The woods life is hard on a back

If I read your post correctly Jeff, you were suggesting that the appearance on Television is a suggestion of inadequate skills.

To be honest I think that is a poor test. Most of the folks that I have seen on TV have been there because they earned the coverage. That through thousands of hours of hard work and brain pounding dirt time.

I've been on the Dinah Shore, Johnny Carson, Good Morning America and over 100 other TV and documentary programs. By your theory that makes me an insecure chest thumper. Naw... Greg has been on dozens of TV programs as well. Christopher Nyerges practically has his own show in the LA area. We all earned it by working hard.

There is more to it as well. I don't like to starve. Survival training is a tough business physically and mentally. You yourself said in this forum that you are thankful that your wife works as a nurse so you can play. Survival training is not the vocation that pays your bills.

For Greg and I and many others this is our life, lifestyle and how we pay our bills. We have to let folks know we are there if we are to get students. That doesn't make us bad. It makes us good. Good enough that the 6,000 or 7,000 folks I've taken on extended trips still consider me a friend and in many cases, a person who changed their life. The 10,000 plus folks who buy our videos think we have a good product and buy more of it to prove their loyalty.

I think a better test is watching the information an instructor gives out. Is there depth to it? Does it show that the instructor has integrated other knowledges into the chain of teaching. Does the instructor have repeat customer/students? What is the instructors reputation? Then there is one of the fun though not perfect test... The gatekeepers.

Gatekeepers are folks who are put into positions of authority and who allow folks with credentials to pass through. They include the press, public officials, local organizations and the like. Just writing for the press is not like passing the gatekeper test. You must be accepted. Examples of folks in our profession who have done this include Greg, Tom Elpel, Andre Borbeau, Tom Brown, Larry Dean Olsen, Mtn Mel Dweese, Christopher Nygeres and many others.

You are correct when you say that the most knowledgable are those who live in the environment they teach in ('Scuse the paraphrase). Karen and I live in a Log Home in the Rockies. We have power, when it wants to work, our water comes from a spring, into a tank and then down to our home. We have solar and gas power backups as well as microwave comms to the outside world. Our gasoline is stored in above ground tanks. As I type this it is 14f outside and the snow is hard and beautiful.

Greg lives in the woods. He already explained his setup. His water is from a well if I remember correctly.

Just as an aside. Earlier this week a fellow flew into Boise from London for the BBC to interview us for a program they are doing there. He had to drive the 60 miles up here. He'd never driven in snow before. After we filmed and BS'd for awhile we went over to the little town (2 saloons and a general store) and ate at the Longhorn Saloon. He'd never been in a bar where most of the folks were wearing guns... He almost fainted
smile.gif
He thought we'd have a gunfight and looked all over for bullet holes in the walls. One of my friends told him that we patch them right after we wipe up the blood!

Survival is HARD WORK.

BTW You are smart to hire guides.

Whew!

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

http://www.survival.com ]

Whoa friend, don't take my post so personal.
You had mentioned a guide that was basically rogue and had the potential for getting a lot of folks hurt. Then I remembered mention of a man that was pushing this CBS Survivor deal and beating his chest on TV during a recent show. I figured that was who you were referring to.

I don't believe I ever questioned yours or Greg's skills in these forums.

Just like ya'll I've lived in the woods and on a farm all my life, so it's nice to see folks raised up the same way.

Hell, I'm glad to see ya'll here and this forum up and running. - Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

Sorry Jeff,

I never took it personal, sorry you saw it that way, on re-reading it I don't know what might have made you think it was personal. Oh well.

The purpose of the post was to explain the way things are in our industry, to the folks here. Many people have no idea what is involved in trying to make a living "surviving". I get a lot of letters from folks who want to teach survival or outdoor skills and it is difficult to take the time to explain it fully. Not that I just did.

For years it was a hand to mouth existence. I didn't really begin to become comfortable (i.e. my own place to sleep in) until I started manufacturing wilderness gear in the 70's. Some of the stuff I designed, you probably use or have used.

I could go on about the process of becoming a survival instructor but I think I'll just answer questions if folks have them.

Again, I'm sorry you took it personal.

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

No problem Ron.

I didn't take anything personal ?????, I just thought you had taken it personal by the post you responded with, so I wanted to clear it up.

That's the problem with forums, it's hard to communicate what you mean with plain type.

I think you, Greg and Brian are doing a helluva good job with this forum. I'm just tickled to be able to throw my views and experiences into the fray, for whatever it's worth
smile.gif

No harm, no foul, and no apologies are in order. - Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

Agreed!

