This place really kills me sometimes

I seldom carry two knives, but I usually carry the small Leatherman Squirt every day along with my knife.

I know for a fact that I have gotten WAY MORE INTERESTED in knives because of reading and participating on this forum. A knife collection of about a half dozen is a good size if you're using them. The thing about a SAK is that you don't know when you're going to need one of the tools other than the blade. Hence, you can get by quite nicely with a SAK that you are comfortable using for a multitude of tasks, yep... everyday.

I do not intentionally rotate knives that I carry. I choose to carry what appeals to me based on my normal usage and preferences. The SAK works, but I like other traditionals as well. Toss in a modern or two now and then. What I buy has some relationship to what I carry, but not always, and certainly I tend to go with my old favorites. My advice, carry what you like and don't worry about all the other knives that interest you. But buy something occasionally just to keep you in the game.
The problem is that my knives are like pizza and the pics here are like a little Cesar's commercial.

We all have our little vices (and hobbies), so just get used to the fact that seeing and reading about all the knives here will make you interested in getting a few more. You could do like many here and simply sell off things they aren't using. That is a loosing game ($-wise) but certainly a win in terms of the whole cost of a unwanted knife just sitting in a dresser drawer is worse (if you care about that sort of thing).

Added: I have purchased six GEC made knives so far this year and have used one of them. Probably will get a #54 that is coming out in the next month. Using the Jackknife approach, I have purchased enough knives this year to do me pretty much the rest of my life in terms of using.

Last edited:
I like forums. I like seeing pictures of knives, and interacting with folks who share my interests. I'm able to learn about knives I might not have discovered otherwise.

I guess it's all in your nature and self-control. I know myself enough to know what I do and don't like. Nobody's ever influenced me to buy a knife I didn't already want.

Of course I was always drawn to Rambo and Jim Bowie and those types who really knew how to wield a blade. Never wanted to be the curator of the Smithsonian.

I have switched carrys 5-6 times in one day.. I have also left the house with my edc pick and turned around, came home and switched, added, subtracted knives before my final leave... John:)

I have switched carrys 5-6 times in one day.. I have also left the house with my edc pick and turned around, came home and switched, added, subtracted knives before my final leave... John:)
That takes the cake!!

I typically carry 3 folders, 1 is always a vic alox pioneer. The other 2 rotate as my mood changes. Good luck!

Here's what I have worth using

As you can see I like to stick to Low cost high value knives, that just plain work. I may not have a ton of traditional knives but it's enough to have trouble deciding sometimes. you probably couldn't tell from the picture but my least favorite color is red.

BTW I've decided to put my schrade 33OT middleman jack in my pocket this weekend, it's got a ton of blade play but has decent walk and talk and is pretty sharp.
If it were any other knife I'd not carry it, but since my grandpa sent it to my dad one year for Christmas while he was off in the army I figure it deserves the use my dad never gave it. My dad kept it in its box and I did the same until I decided to use it, but I was just learning about good and bad knives and put it away when I realized it had come with major blade play. I hope I don't notice it much while using it.

I carried my big SAK HIKER this week with a Case Sodbuster and Sodbuster Jr. I try to do a Monday-Friday carry set and wild weasel on the weekend!

I've used my 33OT a few times today and have yet to notice the blade play during use so I don't think it'll be a problem.
It wasn't actually a user before today but I think it has become one so I'm glad I included it in the picture.

Well ! Because of you guys I've decided I want to switch it up more often, so now instead of carrying an edc for a whole week I'm going to carry it Mon - Fri then pick something else for the weekend.
I liked doing it last week when I decided to go with my 33OT for the weekend so I think this will work out great.

Sensible approach. I find a bigger folder or fixed blade makes more sense on weekends.

I felt bad about ditching my buck 482 after 2yrs of constant carry when I received my imperial Barlow, so I paired it with the vic classic for the weekend.
I think I only carried it one week in the past year , so I guess that shows how much I started loving traditionals :D Next week the imperial peanut will bring me back to the porch.

Last edited:
It's good to change whether it be your general preference in knives or your regular carry. I'm just about ready to shift to a GEC Improved Trapper for a while. They are just so pretty. It's hard to use them at times for me.

Back