• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Think I'm about done with Paypal

Triton

Gold Member
I think I am about done with PayPal. This is not yet another thread about the tax situation however. I recently sold some items that totalled a little over a thousand dollars. The buyer paid via PayPal. To my surprise PayPal took it upon themselves to hold my money until the package was delivered as evidenced by a FedEx tracking number I had to provide. Excuse me? I get that PayPal is trying to prevent fraud but this all seems to be very one sided in favor of the buyer. Why is PayPal inserting themselves in the middle of my business? Has anyone else experienced this?

This stuff is common lately. I’m not sure if it’s due to lack of similar activity on users account, or new increase in “security” ? PayPal can be little frustrating.

Last edited:
Well, not to be argumentative but you invited PP into the middle of your business. They were just making certain that you delivered before they did. As a buyer I have occasional and happily used the pay upon delivery feature, i.e, the vendor does not get paid until you receive the package. For a $1,000.00 transaction it make sense that PP would not want to embroil themselves in a dispute that results in them having to refund. Just curious - how much history do you have as a PP member and is this only one of a few transactions involving that much money?

I think I am about done with PayPal. This is not yet another thread about the tax situation however. I recently sold some items that totalled a little over a thousand dollars. The buyer paid via PayPal. To my surprise PayPal took it upon themselves to hold my money until the package was delivered as evidenced by a FedEx tracking number I had to provide. Excuse me? I get that PayPal is trying to prevent fraud but this all seems to be very one sided in favor of the buyer. Why is PayPal inserting themselves in the middle of my business? Has anyone else experienced this?
I agree with Heirphoto Heirphoto . That is exactly what happened to me the first probably 3 times I sold anything through PayPal. That is several years ago. After that, and if you have a clean record, which I do, the funds literally arrive instantly, even for larger sums (several thousands in one transaction).

Are you new(er) to PayPal? It maybe a temporary thing, and you will start getting your funds immediately after a couple more transactions.

Well, not to be argumentative but you invited PP into the middle of your business. They were just making certain that you delivered before they did. As a buyer I have occasional and happily used the pay upon delivery feature, i.e, the vendor does not get paid until you receive the package. For a $1,000.00 transaction it make sense that PP would not want to embroil themselves in a dispute that results in them having to refund. Just curious - how much history do you have as a PP member and is this only one of a few transactions involving that much money?
Its a fair point. I did involve PayPal, but I'm thinking I need to quit doing that. The convenience is getting to be outweighed by the hassle.

Another thing I, about them. Since I didn't want to trust such a large check from them in the mail, I thought that maybe I would break down and link a bank account. Turns out to do that they wanted my username and password. Guess I will just have to take my chances with a check.

I don't remember when I signed up with them, I think it wasn't too long after they got involved with eBay. So maybe 15 or 20 years? During that time I've probably received dozens of payments that size.

Back