1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The weight of your EDC knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Wildone39, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Wildone39

Wildone39

Dec 17, 2007
    I am always bouncing back and fourth on what to carry in a perfect knife. I like my Kershaw Storm II but the weight of it seems a tab bit on the heavy side. I also carry some sort of SAK on my side. If I carry a SAK in a sheath on my side then I dont like carrying a cell phone in a case on my side either. I just wanted to know what is your weight limit when it comes to you on what knife would be good to carry? Weight and how much is to much.

2. bitter1

bitter1

Mar 3, 2008
    I find that if you put a limit on what your EDC knife is you limit yourself too much so I just carry what the heck I want from a small case lockback to an Emerson CQC 8 whis is about a 5oz knife.

3. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    To me, there really isn't a weight limit. I rather feel each knife, and see if it has a good feel to it. If it is a 3 ounce blade and feels good in the hand, I am fine carrying it. If it is 3 ounces, and it feels "off" I won't use it for EDC. If the knife is 7 ounces and it feels good, I will EDC it. If it feels "off" I won't use it for EDC beause the way it feels.

To be honest, most of my EDCs are around 3-4 ounces I believe.

4. rackness

rackness

Oct 31, 2004
    My only weight limit is if my pants are falling off it is too heavy.:D Other than that I am good.

5. tjsulli790

tjsulli790

Jan 13, 2009
    Sometimes I'll grab my Rukus which is around 7 ounces, or sometimes my Spyderco Pacific Salt which is 3 ounces. The weight difference never really seems an issue for me.

6. knivesandguns

knivesandguns

Mar 6, 2008
    I'm with tjsulli

Somedays, I go extra heavy (ZT 0300 + extras), and sometimes I'll feel like going light (pair of kershaw leeks). Depends on what I'm doin' too though.

7. rifon2

rifon2

Oct 9, 2005
    I like my EDC to be slim and light, very high quality and very sharp.

Something like a Benchmade 530 or A.G. Russell Featherlite in ATS-34.

8. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I'd guess that half a pound is my limit.

I've carried a 110 in my pocket and it wasn't too much.

9. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    The weight of my Begg GG is 3.6 oz.

10. beefynerd

beefynerd

May 12, 2007
    :thumbup: +1 here for the Rukus. It's been my fave EDC for some time now. I even carry two knives at a time sometimes, with my BM Skirmish being my left hand carry. Weight has never been much of an issue for me when it comes to my EDC.

11. Locust

Locust

Sep 30, 2008
    I'm with you on that one. I rarely pay attention to knife weight.

12. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    I've never actually owned a folder that I thought was too heavy. I can clip just about any folder in my pocket, and can't really tell a weight difference.

13. Getahl

Getahl

Dec 22, 2007
    My Buck 110 was too heavy for pocket carry. I picked up a 112, still too heavy. I generally like lighter knives; I don't want to have to wear a belt if I don't have to :)

14. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Old Endura: metal clip, no liners, 3 oz exactly on the $10 postal scale.

15. A.P.F.

A.P.F.

Mar 3, 2006
    My Buck Folding Alpha Hunter at 8oz is about the maximum I am comfortable with.

16. mikehopkins

mikehopkins

May 23, 2007
    I am old school in the jeans department and wear slim fit Wranglers. Not the skinny ones just the old Cowboy cut. I EDC a LM Wave or Charge on my belt and flashlight too so whatever folder I carry is a bulk issue not weight. If your are looking for big without weight the Lone Wolf T2 with the FRN scales is just about perfect for me. The ZT0200 is great too. Both are great knives with little weight and bulk but big enough for hard use.

17. SIFU1A

SIFU1A

May 12, 2001
    i'm not too picky about weight but some knives are too heavy for pocket carry imho, a strider AR or GB for one, too bulky and heavy, but it doesnt matter a lot too me,

18. vcincent

vcincent

Jan 24, 2009
    I enjoy collecting larger knives, but when it comes to EDC I stay with my keychain SAK. I see no reason to carry anything larger in an urban/indoor environment.

19. supasuprab0b

supasuprab0b

Jan 25, 2009
    i am not picky about weight either. I actually prefer a beefier knife such as the g10 offset from kershaw (have only used a friends cant wait till i can afford my own)

20. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    WT M2---3 oz.
    :D