There's A Knack To It!

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member

I thought I’d show this interesting little knife, which I was recently given by ADEE, for those who’ve never seen one before. The design was not confined to one maker or even to one country, but all the ones I’ve seen look quite similar - unless some fool has broken them that is! Sometimes they get broken because people can’t open the blade, and are too stupid to give the knife a bit of thought. The blade has no nail nick you see, and sits low in the handle. It can only be opened with the knife held vertically, and with the point of the blade upwards. To open the blade, you first push it inwards, when it then springs out slightly to allow you to open it. The knife can only be closed in the vertical position, with the point of the blade facing down. There’s a bit of a knack to it!

Hopefully the photographs give an idea of how the knife works, see the wee steel ball? And if you ever come across a knife like this, with a little patience and practice, you’ll be able to mystify, thrill, and amaze your friends!

Please feel free to post pics of any other 'trick' knives you have :)

Jack

I was thinking that it looked like a bottle/can opener in the tang. I'm trying to picture how it would work. Does the cutout on the tang play into the mechanics of how it locks open/closed?

Interesting. My newer,tackier version has a sliding pin instead of a ball. As you said, when you amaze and befuddle your friends you have to be careful as some will start yanking away at it pretty hard.

I was thinking that it looked like a bottle/can opener in the tang. I'm trying to picture how it would work. Does the cutout on the tang play into the mechanics of how it locks open/closed?

Yeah, the ball or pin slips in and out of that cutout to hold it shut or not.

The spring holds the blade slightly out as shown. Point the blade down and press the blade in and the ball will slide into the cutout hold it shut against the spring. Point the blade up and press it in and the ball will fall out and the blade will pop slightly open as shown in the pics.

Interesting. My newer,tackier version has a sliding pin instead of a ball. As you said, when you amaze and befuddle your friends you have to be careful as some will start yanking away at it pretty hard.

Sounds interesting Dave, have you got any pics? :)

I have one with a black handle.

Cool :thumbup: Who's the maker Mike?

Yeah, the ball or pin slips in and out of that cutout to hold it shut or not.

The spring holds the blade slightly out as shown. Point the blade down and press the blade in and the ball will slide into the cutout hold it shut against the spring. Point the blade up and press it in and the ball will fall out and the blade will pop slightly open as shown in the pics.

What Dave said! :thumbup:

Thanks for the memories Jack, I had one of those when I was a kid ;-))) Neat knives.

Best regards

Robin

That's a really cool knife. I can see how they would be broken, but for someone who understand, quite a novelty and neat design.

Thanks for the memories Jack, I had one of those when I was a kid ;-))) Neat knives.

Cool Robin :thumbup:

That's a really cool knife. I can see how they would be broken, but for someone who understand, quite a novelty and neat design.

Thanks Jennifer :thumbup: When I visited ADEE a few weeks ago, we came across a broken one in his local market :(

I also thought 'bottle opener..'

But then I used my reading powers and I thought 'idiot proof'!

Sure is a uandsome bit of history, thanks for the display, Jack. :)

I also thought 'bottle opener..'

But then I used my reading powers and I thought 'idiot proof'!

Sure is a uandsome bit of history, thanks for the display, Jack. :)

Thanks pal :)

They are definitely neat little knives and can cause quite an amusing situation when given to an un-knowing person :)

Used to have a little faux pearl one made by Schrade I believe, but gifted it to a member here years ago.

Back