Lets get on with the discussions. Still, my offer stands. If anyone wants info about getting started, this is the place to do it.

Thanks Jeff...

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

Jeff, I didn't see any personal references to you in Ron's 1:16 post but...

I want to follow up on one comment you made in response to that post at 1:32. You said:

"Just like ya'll I've lived in the woods and on a farm all my life, so it's nice to see folks raised up the same way."

I didn't learn how to teach survival on a farm. I'm not trying to chest pound here...I just wanted to be specific on where the roots to my survival tree of knowledge started.

I had to suffer through 6 months of 18+ hours a day SURVIVING in every environment in the world....all that while some instructor trainers were trying to push us further and harder. I learned first hand what severe dehydration felt like, how much hpyothermia sucked, how bad sea sickness was, etc. etc. etc. These conditions were induced upon us. I meet my survival needs in every environment in the world under less than favorable conditions and with severly limited resources. When I say I teach from the heart, that is becouse I do...I experienced it first hand and know how harsh it can be. But even that didn't make me an instructor.

Once I learned the skills, I had to spend another 6 months TEACHING survival skills (18+ hours a day) while some instructor trainer wrote down everytime I said ummmm or made a fatal safety violation. Lesson plans, objective, demonstrations/performance, guided discussions, motivations, overviews, remotivatins, summaries, etc.

Once certified (one year of hell to be a 3 level which means--ENTRY level instructor) I joined a career field that had only 250, at any given time, on active duty. By the time I left the military I had completed a five level and seven level upgrade in training specific to survival (seven level means - trainers/trainer and supervisor level of skill). I received a degree in survival and search in rescue. I had 9 instructors working under my supervision and for at least 1 week a month I was responsible for the training of up to 50+ students.

Since leaving the military...I continued to live the life...and advance my skills.

I didn't learn my skills on a farm...Uncle Sam provided me the opportunity to become a USAF Survival Instructor and I grabbed it. Sorry if this sounds

Now don't anyone take this personal :>)

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

How are you going to carry your knife with that little gown?
Take care, we'll all be thinking of you.

------------------
Fix it right the first time, use Baling Wire !

Greg,,,Keep the faith man! May your recovery be speedy, and your nurses be pretty!! Let me know and I'll send you a morphine pump disguised as a Sony Walkman..Good luck..Rob

The knife...hmmm...that could be tough. You don't suppose they'll do a cavity search do ya. Rob...can you fed ex that pump overnight....I have never had morphine before. Heck I had never had any of this stuff before a couple of weeks ago. Dont sea whet thee beig deel es al bout. tit hadnt canged the weigh I tink et al.

------------------
Greg Davenport

Greg, Good luck in the hospital. I hope you recover fast, and feel the relief.
Donald.

I am enjoying this forum and the interactions that are taking place within it. What a great group of individuals!!

Welp, it is 7:20 AM PST. I leave in less than two hours for Portland, OR (1 to 1 1/2 hour drive) where I will spend hours filling out papers and putting on funny gowns. The operation should be around noon (knowing how the medical world runs---we probably wont start on time). It should be a simple procedure and last about one hour. When they are done, I will feel better--the intense pain should be gone. I will probably still have the numbness for a week or two and I imagine my back will feel like I cut it. One night in the hospital and back home for a week of R and R. Thus you guys are my intertainment all this week :>) :>)
I want to thank everyone for all their kind thoughts and words posted here and via email. It feels good to know that people I have never met (excluding Ron and Karen who I know personally) care about my well being. Thank You!

Best wishes,

------------------
Greg Davenport

Greg, all the best with the surgery. And remember, the gown ties in the rear, not the front. Wouldn't want to frighten the women and embarrass the men, would you?

------------------
Don LeHue
Royal Oak, Michigan

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

The way Greg talks I think he might frighten the men and embarass the women. Either way, God's speed good friend.

Ron and Karen

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

Greg,

I feel your pain. I had a disk removed in March(due to a powerlifting injury).
The drugs are great, the rehab time sucks but the upswing is that all of the symptoms I had are gone. All I get now are occasional spasms esp after long periods of bending or stooping,
I am back in the gym and I am lifting again so there is life after surgery.
Also remember that the better shape you are in prior to a surger, as well as motivation and mindset play alot in how well/quickly you will recover.

Good luck with the surgery and God bless.

------------------
The vague and tenuous hope that GOD is too kind to punish the ungodly has become a deadly opiate for the conscience of millions.

*A. W. Tozer

2 Cor 5:10

Back