The weight of your EDC knife?

Case trapper or Victorinox Adventurer are at the top end for pocket carry for me.

If the knife is heavy, I like it clipped to the pocket. If I can't because of 'legal' reasons, I don't care for the feel of a heavy knife in the bottom of my pocket so I carry it in a pocket sheath that distributes the weight all across my leg rather than dragging down the bottom of the pocket. Feels much lighter that way!

Stitchawl

For years I carried heavy knives like the Puma Game Warden or Buck 110 in my back pocket. But since I've discovered titanium framelocks my knives weigh about a quarter of what they used to... My EDC these days consists of either a small classic Sebenza, (2.5 oz) a Buck/Mayo TNT (2.7oz) or the featherweight Buck/Mayo Waimea. (1.5 oz) These knives are so light you forget they're even clipped to your pocket.

Last edited:
Weight is important for me, since I carry multiple knives in my pockets on a daily basis. Usually I have a Case Swayback, a RAT Izula, and either my BM 530 or zdp Delica. I tend to prefer lighter knives, but don't object to heavier ones either.

I always have a SAK Huntsman on my side or a Leatherman Blast, so that is a definate for me but in my pocket I usually carry either my Kershaw Storm II or a Spyerco Native but now I think Im gonna carry a Kershaw Vapor. The Vapor fits me well along with a good SAK. I actually like the Native better but the clip doesnt seem to hold the knife very well so Im scared of losing it. The Vapor seems to be a good knife. Ill just stick to that combo for a while. Thanks for the Ideas guys.

My blade-tech ulu drags my pants down a little, but my spydercos are great, I can't feel them, but I know they're there. FRN's the way to go.

I generally do not pay attention to the weight of my EDC. I just know the weight was in the specs., so I posted it.

After 32 years of being a cop (I am now retired), there is no practical limit to how much junk I can (and do) carry on my belt. A typical day will find me carrying a Colt Commander, my Gerber Freeman folder, a multi-tool, a SureFire flashlight, and my BlackBerry. And that's still a BIG improvement over what I used to carry.

Weight isn't generally an issue for me. Unless I'm bumming around the house and just don't feel like packing full gear, I generally carry a full size multitool in a belt sheath and a larger folder in my pocket.

What i don't like is CHUNK. I guess its ok if the pocket is JUST for the knife to ride in, but i hate having to fish around it to get out change or keys or something. Right now, I am digging an Endura 4 clipped to my back pocket. I don't even know it is there until i need it.

Currently I'm EDCing a Benchmade mini skirmish. This is exactly what I wanted in an EDC knife:
1) 3.5" blade of good steel.
2) Titanium handles.
3) Frame lock.
This one weighs in at 3.7 oz. on a digital postal scale. :thumbup:

My current EDC is a Benchmade 530. Blade length 3.25 inches, weight 1.88 ounces. So yeah, light is the way I prefer it.

Bradley Alias 1 w/skull paracord fob - 4.4oz (right front pocket)
Boker Subclaw - 2.2oz (left,rear side on belt)-KA-BAR Last Ditch Knife(laced in my boot)weight= not even relevant.
DSCI0430.jpg

Total EDC= 6.6oz

I've been consistant with this combo for about month now.It's a very comfy(for lack of a better term:eek:) fit.I don't even know they're there.The subclaw is one of the few knives I can open & close with my left hand.The Alias is one of the best folders I've ever owned.I'm very happy with it(at least until I get a Sebenza;):D)

When I'm bummin' around the house in my sweats,all I carry is my Case (CV) Peanut - 1.4oz

Last edited:
I'm one of the ZT0300 or less guys so put me down for 8.7 ounces or less.

I suppose I could commit that 3.5 to 5 ounces is probably where I feel best. The knife is light but doesn't feel fragile . . .

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the weight of each, but I carry a military clipped in one pocket and either a sodbuster or sak in the other. This seems to be about right and I never think that I have too much weight in my pockets.

This may be because I carry two cell phones, a Glock 21 .45, and a pair of handcuffs on my belt that I don't notice because I have done it for so long.

But when I am off work the two knives tend to be the rule, rather than the exception. Somedays the Griptilian replaces the Military if I'm in shorts. This is usually because of the handle size and not the weight though.

Weight is very important to me. I'm about 280 lbs. If I carry a knife over 4 oz, I tend to walk in circles.

My stuff ranges from 2.3 (Kershaw Skyline I believe) to 6+ ounces. Weight is essentially a nonfactor for me. I can't tell the difference between 3 oz and 5 oz like some (nutnfansy heh). I already have a cell, fenix, and MT hanging off my belt, a few oz wont make a difference.

I think my Spyderco Native weighs less that 4 ounces. I don't like to cary anything much geavier that that for EDC.

Back