The Whittling Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
This gnome reminds me of the master elf in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I can almost here Burl Ives singing....

LOL! Not at all my intent, but I love the comparison. Thanks for that! :)

And, congrats on your Camillus 72 acquisitions! I have no doubt you’ll enjoy both of them.

Hermey wants to be a dentist! Couldn’t help myself! Some attempts at letter openers and a half finished spoon.

:) Welcome! It’s great to have another whittler checking in. Is that a Mora spoon knife?

I love seeing and sharing different whittlings; it’s such a relaxing pastime.

Amen to that! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I love seeing them, too! It’s so fun to see everyone’s personal touch.

Looks like you’ve got the makings of some first-class relaxation there. Enjoy it!

Pretty busy day today doing yard work. I set a few hours aside to finish up the hillbilly. Hes heading out fishing.

Man, Jax, you work fast. Thank you for sharing all the work-in-progress pictures. I love seeing them and find them instructive. I’m sure others do too. :thumbsup:

May I ask how you got the weathered look on the hat? Is it as simple as wiping off the paint before it dries, or is there more to it? It’s a great effect.

LOL! Not at all my intent, but I love the comparison. Thanks for that! :)

And, congrats on your Camillus 72 acquisitions! I have no doubt you’ll enjoy both of them.

:) Welcome! It’s great to have another whittler checking in. Is that a Mora spoon knife?

Amen to that! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I love seeing them, too! It’s so fun to see everyone’s personal touch.

Looks like you’ve got the makings of some first-class relaxation there. Enjoy it!

Man, Jax, you work fast. Thank you for sharing all the work-in-progress pictures. I love seeing them and find them instructive. I’m sure others do too. :thumbsup:

May I ask how you got the weathered look on the hat? Is it as simple as wiping off the paint before it dries, or is there more to it? It’s a great effect.
Thanks Whittlin I just wait until the paint dries and take light grit sandpaper and sand a little off.

166wcw.jpg

My current whit'lin project. Used various pocket knives. Removed the bulk around the horse with a dremel with a sanding drum. At this stage I'm under cutting the profile to give it more definition. Needs ears finished, sanding drum marks removed, sanded and stained. Gonna finish with cobots Australian timber oil

166wcw.jpg

My current whit'lin project. Used various pocket knives. Removed the bulk around the horse with a dremel with a sanding drum. At this stage I'm under cutting the profile to give it more definition. Needs ears finished, sanding drum marks removed, sanded and stained. Gonna finish with cobots Australian timber oil
Awesome job man. Please upload a finished picture when you are done!

Will do! Though it may be a while this is my take it out and relax project. Part of it is it has to "feel" right. whether wood work or drawing, it always goes better when I don't force it. That's how I know I couldn't do it for a living. Its the only carving project I got going. When I drew the horse onto the wood I had intended to do a wood burning

So Whit'lin Corner Folks I've got this one incoming and wonder if you all think it has potential as a whittler?

UMLjcUcl.jpg

It's a small Case Stockman 63090 that has been well modded regards blade shape. All the blades are pretty pointy. Thinking that I might need to regrind one into more of a spoon but otherwise I (who knows nothing of the whittler's needs and practice) think it has potential. Care to rain on my parade (graciously please ;)). You can't hurt my feelings.
It will be a nice little user in any CASE :rolleyes:

Ray

It looks to me like it would suit my style, although I'd probably round off the tip of the pen/spey blade for hollowing out spoon bowls and such. It looks like it currently duplicates the tip of the main clip blade.

Looks like a fine whittling knife to me, RayseM RayseM . The two small blades look like a combination I’d find useful—I mostly do smaller projects and don’t tend to whittle with the large blades on my pocketknives.

If it were me, I’d leave it as-is for a while until you get a feel for it and how it works for you on the projects you’re interested in. Once you know that, you can decide whether and how to modify it further to suit your personal taste and whittling style. And certainly don’t hesitate to do that if that’s what seems right.

No matter what, I hope you enjoy whittling with it. Have fun and be safe!

It looks to me like it would suit my style, although I'd probably round off the tip of the pen/spey blade for hollowing out spoon bowls and such. It looks like it currently duplicates the tip of the main clip blade.

I thought just that ^, mostly for some details like folds in ladies dresses, ;) not so much into spoon making. Listen to me, I'm so full of it :rolleyes: :)

Nonetheless - I will take WhittlinAway's advice and use it for a while before mucking with the blade shapes.

Thanks.

Ray

For what it's worth I kind of like the marks left by the dremel. I'd consider leaving them
166wcw.jpg

Thanks, but I've already done bout 1/2 of it already. After I'm done it won't be smooth as such, it will have blade marks. Its going to kinda a faceted look around it. May take the time to finish it this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back