel grind, lignum vitae scale and titanium back spacer.
with a pete gray bead, naturally.
it used to be featured on his website front page

it's a little thick and heavy put crazy sharp.

Title says it all. I've never had to send in a knife for warranty work, as I feel that I should be able to fix whatever problems I might encounter with a knife without sending it to the manufacturer. Late lockup might be the most daunting issue to deal with,.

I totally agree. I NEVER worry about warranty work on anything mechanical (Cell phones, Knives, Harleys, hot-rod cars etc etc), I always void the warranty immediately LOL

I recently set my Strider SnG to lock up earlier by carbodizing the titanium lock face......

~John

I really like what you did, I have looked at the above image for days, wondering if part of the handle or grip was Real Elephant Ivory, as it look white, and grainy like Elephant Ivory.

I personally tend to leave item stock, or only modified to the point warranties, or guarantee at still in place. As with most products, part of the selling price is the after sales service, or free warranty repair, so I see no reason to destroy something you paid for.

Plus me and anything but simple tools never got along. I am a klutz, know in my case in my case it is always cheaper to hire a pro to do a simple repair, I do not want to attempt. Think hiring a pro to fix a major mess I created on attempting a project I am not capable of.

I dont know if RR84 got back to you on this but I believe its Ivory micarta, I'll see if I can get him to chime in.

The Persian. I lusted after this blade for a while, but was never really able to get one because it had been hard to find a nice, clean example in the different forums' for-sale sections, and that it had been discontinued and was impossible to find in stock at any of the dealers I looked up. One day, I got a PM from a fellow knifenut that he found a dealer online that had new ones in stock. I wanted to get 2 satin/SW ones (one to customize, and one for backup), but when I placed my order it wouldn't let me check out because apparently there had only been 1 satin left in their inventory. I had the last satin/stonewashed Persian available online in my cart. I checked out with that one, and a black version.

Even before I ordered it, I already had an idea of what I wanted done, and Nathawut brought it to life.

The day I received it:
IMG_20131011_110150_657.jpg

The day I got it back from Nath:
[video=youtube;t4jrYVH_kJc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4jrYVH_kJc[/video]

20140328_024212.jpg

20140214_202449.jpg

20140214_202402.jpg

20140214_202436.jpg

Ridiculously beyond green with envy. Too be honest I'd love to own any Persian, can't seem to nab one!!:D

That's a spectacular piece there bub, cheers!

OP, that's the most beautiful set of "modded" Emersons I've ever seen.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Could you please post more pictures of the Karambit (did it start as a Super?) and what you did/had done to it?

OP, that's the most beautiful set of "modded" Emersons I've ever seen.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Could you please post more pictures of the Karambit (did it start as a Super?) and what you did/had done to it?

Thanks for the compliments Matt, the nod should however, go to the guys that did the customizing. Nathawut Petchkong, Andrew Charlet (fastlt1nos), and Reese Weiland are indeed masters at this kind of work.

I purchased the Super Karambit from a member on the USN, and it had already been modified by another customizer (there's a video of it on YT). It had a yin-yang theme with its ghost jade & CF scales, and had a gear-patterned backspacer. What the vid or pics don't show is that the backspacer was too thin, causing the screws to bottom out on the opposite scales and upset the fit of the rest of the knife. When open, you could shake the knife and the blade would flap around horizontally even if you tightened the pivot to the point of having just enough retention for the detents to hold it closed. The CF overlay was ground too thin and uneven in some spots, and while it looked great at arms length, that had to be replaced too.

I had seen many customized Combat Kbits, and a few customized Super Kbits, and I was thinking about sending it to Nathawut for a framelock conversion. However, I already had plans to send my Persian out to Nath when he was ready, so I decided to send this out to Andrew Charlet (fastlt1nos) since he did an amazing job with my rescued CQC-7, another one that I got used (and abused). I told him to give it the bolstered treatment with micarta scales, and in addition to the new backspacer, he also beadblasted the liners to match the bolsters. I love how it came out, and reminds me of a Combat Karambit that Ferrrk had done.

As I received it (the bolstered 7 was done by fastlt1nos previously):
20131030_162608.jpg

After:
20140721_230415.jpg

20140721_230539.jpg

20140721_230100.jpg

20140721_225826.jpg

Many say it's too big, but it's just right for me.

Back