THIS is the anything goes, keep it clean, blow off steam, W&SS chat.

"to blow off steam" huh? Well, were being grilled here in Manila!

MANILA, Philipines -- The scorching heat in Metro Manila is getting more extreme, with the temperature shooting up to a record high 37 degrees Celsius last Tuesday.

I remember my old buddy from the army who quips: "Get used to it. You're gonna go there anyways" :eek:

Last edited:
Couple going out this week.

4fzhp5.jpg

Kick Ass John!

cool to see this up an running... looks like it's already a hit..:thumbup:

those knives look bad a$$ John.. i really like that pocket scandi...:eek:

Hi, Guys.

There is a thread on the Becker forums about a Becker folder. Since no such animal exists, I designed one. I did it just to amuse myself, really, but then it took on a life of its own.

Bushman5 started another thread on it ( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735207 )hoping to prompt Becker/KA-BAR to put it into production. It seems to have been pretty well received, so far, but I would like some feedback from the people over here, too, if anyone’s interested.

Most of us who hang out here on W&SS are more into fixed blades, but many of us like folders, too. I designed this one to be a basic, super tough, do it all, dependable folder, based in large part on the Becker BK-2. It’s not as large or thick as the BK-2, of course, but it’s no dainty little pansy, either.

Before anyone brings up the fact that I don’t have a grind on it yet, let me explain that it’s really difficult to model a grind in my 3D program: that’s why the blade look like a slab. When I move it to my CAD program, I’ll define the grind along with a number of other things.

There are a lot more pictures in this ( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733423 ) thread showing alternate scales, and without coatings.

Please let me know what you all think of this as a knife for bashing about in the woods (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Thanks for looking,

dawsonbob

Please let me know what you all think of this as a knife for bashing about in the woods (or anywhere else, for that matter).

dawsonbob

I have been keeping up with the thread over there. Seems all those Becker fans are highly interested in it. I wouldn't mind owning one either, looks like a real user :thumbup:

I have been keeping up with the thread over there. Seems all those Becker fans are highly interested in it. I wouldn't mind owning one either, looks like a real user :thumbup:

Thanks, TheGame. I made it to be a user. Nothing fancy, just a strong usable beast, which is what Becker fans like (me too).

I figured you'd have a closet full of homemade booze...

I do, it's just not ready yet? I've got six gallons of racked meade in the cupboard right now but I made it this month so... I have an entire gallon of local unprocessed honey that I picked up for thirty bucks and I've been racking two gallons a week since I started. In six months or so I won't have to spend money on alcohol for a very, very long time. We'll see how it turns out. I have a liter of Romanian Tuica in the mail right now, homebrewed traditional plum alcohol fermented in caves to 180 proof. Anxiously awaiting it's arival. I actually got my state tax return in the mail yesterday so I DID pick up a case of Steel Reserve on the way home. Got hammered and watched Brothers Bloom, which is probably one of my alltime favorite movies. I watched it again this morning it was so good.

Thanks for looking,

dawsonbob

Looks like a winner to me. Put a nice flat grind on it and buy I'd it. This one kinda makes me feel funny in my happy place. :jerkit:

BeckerFolder.jpg

Dawson, I'd love a Becker folder but based on the parameters of a folder's abilities for rough use why not go for a Remora or Necker based folder instead of a 5 inch long, quarter inch thick beast? That just doesn't seem practical to me. Kabar did a superb job on their Warthog II folders, I have owned a few over the years and they are probably my favorite folder for the money. Simple liner lock, G10 scales, and chinese steel blade. Something like that with a BK11 blade would just be sheer awesome.

Looks like a winner to me. Put a nice flat grind on it and buy I'd it. This one kinda makes me feel funny in my happy place. :jerkit:

BeckerFolder.jpg

Thanks, JCavSD. I haven't worked out the final grind yet (I'll do that in my CAD program), but I was thinking of either a flat grind or a high saber grind, with a partial distal taper.

