The "Whatever" Thread

This is the whatever thread, so I thought I would post one of the highlights of my vacation today. We went to an animal rescue place today so the kids could play/pet all the animals. Great place, lots of animals - dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, horses, pigs, rabbits, etc. You get the idea.

So, we are all feeding/petting all of the animals. The goal of the trip for my 7 year old daughter is to pet the rabbits. There are two rabbits, one in each of two hutches. There is a pen set up in front. I put the 9 year old and 7 year old in the pin and give each a rabbit from each hutch.

You guessed it, I didn't. Within 30 seconds I think I caused the creation of another family of rabbits. That little guy was Aggressive!

Woops!

The lady running the place was not pleased. On the plus side, she thinks they are both males....

Later, I put my 4 year old son in the pen with just one rabbit. He thought it was hilarious that the rabbit kept trying to climb his leg....

In other news, my 7 year old no longer wants a pet rabbit and is considering focusing on getting a cat.

Now that’s funny!

No, that was bunny. Maybe that will help your malaise. A good egg nog should do it too. Plain. Just out of curiosity, I do not know if people put brandy or whiskey in it. Give your dog a good treat or rub down.

No, that was bunny. Maybe that will help your malaise. A good egg nog should do it too. Plain. Just out of curiosity, I do not know if people put brandy or whiskey in it. Give your dog a good treat or rub down.

Whiskey nog or bourbon. I've not heard of people using brandy but I don't see why not. It's been a really long time since I made booze nog, probably still in my college days.

Vinegar Pie is new to me :)

For the fourth night of Chanukah my mom got a case of Hachiya persimmons at perfect ripeness. She's gorging herself, so I will have to hide them from her ;)

Only thing better than a happy child or life partner is a happy mother :)

One our neighbors when I was a kid had a persimmon tree in their front yard. I have many fond memories of hopping the fence between our properties and picking all the good ripe ones off the ground.

They didn't mind. There were kinda like one of my god parent families :thumbsup:

They also let me "borrow" flowers from their gardens (these were an older generation, and they had wonderful gardens - and I always made sure not to injure any of their plants), make little boquettes with them and sell them. Like how other kids have lemonade stands, I had a blackmarket bouquet stand :D:cool::thumbsup:

calling all bearded ladies and gentlemen!

now hear this, now hear this!

I have a questions :confused:

After learning how to shave using disposable multi-blade razors, I got really into safety razors, badger brushes, the whole shebang. Shaving with a safety razor, paying attention to whatever direction each various areas of hair on the face are leaning then, lathering soap, apply soap, rinse and repeat.

The smells and feeling, the post-shave satisfactions of a job well done and finally packing up my shaving kit before cleaning up the sink. A recipe for some best ambiance of all time.

I also got into straight razors, but it grew legs and got away from me before I really had the chance to master the art of straight razor shave

TL;DR -->>

anyways, I'm hoping some of your more worldly and experienced gentlemen would spare some advice regarding facial hygeine

if you have a beard, and especially goatee, mustache or both, what is your grooming routine?

does anyone have any suggestions for ensuring one's mustache/goatee/facial hair maintains a respectable aesthetic?

I have no idea what is required for the proper care and upkeep of said facial hair.

:) seriously, I need all the help I can get with this

Last edited:
Can't help you there but if in not getting up before 0400 I strop and use my straight razor unless I had to much bourbon the night before. But bless my wife's heart she doesn't allow more than 1 glass a week it seems like.

Whiskey nog or bourbon. I've not heard of people using brandy but I don't see why not. It's been a really long time since I made booze nog, probably still in my college days.
Egg nog is a Christmas tradition for us. I make a batch or two every year. One of the recipes I use calls for brandy, rum, and whiskey. If I'm drinking store bought egg nog I like it with a little bourbon. My wife drinks hers with vodka, peppermint vodka:eek:
I'll never forget my first Christmas at my previous job. We were scheduled regular hours Christmas Eve but knew we would have a big spread at lunch then go home early. I carried a container of homemade egg nog that my supervisor liked a little bit too much. One of my coworkers walked up to me after break and said "What did you do to Andy? He wants to see you" I walked back to the shop and he was at his desk with a big smile on his face. He told me my only job the rest of the day was to make another batch of egg nog. I tried explaining how long it took to make that recipe but he wasn't listening. He handed me a wad of cash and told me to get what I needed for another batch. I realized he probably wouldn't know if he was drinking homemade or store bought. I mixed up a batch of store bought after talking to my supervisors wife. She said she hadn't seen him drunk and years and would be there to give him a ride home.

calling all bearded ladies and gentlemen!

now hear this, now hear this!

I have a questions :confused:

After learning how to shave using disposable multi-blade razors, I got really into safety razors, badger brushes, the whole shebang. Shaving with a safety razor, paying attention to whatever direction each various areas of hair on the face are leaning then, lathering soap, apply soap, rinse and repeat.

The smells and feeling, the post-shave satisfactions of a job well done and finally packing up my shaving kit before cleaning up the sink. A recipe for some best ambiance of all time.

I also got into straight razors, but it grew legs and got away from me before I really had the chance to master the art of straight razor shave

TL;DR -->>

anyways, I'm hoping some of your more worldly and experienced gentlemen would spare some advice regarding facial hygeine

if you have a beard, and especially goatee, mustache or both, what is your grooming routine?

does anyone have any suggestions for ensuring one's mustache/goatee/facial hair maintains a respectable aesthetic?

I have no idea what is required for the proper care and upkeep of said facial hair.

:) seriously, I need all the help I can get with this

I’ve been using the same Gillette safety razor I got for Christmas when I was 15, so 52 years.

I used to really enjoy a good shaving using red Feather brand blades and a fancy (read: $40, a pretty nice model) German safety razor, but then the male threads came off the safety razor's head, getting permanently stuck in the handle female threads.

anywhoo...

appreciate hearing your thoughts guys, as always

perhaps a better question should be, how many of you have beards, mustaches, goatee, and other styling of the facial hair?

I figure my new goatee/mustache combo beard will provide me with the excuse and motivation to get myself back up to date using a straight razor

Last edited:
jealous of your face hair Jk, jealous I am

another question to throw out into the ether:

can anyone recommend a really nice electric razor, something to keep the stubble at bay so it doesn't crowd out my little mustache/goatee monstrosity?

I've never had any luck trying to find a functional electric razor that is actually capable of providing a reliable shave, where on a faint stubble remains, and is not too hard to keep clean and working well :(

I need? You know, to hold me over until I have enough extra cash to drop $200 on a nice straight razor and accouterments :(:(

When my oldest son was born my hair was really long. I kept it in a ponytail and shaved occasionally. I was working construction at the time and decided that as a father it would be better for me to have a more stable job. The day before my first interview I got a regular haircut. Getting ready for the interview I started to shave and decided I was making too much of a drastic change at one time so I kept a goatee. That was 25 years ago and I've only been clean shaved once since then. I didn't like it and couldn't wait for it to grow back. I keep the goatee most of the time or a light beard in the winter.

Back