1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

The Whittling Corner

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by WhittlinAway, Dec 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Oh man, @Jiki, ouch! Sorry to hear about that. I hope you heal up quickly.

Jiki likes this.
  2. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    Ouch! That must have been quite a leak you created, if it took 6 stitches to plug the hole.:(

O.B.

Jiki likes this.
  3. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Carbon

4. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    You could see bone.:confused:

5. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    I don't think I would have looked. I would have grabbed it, and then wrapped it with some paper towels or a towel, and then tried to keep pressure on it till I got to the ER. At least that has been my reaction in the past.

O.B.

Jiki likes this.
  6. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    Yeah, I first thought it was just a quick slice, so I peeled it back. I quickly determined that wasn't the case and was in step with your protocol.
    I'm on blood thinners so they put two extra stitches in because it was still leaking.

7. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This was my latest whittling project, and the knife I used. I started out using the spey blade, but finished using the coping and pen blades. I made it from some scrap birch, from a spoon. Birch is not the best wood to use when carving a small duck. I thought small would make it easy, less wood to remove. Nope, small makes it hard to hang onto, while still keeping your fingers out of the knife's way. The knife jerked it from my grasp and sent it skating across the room on more than one occasion. Still I managed to finish it without any leaks, but @Jiki has me rethinking my not using my carving glove.

O.B.

8. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    How about carving a tree? #wearingaglove.[​IMG]

9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    The tree lives on...

WhittlinAway likes this.
  10. WhittlinAway

Feb 11, 2016
    Good to see you're back to whittling @Jiki! That tree must mirror how you feel to be back at it. :D

These days I almost always wear a carving glove on my wood holding hand and cut-resistant tape on the thumb of my knife hand. I view them like seat belts. They are there as a last resort in case things go unexpectedly, but I do my best to avoid them getting any use.

Here's a chocolate-dipped donut I carved a couple of days ago:

[​IMG]

And with the knives that did the honors: Mora 120, Deep Woods Ventures up swept slim carver, and Helvie Donald Mertz Signature Series #8 Queen Bee.

[​IMG]

Click here for a 360 degree view. :)

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

11. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    A doughnut! How fun. Great job.

12. WhittlinAway

Feb 11, 2016
    Thank you kindly. It was a fun project and relatively quick to carve, too.

13. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    Just a wizard kind of day at work. [​IMG]

14. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    Cold and rainy in the garage today so here is a little something for the past. [​IMG] Carved over 40 of these guys for Christmas presents last year. [​IMG]

15. M.Hatch

M.Hatch

Apr 20, 2017
    Could someone please give me a recommendation for a good glove?

16. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Great work. I'm sure all were very happy and please to receive them. Definitely going on my Christmas to do list for the next one.
    OG

Fodderwing likes this.
  17. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    HERE'S AN ARTICLE that might give you some ideas on what to look for and some helpful info. I like to use one with "dots".
    Hope it helps,
    OG

Fodderwing and knowtracks like this.
  18. WhittlinAway

Feb 11, 2016
    Nice @Jiki! That's a lot of Christmas carving.

I have two. One is the Red Armor Carving Glove the other is the NoCry Food Grade Cut-resistant glove. The former is a bit stiffer and covers more of the wrist. The latter is a bit more supple. One nice thing about the NoCry gloves is that they come in a pair. I only use one, but it's nice to have a backup in case I want to wash one.

I also agree with @OLd_gUY's advice about reading that article. No glove is perfect and you'll need to find the one that makes the trade-offs that suit you best.

knowtracks likes this.
  19. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    I like the dots glove as well. I only wear one on my left hand. These gloves are ambidextrous so you get two for the price of one basically.[​IMG]
    Of course if you don't wear the glove it doesn't matter what you buy.[​IMG]

peanutsxx likes this.
  20. mushka

mushka

Jun 27, 2018
    Are the carving gloves sized like regular work gloves? I wear a large work glove, would a carving glove be the same? I don't particularly care for gloves that are too large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.