The Whittling Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pen still needs some sharpening, it's noticably less sharp than the coping blade. I'm planning to try using files like you and Mr. Chips described in this thread hoping it will speed up the progress considerably.

Just to clarify: I've used files to reshape blades, but not to sharpen them.

For the initial sharpening of a whittling blade, using a coarse stone will make the job of resetting the bevel to an acute angle much easier. Before I had a coarse enough stone, it was a frustrating experience.

Just to clarify: I've used files to reshape blades, but not to sharpen them.

For the initial sharpening of a whittling blade, using a coarse stone will make the job of resetting the bevel to an acute angle much easier. Before I had a coarse enough stone, it was a frustrating experience.

Yes that's what I meant: reshaping the blade [emoji4] I'm using pretty coarse stone's, but it still takes quite a while. I hope the files will speed it up a bit. If not, I'll just have to practice a bit more patience [emoji6]

Mark

Yes that's what I meant: reshaping the blade [emoji4] I'm using pretty coarse stone's, but it still takes quite a while. I hope the files will speed it up a bit. If not, I'll just have to practice a bit more patience [emoji6]

Mark

I would not recommend using a file to lower the edge angle of a knife blade. Unless I am mistaken, when WhittlinAway says "reshaping," he is talking about actually changing the overall shape of the blade (lowering the point, or something of that nature). Using a file to lower the edge would likely leave you with a lot of deep scratches, which would then take that much more effort to smooth out, not to mention that it might take off a lot of metal. I find that something like an extra coarse DMT plate makes reasonably quick work of lowering edge angles on simple steels. I then take it down to XF diamond, then both sides of a Spyderco Double-Stuff, and finally strop on leather with Flexcut gold. That gives me an excellent carving edge, if I do it right and pay attention to angle control and to minimizing burrs at each successive grit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not recommend using a file to lower the edge angle of a knife blade. Unless I am mistaken, when WhittlinAway says "reshaping," he is talking about actually changing the overall shape of the blade (lowering the point, or something of that nature). Using a file to lower the edge would likely leave you with a lot of deep scratches, which would then take that much more effort to smooth out, not to mention that it might take off a lot of metal. I find that something like an extra coarse DMT plate makes reasonably quick work of lowering edge angles on simple steels. I then take it down to XF diamond, then both sides of a Spyderco Double-Stuff, and finally strop on leather with Flexcut gold. That gives me an excellent carving edge, if I do it right and pay attention to angle control and to minimizing burrs at each successive grit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah thanks for the clarification Trout Hound! Back to the stones it is [emoji4]

Mark

With my new GEC 13 in hand, I figured I really ought to give whittling a try. :) My salt jar could use a new spoon so that seemed like a suitably small project. A good occupation as I listen to an audiobook: Hidden Figures, the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race. Don't know the wood. I found it in a nearby park. But it's hard enough and dry.

It's still rough but my fingers are tired so I'm ready to take a break. Interestingly enough, the Ganzo knife with its blunt and sturdy pen blade makes a great tool. This thread is inspiring.

mMc2SgG.jpg

Taike and 007hunter it's nice seeing those new #13 whittlers being put to use. :thumbup:

I like the contrast in size between your two projects. 007hunter, is that a hatchet handle you're working on?

Taike and 007hunter it's nice seeing those new #13 whittlers being put to use. :thumbup:

I like the contrast in size between your two projects. 007hunter, is that a hatchet handle you're working on?

Yes sir, good eye...hatchet handle out of osage orange.

How about a little mid-week show-and-tell session, folks?

I'm curious to know which of your knives have been seeing the most use for whittling lately. Or, if you haven't been whittling much lately, which saw the most use when you last were?

For me, it's been these two lately:

2d9ee58d2ae585b0c1b93d2092ea6871.jpg

The folder is the Boy Scout edition of the Camillus 72. It has been my primary whittling knife since I first whittled with it over Labor Day weekend last year. I've dabbled with others since then, but I keep coming back to it. The small clip blade, in particular, sees a lot of use. For my use, it's just about the perfect mix of curve and pointiness.

The other is an Ahti Tikka. I've only been using it in earnest for the past couple of weekends. It came sharp, but I had trouble controlling it. I suspect its secondary bevel gave it a tendency to dive into the wood. Once I spent some time with the stones to remove the secondary bevel it became a pleasure to carve with. I'm looking forward to learning how to use it to its full potential.

What about y'all?

Just got this in today. I hope to get a chance to try it out this weekend, but my initial impression is mixed. The straight edged blades are pretty sharp, but I'll have to touch up the scoops. The springs are a little bit weak, so I'll have to be careful. For one fifth the price of a Flexcut, I think it's a fun toy.

