1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Things non knife people say

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mike3398, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Bladegunner

Bladegunner Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Without a doubt, but the best Father in Law anyone could ask for.

2. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    A knife is man's most basic tools .So why shouldn't I carry one ? But so many modern "Men" are clueless !

3. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    When I used to show my wife a new knife I had just received, her response was invariably, "It looks just like all the other ones." I don't bother any more.

I used to carry a carbon bladed knife in public, but too often heard when pulling it out to cut something for someone else, "Why is it dirty, don't you ever clean it?" Now I carry stainless. Explanation is just not worth the effort.

4. Mike3398

Mike3398

Jun 27, 2016
    I do monthly cleaning on all of mine a coat of tuff glide make sure everything still functions wanna make sure if I need a different one it's ready to go out but my esse 5 is beyond looking good the black coating is worn away

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

5. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    "You paid $XXX for a knife? :eek: I got mine for $X :p." (which is OK by me) Heaven forbid they should ask what I paid for my watch. :rolleyes:

6. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Tell me the next time you sharpen this knife.

To which I want to reply : Why would you handle a knife any differently when it is pretty darned sharp than when it is xxxxing sharp ? Keep your paw bits away from the sharp part and the food bits under the sharp part.

But in reality I just say : Yes Chef !

7. ncnurseryman

ncnurseryman

Jul 2, 2012
    That's the damn truth!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

8. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    "It looks just like all the other ones." I don't bother any more.
    I hear yah.
    Nex time she says does this peace of clothing make my ____ look fat jusr say "looks like all the other ones".

Nah thats no fun. Better to be fun than a jerk but I can see her point to. Mine won't even look at it if it is open. Something from her past , and present as a paralegal, that creaps her out.

I did once explaine that knives are, sorta, like man jewelry . . . I said you have more than one pair of ear rings don't you.

To her earrings are "important" armament, pocket / EDC are not. Kitchen knives may be a grey area that she doesn't want to discuss or think about right now. . . Don't you have a honeydo to do dear ?

. . . best left there

9. Jesse B.

Jesse B.

Oct 23, 2009
    In a similar situation, my response would be reasonable, even-tempered and non-confrontational. But a small part of me would want the conversation to go this way:

Them: "Why do you have so many knives??"
    Me: "...this is America, isn't it?"
    Them: "...yes..."
    Me: "Then I don't have to answer stupid questions while standing on my own property."

;)

10. ARTT1

ARTT1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 16, 2016
    I think you need new friends.

11. Neko2

Neko2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2003
    "Anyone have a key?"
    "Why" I say.
    "So I can open this box."

12. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    To anything other than a SAK, or bigger than 2 inches::

Aren't you afraid the police catches you with that weapon ?! Why do you carry it?

Gosh...Europe :thumbdn:

13. Woodcamo Nut

Woodcamo Nut

Apr 15, 2014
    Dumbest comment I ever heard from a non knife person was one time this guy noticed I had a knife clipped to my pocket and the guy says: "You know you need a fishing license to carry that knife".

14. Mike3398

Mike3398

Jun 27, 2016
    That's great lol i would have nothing to say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

15. Basp2005

Basp2005

Dec 6, 2015
    "Hey, can you open this for me?"

16. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    "Why do you you carry a knife?" To cut things.
    "Is that legal?/What if the police see it?/You can't take that on a plane, you know." 《shrug, silence》
    "How many knives/guns/fishing rods/boots/etc. do you have?" Quite a few.
    "Why so many?" I like stuff. Collector, I guess.

Folks don't really want an answer, they just want to hear themselves ask the question. And the question isn't really a question; it's a statement. It really means, "I don't get it," or, "I don't like it." So once they've asked the question/made their statement, my short but polite reply is just a conversationally acceptable way of saying, "Message received."

Not everything needs to be discussed and I don't need to win the day conversationally speaking.

Zieg

17. Getahl

Getahl

Dec 22, 2007
    Usually, is that legal? Granted, I've only been asked if my knife is legal a couple times in the 8 or so years I've been carrying knives, but still more than anything else.

18. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    But it's been a long time since these questions came up. And as a horse trainer, everyone knows why I have a knife all the time. Most friends like them, even women. The changeover happened about the age of 35 or 40. I'm curious if fellow 50-plussers hear these questions.

Zieg

19. eon blue apocalypse

eon blue apocalypse

Apr 11, 2015
    Them: "How many knives/guns do you have now?"

Me: "One less than I need."

20. Judge Luco

Judge Luco Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2011
    My uncle is certinly a non-knife person. I carry concealed and typically carry two knives. (Leatherman micra, Bradford 3, sebenza 25). He once said to me "If you carry a gun all the time why carry knives?" To which I replied "Last time I tried to open a box with my glock things got messy." He doesn't ask anymore.