The "Whatever" Thread

I just read that the owner of Going Gear, Marshall Hoots, passed away at the age of 37. I bought a lot of stuff from him over the years, and he was one of my first customers when I was just starting out making knives part time, even before I started stamping them with my K. Very sorry to read this.

Congratulations on your big day! Connie and I will be having our 30th anniversary this December, time goes by too fast.
30 years, that's awesome! I wish you guys the best and can only hope to achieve that level of love/commitment with my bride.

I just read that the owner of Going Gear, Marshall Hoots, passed away at the age of 37. I bought a lot of stuff from him over the years, and he was one of my first customers when I was just starting out making knives part time, even before I started stamping them with my K. Very sorry to read this.
That sucks.Way too young.
He used to post on BF a lot, but I guess business got in the way.(he even gave BF members a discount:cool:)
I love(ed) how he would send a little freebie like a pill container or whistle or whatever with orders.
RIP Marshall.

More pics hot off the press....
One thing nice about retiring early is I get to get out on days like today and enjoy the cooler temps and sunshine that doesn't bake the brain.
HqMIh9t.jpg

NwBFTm1.jpg

PAwKvaS.jpg

ylUT2M0.jpg

AYzqSI2.jpg

I was walking up one of the old roads heading to a trail and noticed Old Glory flying at half mast across the street from the park and had to get a pic in remembrance of the Vegas victims.
EIA24rT.jpg

I've never believed in telling others what they want to hear. I either keep quiet or speak my mind. My mother is extremely old fashioned christian who very seldom has a negative comment about anyone. This is a recent phone conversation with her:
Mom - Did you know John Doe who worked for public works?
Me - yeah, he's an a#$hole
Mom - oh, he passed away yesterday
Me - that means he's a dead a#$hole
Mom - I thought you might want to know
Me - Want to know there's one less a#$hole in the world?
(after several seconds of silence)
Mom - okay I'll call back later, love you
Me - love you

Well the big day was Saturday. The weather was perfect and everything went smoothly. My JK helped me with my task of feeding the 60 some people that showed up. It was a bit stressful catering my own wedding but everything we did helped keep the cost down. Plus I do enjoy cooking so it was a fun challenge for me. Though I like to stay mysterious I thought I'd post a picture of us. I hope everyone had a great weekend.

View attachment 774803

Congrats on your special day!

How does Mr. JK feel about linen or even paper micarta? I know you don't do G10 and other certain materials.

How does Mr. JK feel about linen or even paper micarta? I know you don't do G10 and other certain materials.
No problem, just cost a bit more. The tan handle CSK-2 is linen micarta, and so is my tanto. The Commando was ivory paper micarta.

Wednesday I took some camping gear up to my sister to use on a trip she's taking later this month.
And of course I took a couple of pics while there.
Wed. evening she wanted to check out a little lake nearby that she saw on google earth so away we went.
Across the lake is a private community with all kinds of signs stating so and to keep out so we continued up the road and found this narrow spot here for launching a boat.
VlQ4Xxr.jpg

Her little Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix 'Buddy' was cracking us up playing with some leaves in the water.
vsYXB6T.jpg

Then yesterday we went to a park on a local river and spotted a beaver swimming along.
7pJBDbI.jpg

vSIJldY.jpg

328KFhz.jpg

fdSwfWJ.jpg

Then when we got back I snapped some pics of more of her ex's vehicles.
I'm not sure if any of these were actually used by the military but the Ex would drive around with a bunch of other guys to shows and events all over the country.
Everything belongs to her daughter now and she is going to auction them off someday she says.

I love, love, love old Chevy panels and this one I lust after because it would make a great camping rig.
There is also one of built as a hotrod with a lowered suspension, a 454 and 50s in the rear. It's locked up in the garage so no pics.
B8XttLU.jpg

Nr8ajhO.jpg

UNMSArB.jpg

Sis wanted a pic of me on the Servi-Car and I must say it felt good.
Real good!
qeWjlb4.jpg

Then when I got home last night the 110 I won from SKBlades was waiting for me.
gLJz5Wr.jpg

All in all a good week....

Mykel - I saw a picture of a really nice flint knapped knife that your sister posted on Facebook. Did you make that? Hayley still has the arrowhead you made.
BTW, I have a 112 that matches your 110, but without the fingergrooves.

Mykel - I saw a picture of a really nice flint knapped knife that your sister posted on Facebook. Did you make that? Hayley still has the arrowhead you made.
BTW, I have a 112 that matches your 110, but without the fingergrooves.
My brother made the obsidian blade and put it in the antler handle for my sister.
The handle is from my sisters first deer so it's pretty special to her.
My brother sorta taught me how to knap (I know the basics) and that arrow head I sent Hayley was my first successful attempt at arrowhead making.

I sure would like to see your blue 112 John.

I really like he look of those drop point bucks - and the vintage vehicles.

Back