It's almost 4.5" long, with six rather thin springs. It's a pocketful, but easier than carrying a dedicated carving set.

Last edited:
Yowza, r8shell, that's a lot of springs! 😱

I remember you mentioning in another thread that you were on the lookout for one of these. I'm glad you were able to track one down.

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it after you've sharpened all of its implements to your liking and have had a chance to play.

Just got this in today. I hope to get a chance to try it out this weekend, but my initial impression is mixed. The straight edged blades are pretty sharp, but I'll have to touch up the scoops. The springs are a little bit weak, so I'll have to be careful. For one fifth the price of a Flexcut, I think it's a fun toy.

It's almost 4.5" long, with six rather thin springs. It's a pocketful, but easier than carrying a dedicated carving set.

Thanks for that ;)
I have one on order from a site named after a river that happened to have them available.

I like the price and don't mind having to sharpen them a bit just gives me practice and saves me enough money to buy a good knife or three :)

Okay, boys and girls, I just spent the afternoon sitting on my porch whittling a key-chain, so here's a short review: It's a fun toy!

For this project, I mainly used the straight edged knife blade,which is ground for either push or pull cuts, ( I like that :thumbup:) and the straight chisel. I used the larger of the scoops (I'll bet there's an official name for it) to get into the tight spots a few times when releasing the link. If I ever attempt to carve a spoon, I'll get a chance to try those curved blades more.

After an afternoon of carving, the blades need a bit of sharpening, but they lasted long enough to finish this small piece. There's a bit of side movement on the chisel now. I don't think the pivot is up to a lot of lateral stress, but I suppose a tap with a hammer from time to time will keep it usable. The chisel also tried to close on me a few times, which can happen when you push forward with a non-locking blade. Stronger springs would be nice, although a few of the tools are already a little tricky to access. The wide handle is comfortable to hold.

I had my doubts, so I put a few drops of vinegar on the uncoated edge of one of the blades, and yes, it's carbon steel as advertised.

Last edited:
Okay, boys and girls, I just spent the afternoon sitting on my porch whittling a key-chain, so here's a short review: It's a fun toy!

For this project, I mainly used the straight edged knife blade,which is ground for either push or pull cuts, ( I like that :thumbup:) and the straight chisel. I used the larger of the scoops (I'll bet there's an official name for it) to get into the tight spots a few times when releasing the link. If I ever attempt to carve a spoon, I'll get a chance to try those curved blades more.

After an afternoon of carving, the blades need a bit of sharpening, but they lasted long enough to finish this small piece. There's a bit of side movement on the chisel now. I don't think the pivot is up to a lot of lateral stress, but I suppose a tap with a hammer from time to time will keep it usable. The chisel also tried to close on me a few times, which can happen when you push forward with a non-locking blade. Stronger springs would be nice, although a few of the tools are already a little tricky to access. The wide handle is comfortable to hold.

I had my doubts, so I put a few drops of vinegar on the uncoated edge of one of the blades, and yes, it's carbon steel as advertised.

Thanks. I thought it looked like a fun toy, so I ordered one. Unfortunately, I received an empty mailer, and now I'm waiting for my refund to show up in my account before I try again. I hope whoever got it cuts himself with it.

Thanks. I thought it looked like a fun toy, so I ordered one. Unfortunately, I received an empty mailer, and now I'm waiting for my refund to show up in my account before I try again. I hope whoever got it cuts himself with it.

That's a bummer, but hopefully you will get one eventually. I am a strong believer in using a well-taped box to ship knives. Have you ever seen videos of the automated mangling and flinging machines they use to sort mail? :eek:

Yes I have. When I ship a knife, it is packed to survive nuclear war. A Bubble mailer? Seriously?

Great little review r8shell, when I get paid next week if there's any change left under the cushions after payin' the bills and gettin' the new front tires for the truck, aw who am I kiddin' next payday, next month, I'll have to order one. I found 75 cents in the dryer today, I'll start a Carvin' Jack fund with it. :)

I made me a practice stick a few months ago, with notches, holes drilled in it, curves and ball on either end but somebody likes it better than me so she uses it as a chew toy.

hS5A8nL.jpg

I did a little whittlin' on this, not much but some.

QncZ42v.jpg

nIk0rmm.jpg

My favorite last thing whittled. :) That wasn't the knife I used, I used a split back Case Seahorse Whittler, I really like this for carvin' If you've never tried one I'd recommend it. It has a wicked big Wharncliffe for gettin' at them corners, a coping/sheepsfoot blade for hoggin' out wood and a little spear/pen blade for smaller work.

OZZMAxQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back