This just in ~ from España • The Navajas of ArtesaniaHerreros

Haha, Jose'
Glad you are giggling :p

I am happy my new navaja is on its way.
Jose' sent me some pictures. It's a work of art. I'm gonna wait until I get it to post pictures.

I love how he polishes these knives to glowing form.
After seeing Ray's new beauty, I pulled out my GEC Churchill from my pocket and it appeared very boring to me... a knife I otherwise love but now look at with new eyes.

BF has enriched my hobby so much. Discovering ArtesaniaHerreros is something I am grateful for :thumbsup:

Dwight, Fodderwing, had a great sentiment: I love the delicate ornate almost lacy look José can create in what is yet a muscular rock solid unit of utility.

It's true. His pieces are artistry, but built to work.

Enjoy your new piece, Ray. I wanted to mention your photography in that last post is superb. I like the custom details like the copper inclusion, something I wish I'd asked for in my latest piece. I did ask for some custom details. Can't wait to show them here to an appreciative audience of ambassadors.

We are lucky knife-nuts :)

My instinct were right on after all - my new Herreros was very close to home. One day earlier than tracking promised it -

Arrived today! :thumbsup: :D

Do you want to see it? :rolleyes: No marine shots today. Too busy a work week for other than a few minutes at lunch time to photograph in the full sun off the porch. No matter. It looks great among the trees too. There will me more with the ocean as the backdrop.

First - what has now become - the Classic Herreros Navaja pose.

View attachment 1125597

TEAK handle - nickel silver metal throughout (except for the spring and blade, of course). The idea is for this to be my fair weather sailor's knife. I think it is quite loyal to the classic Navy Knife in many respects. Knowing this was coming is why I didn't order the BF 2019 Traditional Knife. Well worth the wait.

Simple and sublime are the details. 3" cutting edge, 4-1/4" handle, a slim profile, and the broad and beefy sheepsfoot blade make this a perfect boat knife for me.

It is a slip joint friction folder so that I can easily open it but more importantly, close it with one hand while under sail by simply pressing against my thigh or any part of the boat.

New to my experience is that the blade does not press on the back "spring" at all as it opens. There is no contact until the blade is fully opened. Most sip joints I have handled will raise the back spring just a bit so that there is pressure opening and closing but this blade opens and closes without any resistance except at the pivot - set at about a 7.

More details -

View attachment 1125601

The nickel silver bolsters do not wrap the knife. They are beautifully inlaid into the
30 year old TEAK (from my boat building days). The little copper J inclusion (H- on the other side) was a favorite touch from my 1st Herreros that I asked José to repeat. You can also see his makers mark on the blade by the pivot and some elegant yet simple details incorporated throughout.

View attachment 1125604

AND - per my request - a lanyard tube :thumbsup: - a must have on a boat.

View attachment 1125605

Some folded shots - a slender shape :)

View attachment 1125613

View attachment 1125619

Finally, another close up of the Classic Pose

View attachment 1125620

My friend José has absolutely brought together "my sailor's knife" exactly as I had hoped. It will be well used and cared for and likely for more than just sailing, although my other Navaja might have something to say about that. ;) Thank you so very much José. You heard me very well.

I am truly grateful for such treasures - your knives in my hand AND your friendship most of all.

Enjoy Ambassadors.

Ray

Congratulations Ray, really a treasure :) It's a very nice pattern too I think, and beautifully executed by our friend Jose of course :) That is going to be a great shipmate :thumbsup:

I would love to know a little more about the operating mechanism if it's possible to explain it? I wasn't sure what you meant by "It is a slip joint friction folder" :thumbsup:

Congratulations Ray, really a treasure :) It's a very nice pattern too I think, and beautifully executed by our friend Jose of course :) That is going to be a great shipmate :thumbsup:

I would love to know a little more about the operating mechanism if it's possible to explain it? I wasn't sure what you meant by "It is a slip joint friction folder" :thumbsup:

Jack, Jack Black Jack Black , I might just be using the wrong terms. José call it a "friction folder" though it does not have the extended tang we expect to see. It functions as a slip joint (to my understanding) except that it does not press against the lock bar at all as it is opened or closed. I think therefore, the "lock bar" is not a lock bar but rather simply, a decorative liner. The friction of the pivot is all that determines the force required to open or close. The blade does not snap into place. Perhaps in time this will loosen too much. José suggested as much but as it starts at about a 7, loosening to a 6 will be fine.

