Things non knife people say

One more thing, every non-knife guy I've met still likes a standard SAK and a Buck 110 or 112. They usually play with them a while and then say, "I might have to get one of those!"

Just like every non-gun guy's eyes light up when he gets to handle an M1 or a military-style 1911. Always happens.

Zieg

But it's been a long time since these questions came up. And as a horse trainer, everyone knows why I have a knife all the time. Most friends like them, even women. The changeover happened about the age of 35 or 40. I'm curious if fellow 50-plussers hear these questions.

Zieg
These questions never come up for me, I really don't think it's an age thing.

There are lots of "non" people. "Non" cooks, audiophiles, sports fans, enophiles, automobile appreciators, gastronomes, bibliophiles and the list goes on and on. So you are a knife guy. Lots of people don't care about knives even though you or others of us do. Don't sweat it. Among many things I'm an audiophile and an enophile but I don't really care if my friends are into wine or audio or not. I don't refer to my friends as non-audio people or non-wine people. They have their likes and hobbies and I have mine. Who cares?

At the same time if a friend's wife collected Barbie Dolls or Beanie Bears and showed her collection to me, in order to be polite I would say something like "Those are nice" even though I could give a rat's behind about the collection. To each their own.

Last edited:
Haha
My wife says this to Everytime I buy a new knife. I always have to tell her I got this $150.00+ knife on clearance for $40 or less or she would kill me. She thinks $40 for a knife is a lot of money and always question why I need so many. I just ask her why she needs so many shoes and end of argument.

" don't start none, won't be none"
I hope the day never comes when she may have to sell your knives, but I hope I'm around when she does..

I started a new job and I answered the "why do you carry" question with a fast demo. We had pizza, but no plates, and they didn't know what to do. I grabbed the pizza box, push cut the lid off, and made four plates out of it. Loaded one up with pizza and walked away. I don't think those folks will ask me again.

Knives are one of the rare classes of product where function and beauty have equal pull.

Well said. ^^

I like products that balance function in it's purest element and form in all it's fancy. Everything from knives to shoes. I believe many of us here take pride in the money we earn, thus take pride in the things we own.

"Why do you you carry a knife?" To cut things.
"Is that legal?/What if the police see it?/You can't take that on a plane, you know." 《shrug, silence》
"How many knives/guns/fishing rods/boots/etc. do you have?" Quite a few.
"Why so many?" I like stuff. Collector, I guess.

Folks don't really want an answer, they just want to hear themselves ask the question. And the question isn't really a question; it's a statement. It really means, "I don't get it," or, "I don't like it." So once they've asked the question/made their statement, my short but polite reply is just a conversationally acceptable way of saying, "Message received."

Not everything needs to be discussed and I don't need to win the day conversationally speaking.

Zieg

This is true.

The only time where I actually discussed the cost of a knife was with a old hick because he was genuinely infatuated with my knife. His reaction was the typical "whoa" but he knew having a nice knife meant spending a bit of coin.
I generally avoid discussing costs because the value of a knife is lost on most people. Especially when the most expensive knife they have is some $10 garbage from walmart. Every so often when I break out the old hickories or ontario machete, I'll talk about the cost because a $20 blade made in the USA is something worth talking about, especially if they like it.

View Post
"Why do you you carry a knife?" To cut things.
"Is that legal?/What if the police see it?/You can't take that on a plane, you know." 《shrug, silence》
"How many knives/guns/fishing rods/boots/etc. do you have?" Quite a few.
"Why so many?" I like stuff. Collector, I guess.

Sound like bleeding heart Leftys.
I like to either ignore them or make them mad by saying, "Because I can."
That's all they need and frankly, all the time I have for them.

I'm so happy to be divorced.

That said, I've had to move in with the rents for the first time in 19 years, due to illness. It's been hard, but not as bad as I thought. They think it's cool I'm into knives and guns. They have never bothered me about my audio system, which is in storage. My dad gets pissed about shoes, but was surprised by how small my shoe wardrobe is now, all older and signs of wear.

When I carried large folders, people asked me why I need such a big knife. I'd just say "well, it looks small compared to what else is in my pants."

I got a good laugh and the knife discussion dropped. That was back when I carried a SOG Pentagon elite, CS recon 1, ZT 0561, a few others.

Now, everything is 3.5" and smaller.

Sent via pony express

"Is that even legal?"

when I show them my tiny little 2"-2.5" fixed blade from my pocket.

Sheesh....

When I'm in a situation that a knife would be awful handy about right now, and I pull mine out,
I just get the ol', People still carry pocket knives statement from the bystanders.

When I'm in a situation that a knife would be awful handy about right now, and I pull mine out,
I just get the ol', People still carry pocket knives statement from the bystanders.

This is pretty good. Oh, and some people still wear wrist watches that doesn't measure heart rate and steps. Some even carry a pocket watch....

When I bought my Raindrop Damascus Mnandi my wife saw the credit card bill and asked what in the world did I spend so much money on. I replied a really nice knife. She almost freaked totally out and asked "have you lost your mind do you have any idea how many new outfits I could have got for that" spoken by a woman that has a walk in closet, hall closet and half of my closet full of clothes. All I could think of to say was and you need more clothes.

Another time I pulled out my GEC # 66 Stag Calf Roper to cut some food at a picnic. My friend said that's okay but you should get a good knife like this and pulled out a $10 Mtec gas station special. :eek: I didn't say anything but was thinking "You Are An Idiot".

Mostly they say, "That sucker's SHARP!"; after cutting themselves with my knife they just asked to look at.:)

11 years ago, my future wife and I wanted to take a Honda Civic for a test drive. The dealership had tied a balloon to the mirror with ribbon. The sales guy grunted and tugged on it for a minute. I finally pulled out my SAK fireman and used the serrated seat belt cutter to nip the ribbon and get the balloon off so I wouldn't have drive down the road at 60 mph with it thumping against the driver's side window:rolleyes:

"Whoa! Is that from your ghetto days?" the guy says.

Yes, because we all know that the best and quickest into action knife for bloody gang violence is a non-locking, non-pointed, nail nick slip joint:rolleyes:

While eyeing my Military, "Can I borrow your knife?" and then when I hand them a Case Peanut instead "Why can't I use the big one?"

...and then "do you have a band-aid?"

This topic gets resurrected periodically which is a good thing. I think too many of us are super sensitive of what others say about our hobby. Carring a pocket knife and a sheath knife on occasion has been a way of life for me for over 60 years. I grew up on a farm and carrying a pocket knife was just expected for daily use. After many years as LE officer almost everyone carried a knife or had one immediately available. However appropriate use and discretion on its use was and is paramount, just because you can carry a sheath knife in public or dramatically wrist flick a flipper with a resounding whack it may illicit negative comments around some. Most folks don't EDC a knife, we do so it would behoove us to use our knives responsibly and treat them as what they are, tools. If someone doesn't recognize your Sebbie, Hinderer, or Emerson any different than a $4.00 Wally World POS who cares. As Vinifera stated we are not all wine, audio or whatever experts and most likely make stupid comments to these people.

If someone is truely interested in the knife I carry I enjoy discussing them, if they don't I don't.

Back