I think it would be a user, for sure.:D

Dawson, I'd love a Becker folder but based on the parameters of a folder's abilities for rough use why not go for a Remora or Necker based folder instead of a 5 inch long, quarter inch thick beast? That just doesn't seem practical to me. Kabar did a superb job on their Warthog II folders, I have owned a few over the years and they are probably my favorite folder for the money. Simple liner lock, G10 scales, and chinese steel blade. Something like that with a BK11 blade would just be sheer awesome.

As I explained in the other thread, it will be only 3/16 of an inch when it's finished, and have a partial distal taper. I just haven't done a grind on it yet (you're still looking at the basic slab in the pictures). I'm figuring a blade length of around 3 7/8 inches (not 5 inches by any means) for this guy, although nothing is set in stone, yet.

That potential Becker folder looks rad, I'd buy one.

And to vent, putting together a proper AR carbine is friggin expensive! There's a reason for liking the AK...

Ah, so calling it a BK2 folder doesn't reflect it's size... I understand now.

Well, it does, and it doesn't.:D Even though I had to make it flatter for a folder, it does have the traditional Becker handle shape, but it would be just a little smaller (5 inches long, as opposed to 5 1/4), and the blade would be smaller, too, as would be proper in a folder — and necessary in order to fit into the handle.

Overall, though, it would be an only slightly smaller version of the BK-2 that just happens to fold. This would still be a fairly large knife with the look of a BK-2. I was aiming for, basically, a big, strong folder that would take plenty of abuse, and ask for more.

Overall, though, it would be an only slightly smaller version of the BK-2 that just happens to fold. This would still be a fairly large knife with the look of a BK-2. I was aiming for, basically, a big, strong folder that would take plenty of abuse, and ask for more.

Sounds like you would love to own one yourself. :thumbup:

Sounds like you would love to own one yourself. :thumbup:

Oh, you know I would.:D

This thing grew out of me sitting here looking at my BK-2 and thinking "what if?"

Yes, I would love to have one if they are ever produced, but that's up to Ethan Becker and KA-BAR. I can design things like this, but I sure can't produce them myself.

I absolutely love Ethan's designs, they're obviously practical and very well made, for a reasonable price. I keep wishing Ethan would come out with more, but he really doesn't have to-between the BK2, 7, 9, 11 and 13 that are currently produced by Kabar he's got most utility bases covered-with five knives. This was also a significant compliment I considered RAT Cutlery worthy of: a year ago they had a line of four knives and it's all they needed.

I absolutely love Ethan's designs, they're obviously practical and very well made, for a reasonable price. I keep wishing Ethan would come out with more, but he really doesn't have to-between the BK2, 7, 9, 11 and 13 that are currently produced by Kabar he's got most utility bases covered-with five knives. This was also a significant compliment I considered RAT Cutlery worthy of: a year ago they had a line of four knives and it's all they needed.

The knives that they have now are really good, but just wait a little while and you'll see some more great knives from Becker.

The BK-14 — currently called the Brat — will be coming out soon. This is a blend of the RAT Izula and the BK-11 Becker Necker.

Also soon, you'll see a reintroduction of the BK-5 Magnum Camp. A really, really beautiful knife designed by Ritter. The BK-5 was in production back when Camillus was producing Beckers, and will now be made by KA-BAR.

Then there will be what we've been calling the Tweeners. These are knives that Ethan designed that fall between the BK-2 and the BK-11. Not too big, not too small, but just right for a number of things. Think variations on a BK-11 necker with good handles. These should be shown at the upcoming Blade show.

There are some other things, too, that I can't talk about. Suffice it to say that right now Becker and KA-BAR are on fire, and selling at an unprecedented rate.

so I can stop oggling the Camillus BK5's on my Ebay quick search? awesome... I'll be definately picking one of those up. Don't need a BRAT, my BK11 fits me just fine.

Back