I might be better off - and more accurate - to call it EITHER a friction folder OR a slip joint but I don't know which is the more correct term. Maybe stick with the maker's terminology - he calls it a "FRICTION" or a "Penny folder". Any thoughts?

In any case, as you say Jack - a nice pattern, beautifully executed shipmate. :thumbsup:
Thanks so much.

AND - thank you Don Pinemoon Pinemoon for your appreciation and saying so! We are lucky knife-nuts indeed!

Ray

Not sure if I can illuminate anything on the slipjoint issue for Jack Black Jack Black but my navaja from ArtesaniaHerreros operates like a regular slipjoint. The backspring rises upon opening and the blade snaps into position.

This photo shows the spring lifted

full

I know Ray's is a bit different (and interesting), just thought it might be helpful to illustrate for anyone considering that Jose' also offers traditional slippies.
I think the Spanish term for slipjoint is "piston," and I think his site lists them as such.

I'm actually surprised that my sailor's knife operates differently Pinemoon Pinemoon . We never discussed that detail other than, the blade should not lock. Not complaining - I like how it operates perfectly well, but an entirely new set up in my experience. Trying something new :thumbsup:

Ray

I'm actually surprised that my sailor's knife operates differently Pinemoon Pinemoon . We never discussed that detail other than, the blade should not lock. Not complaining - I like how it operates perfectly well, but an entirely new set up in my experience. Trying something new :thumbsup:

Ray
Yours does sound different and interesting, at least to our American/English ears. Maybe Jose' can enlighten us about it.

I had to take my Armada Navaja out to introduce it to it's new sailing waters today. Not boats yet. Need to practice on dry land - cutting cheese and spreading pâté on crackers and other such mandatory sailing tasks - before heading to sea but at least it could go for a look and smell. It seemed quite happy :)

Ray

Last edited:
I had to take my Armada Navaja out to introduce it to it's new sailing waters today. Not boats yet. Need to practice on dry land - cutting cheese and spreading pâté on crackers and other such mandatory sailing tasks - before heading to sea but at least it could go for a look and smell. It seemed quite happy :)

Ray

View attachment 1126721

View attachment 1126722
Beautiful, Ray...
It's been a very pleasant day in Maine today.
I spent the time getting my craft ready. New carpet on the deck of the pontoon boat. I discovered it also needed new flooring so put new plywood down too.

Your new navaja is so cool, my friend.

Greetings Ambassadors!
Last night I received a gift in the mail, my latest Spanish child :)
She is gorgeous...

Jose' lists it as, "Classic handmade folding knife from Albacete crafted from American polished buffalo horn with inox liners and brass bolsters," (SKU 11).

I had him resize it from a beefy 4 3/8" to 3 5/8" closed. And instead of brass bolsters and pins, I asked for nickel silver. That's what's great about @ArtesaniaHerreros . He can work outside the box ;)
Ray's latest acquisition is a great testament to that.

Here she is...

full

I ordered this one for a couple of reasons. First and foremost it has a clip-point blade. This is my favorite blade profile and NO ONE does it better that our master Jose' :)

After seeing Prester John Prester John 's sweeping clip-point, I fell head over heels in love. I asked Jose' "Make me a clip-point like Vicente!" He absolutely delivered.

full

I am so pleased. He even gave it a hollow grind like Vince's, whereas the normal SKU 11 comes with a flat grind. The filework on the spine of the blade works wonderfully as jimping. The piece feels great in hand.

The other reason for ordering this model is that I wanted to experience the so-called “palanquilla rodea," the locking mechanism lever thingy :) Gotta say, it's really unique, also effective. It'll take some practice, but I like it. And lastly, buffalo horn is one of my favorite materials.

Gracias Jose', amigo. I am a very lucky knife-nut :thumbsup:
You delivered a beautiful work of art. A piece that's also completely capable of real work. Anyone lurking among this thread and wondering about the usability of these seemingly delicate pieces, rest assured, they are very well built. Mine has zero blade play; the lockup is positive and certain.

