1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

THIS is the anything goes, keep it clean, blow off steam, W&SS chat.

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Esav Benyamin, Apr 23, 2010.

1. untamed

untamed

Jan 7, 2003
    "to blow off steam" huh? Well, were being grilled here in Manila!

MANILA, Philipines -- The scorching heat in Metro Manila is getting more extreme, with the temperature shooting up to a record high 37 degrees Celsius last Tuesday.

I remember my old buddy from the army who quips: "Get used to it. You're gonna go there anyways" :eek:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. bladz

bladz

Feb 12, 2008
    Kick Ass John!

3. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike

Mar 21, 2006
    cool to see this up an running... looks like it's already a hit..:thumbup:

those knives look bad a$$ John.. i really like that pocket scandi...:eek:

4. dawsonbob

dawsonbob

Feb 18, 2009
    Hi, Guys.

There is a thread on the Becker forums about a Becker folder. Since no such animal exists, I designed one. I did it just to amuse myself, really, but then it took on a life of its own.

Bushman5 started another thread on it ( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735207 )hoping to prompt Becker/KA-BAR to put it into production. It seems to have been pretty well received, so far, but I would like some feedback from the people over here, too, if anyone’s interested.

Most of us who hang out here on W&SS are more into fixed blades, but many of us like folders, too. I designed this one to be a basic, super tough, do it all, dependable folder, based in large part on the Becker BK-2. It’s not as large or thick as the BK-2, of course, but it’s no dainty little pansy, either.

Before anyone brings up the fact that I don’t have a grind on it yet, let me explain that it’s really difficult to model a grind in my 3D program: that’s why the blade look like a slab. When I move it to my CAD program, I’ll define the grind along with a number of other things.

There are a lot more pictures in this ( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733423 ) thread showing alternate scales, and without coatings.

Please let me know what you all think of this as a knife for bashing about in the woods (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Thanks for looking,

dawsonbob

5. Bernie Garland

Bernie Garland

Nov 26, 2007
    Have just finished this Croc Dundee knife, and its going to its new owner in the week, :thumbup:

Bernie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    I have been keeping up with the thread over there. Seems all those Becker fans are highly interested in it. I wouldn't mind owning one either, looks like a real user :thumbup:

7. dawsonbob

dawsonbob

Feb 18, 2009
    Thanks, TheGame. I made it to be a user. Nothing fancy, just a strong usable beast, which is what Becker fans like (me too).

8. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    I do, it's just not ready yet? I've got six gallons of racked meade in the cupboard right now but I made it this month so... I have an entire gallon of local unprocessed honey that I picked up for thirty bucks and I've been racking two gallons a week since I started. In six months or so I won't have to spend money on alcohol for a very, very long time. We'll see how it turns out. I have a liter of Romanian Tuica in the mail right now, homebrewed traditional plum alcohol fermented in caves to 180 proof. Anxiously awaiting it's arival. I actually got my state tax return in the mail yesterday so I DID pick up a case of Steel Reserve on the way home. Got hammered and watched Brothers Bloom, which is probably one of my alltime favorite movies. I watched it again this morning it was so good.

9. JCavSD

JCavSD

Jun 27, 2007
    Looks like a winner to me. Put a nice flat grind on it and buy I'd it. This one kinda makes me feel funny in my happy place. :jerkit:

[​IMG]

10. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    Dawson, I'd love a Becker folder but based on the parameters of a folder's abilities for rough use why not go for a Remora or Necker based folder instead of a 5 inch long, quarter inch thick beast? That just doesn't seem practical to me. Kabar did a superb job on their Warthog II folders, I have owned a few over the years and they are probably my favorite folder for the money. Simple liner lock, G10 scales, and chinese steel blade. Something like that with a BK11 blade would just be sheer awesome.

11. dawsonbob

dawsonbob

Feb 18, 2009
    Thanks, JCavSD. I haven't worked out the final grind yet (I'll do that in my CAD program), but I was thinking of either a flat grind or a high saber grind, with a partial distal taper.

I think it would be a user, for sure.:D

12. dawsonbob

dawsonbob

Feb 18, 2009
    As I explained in the other thread, it will be only 3/16 of an inch when it's finished, and have a partial distal taper. I just haven't done a grind on it yet (you're still looking at the basic slab in the pictures). I'm figuring a blade length of around 3 7/8 inches (not 5 inches by any means) for this guy, although nothing is set in stone, yet.

13. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    Ah, so calling it a BK2 folder doesn't reflect it's size... I understand now.

14. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero

Dec 13, 2005
    That potential Becker folder looks rad, I'd buy one.

And to vent, putting together a proper AR carbine is friggin expensive! There's a reason for liking the AK...

15. dawsonbob

dawsonbob

Feb 18, 2009
    Well, it does, and it doesn't.:D Even though I had to make it flatter for a folder, it does have the traditional Becker handle shape, but it would be just a little smaller (5 inches long, as opposed to 5 1/4), and the blade would be smaller, too, as would be proper in a folder — and necessary in order to fit into the handle.

Overall, though, it would be an only slightly smaller version of the BK-2 that just happens to fold. This would still be a fairly large knife with the look of a BK-2. I was aiming for, basically, a big, strong folder that would take plenty of abuse, and ask for more.

16. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    Sounds like you would love to own one yourself. :thumbup:

17. dawsonbob

dawsonbob

Feb 18, 2009
    Oh, you know I would.:D

This thing grew out of me sitting here looking at my BK-2 and thinking "what if?"

Yes, I would love to have one if they are ever produced, but that's up to Ethan Becker and KA-BAR. I can design things like this, but I sure can't produce them myself.

18. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    I absolutely love Ethan's designs, they're obviously practical and very well made, for a reasonable price. I keep wishing Ethan would come out with more, but he really doesn't have to-between the BK2, 7, 9, 11 and 13 that are currently produced by Kabar he's got most utility bases covered-with five knives. This was also a significant compliment I considered RAT Cutlery worthy of: a year ago they had a line of four knives and it's all they needed.

19. dawsonbob

dawsonbob

Feb 18, 2009
    The knives that they have now are really good, but just wait a little while and you'll see some more great knives from Becker.

The BK-14 — currently called the Brat — will be coming out soon. This is a blend of the RAT Izula and the BK-11 Becker Necker.

Also soon, you'll see a reintroduction of the BK-5 Magnum Camp. A really, really beautiful knife designed by Ritter. The BK-5 was in production back when Camillus was producing Beckers, and will now be made by KA-BAR.

Then there will be what we've been calling the Tweeners. These are knives that Ethan designed that fall between the BK-2 and the BK-11. Not too big, not too small, but just right for a number of things. Think variations on a BK-11 necker with good handles. These should be shown at the upcoming Blade show.

There are some other things, too, that I can't talk about. Suffice it to say that right now Becker and KA-BAR are on fire, and selling at an unprecedented rate.

20. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    so I can stop oggling the Camillus BK5's on my Ebay quick search? awesome... I'll be definately picking one of those up. Don't need a BRAT, my BK11 fits me just fine.