To close, another impression I have is the blade-to-handle ratio. My first navaja has a somewhat small blade in relation to the handle. On this new one, Jose' packed plenty of sweeping clip-point goodness. The blade is a whisker under 3" . That's pretty big for a 3 5/8" frame.

Some more eye-candy, and hope everyone has a great day with knives close by :)
Ambassador Don signing off.

full
full
full

Jack, Jack Black Jack Black , I might just be using the wrong terms. José call it a "friction folder" though it does not have the extended tang we expect to see. It functions as a slip joint (to my understanding) except that it does not press against the lock bar at all as it is opened or closed. I think therefore, the "lock bar" is not a lock bar but rather simply, a decorative liner. The friction of the pivot is all that determines the force required to open or close. The blade does not snap into place. Perhaps in time this will loosen too much. José suggested as much but as it starts at about a 7, loosening to a 6 will be fine.

I might be better off - and more accurate - to call it EITHER a friction folder OR a slip joint but I don't know which is the more correct term. Maybe stick with the maker's terminology - he calls it a "FRICTION" or a "Penny folder". Any thoughts?

In any case, as you say Jack - a nice pattern, beautifully executed shipmate. :thumbsup:
Thanks so much.

AND - thank you Don Pinemoon Pinemoon for your appreciation and saying so! We are lucky knife-nuts indeed!

Ray

I'm very grateful for the explanation Ray, that does sound like a friction folder :thumbsup:

Not sure if I can illuminate anything on the slipjoint issue for Jack Black Jack Black but my navaja from ArtesaniaHerreros operates like a regular slipjoint. The backspring rises upon opening and the blade snaps into position.

This photo shows the spring lifted

full

I know Ray's is a bit different (and interesting), just thought it might be helpful to illustrate for anyone considering that Jose' also offers traditional slippies.
I think the Spanish term for slipjoint is "piston," and I think his site lists them as such.

Many thanks for the clarification, I have one similar on order, though I opted for 1095 :) :thumbsup:

Ray

View attachment 1126721

View attachment 1126722

Fantastic photos of your beautiful knife :) :thumbsup:

Greetings Ambassadors!
She is gorgeous...

Jose' lists it as, "Classic handmade folding knife from Albacete crafted from American polished buffalo horn with inox liners and brass bolsters," (SKU 11).

I had him resize it from a beefy 4 3/8" to 3 5/8" closed. And instead of brass bolsters and pins, I asked for nickel silver. That's what's great about @ArtesaniaHerreros . He can work outside the box ;)

Here she is...

full

I ordered this one for a couple of reasons. First and foremost it has a clip-point blade. This is my favorite blade profile and NO ONE does it better that our master Jose' :)

After seeing Prester John Prester John 's sweeping clip-point, I fell head over heels in love. I asked Jose' "Make me a clip-point like Vicente!" He absolutely delivered.

full

I am so pleased. He even gave it a hollow grind like Vince's, whereas the normal SKU 11 comes with a flat grind. The filework on the spine of the blade works wonderfully as jimping. The piece feels great in hand.

The other reason for ordering this model is that I wanted to experience the so-called “palanquilla rodea," the locking mechanism lever thingy :) Gotta say, it's really unique, also effective. It'll take some practice, but I like it. And lastly, buffalo horn is one of my favorite materials.

You delivered a beautiful work of art. A piece that's also completely capable of real work. Anyone lurking among this thread and wondering about the usability of these seemingly delicate pieces, rest assured, they are very well built. Mine has zero blade play; the lockup is positive and certain.

To close, another impression I have is the blade-to-handle ratio. My first navaja has a somewhat small blade in relation to the handle. On this new one, Jose' packed plenty of sweeping clip-point goodness. The blade is a whisker under 3" . That's pretty big for a 3 5/8" frame.

full
full
full

Congratulations, that looks stunning :) :thumbsup:

Greetings Ambassadors!
She is gorgeous...

Here she is...

full

full

full
full
full
Stunningly beautiful, Don. A clip is hard to beat for aesthetics and usefulness. I have never had a locking mechanism like this before either, but it works well, and I love it. I'm a big fan of 440C too--I really don't need a "super steel." :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the clarification, I have one similar on order, though I opted for 1095 :) :thumbsup:

Congratulations, that looks stunning :) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack. Looking forward to seeing your new navaja. Dos navajas are better than one!
:)

Beautiful knife,how is the heat treat and edge holding on these?I am waiting for mine,and hopefully ordering another one.
Thanks. You won't be disappointed. The steel should be the least of your worries. ArtesaniaHerreros has decades of experience and is absolutely capable of good edge holding with steel. He forges and treats in-house.

Stunningly beautiful, Don. A clip is hard to beat for aesthetics and usefulness. I have never had a locking mechanism like this before either, but it works well, and I love it. I'm a big fan of 440C too--I really don't need a "super steel." :thumbsup:
Thanks Vince!
Thanks for ordering your clip-point so I could fall in love :)
Agreed on the super steel issue. Jose' puts a beautiful polish on these knives and 440 stainless assures they'll keep that gorgeous shine forever :thumbsup:

I realized I forgot to post a pic with the blade locked open. Let me rectify that.

full

HOLY SMOKES Ambassador Don :eek: Pinemoon Pinemoon - that is over the top beautiful. :thumbsup: It's the knife Zorro would carry as the companion EDC to his rapier and his dagger (and he would have made a present of one to his wife, in white bone or abalone, along with a jeweled stiletto). :cool: I love everything about it. You and José teamed up for a great Albacete Navaja and, of course, José delivered only the best. Congratulations!

The palanquilla might slow you down a bit but will give you pause to close your knife with honor. :)
I'm sure you will learn to love it - it's tradition, after all.

Enjoy my friend :thumbsup:

Ray

Last edited:
Beautiful knife,how is the heat treat and edge holding on these?I am waiting for mine,and hopefully ordering another one.

L lonestar1979 - I like your way of thinking - waiting for one and planning on the next order. :thumbsup:
Yup -José's knives are worth owning in multiples. Just so darn difficult to decide which ArtesaniaHerreros beauty is next. :(

:) Ray

I ordered one in 12c27,and next one will maybe be in carbon steel,or 440c,all depends on ht with any steel.12c27 i love,its stainless but performs like carbon,easy to sharpen,decent edge holding and good edge stability and toughness.440c is awesome with right heat treat,many manufacturers try to pass off Chinese steels and some others for 440c but its not same.I used my buddys buck110 in 440c,that thing just performs and keeps cutting like crazy and have nice toothy edge,same as my Solingen bowie in 440c,completely different than newer 440c.

I ordered one in 12c27,and next one will maybe be in carbon steel,or 440c,all depends on ht with any steel.12c27 i love,its stainless but performs like carbon,easy to sharpen,decent edge holding and good edge stability and toughness.440c is awesome with right heat treat,many manufacturers try to pass off Chinese steels and some others for 440c but its not same.I used my buddys buck110 in 440c,that thing just performs and keeps cutting like crazy and have nice toothy edge,same as my Solingen bowie in 440c,completely different than newer 440c.

My Teak Sailor's Navaja has a 440B blade. Arrived with a very keen edge so no need for sharpening so far. Will be interesting to experiment with this steel too. Don't know anything about the 12c27. I'm looking forward to your review L lonestar1979 - and of photos too. More as it happens...

Ray

HOLY SMOKES Ambassador Don :eek: Pinemoon Pinemoon - that is over the top beautiful. :thumbsup: It's the knife Zorro would carry as the companion EDC to his rapier and his dagger (and he would have made a present of one to his wife, in white bone or abalone, along with a jeweled stiletto). :cool: I love everything about it. You and José teamed up for a great Albacete Navaja and, of course, José delivered only the best. Congratulations!

The palanquilla might slow you down a bit but will give you pause to close your knife with honor. :)
I'm sure you will learn to love it - it's tradition, after all.

Enjoy my friend :thumbsup:

Ray
Gracias amigo, ambassador & knife-nut.
It is definitely Zorro's EDC :cool:
The knife Gods must've had a hand in its arrival; it came lightning fast. I was surprised to see it soon o_O :thumbsup:

I think I got the palanquilla figured out. I've been caressing it all day. "Do not fold me without honor" can be done fairly quickly now :p

We have dos navajas now! Dwight, too.
Life is sweet. A bit of Albecete is in our pockets :cool:

Another pic of the blade extended. This one courtesy of Jose'

full

Back