Thoughts on new GEC models...

Hi again guys,
as you know, recently I became the happy owner of my first GEC (a stainless elk #25, pictured on another thread, soon to be updated with use review), and now I'm looking forward to my future acquisitions. Not that there will be many...but surely there's room for one, and my birthday will probably give me the chance to get it. I know it's a bit early, since my birthday is in May, but getting knives on this side of the ocean requires accurate planning... :)
My first idea for my next knife was a Case SBJ, but I am considering other options. No hurry, no troubles, just a nice and enjoyable search, and today I stumbled into these two brothers. So far I'm very happy with the F&F of my GEC, so I could get another one....maybe one of these?

image-23D1_4F37027D.jpg
image-1871_4F37027D.jpg

They do look very good to me. I'm not a fan of lanyard holes, but apart from that these knives have caught my eye quite alot. I was wondering if any of you owns one. I'm really curious about the looks of the osage orange wood (I always thought that wood is hard to picture in this kind of photos). I've read that the #85 frame rides pretty well in the pocket, so this should be fine or even better, being single bladed.
Thanks you very much for your opinions.

Fausto
:cool:

Last edited:
Hi Fausto,

Those are SFO I believe for a single dealer and are available for sale this beginning this week (2/6). I have one in Ebony coming but probably not until next week or the week after. A separate bail is also available for this model. The production numbers are below and I believe the Osage and Bubinga are already sold out.
Regular production: (45) Ebony, (31) Garnet, (9) Osage Orange, (7) Bubinga

Thanks for the info Trand. Yes, I knew they were SFO, I just thought they had already come out.
Hope you will post your impressions after you get your ebony model... :)

Fausto

I like the slightly rounded blade profile also the lanyard hole IMO is okay for a larger work type knife.

I have to admit, I don't know why...but on this frame, I don't really like the smaller secondary blade. I prefer this (single blade) version, or Charlie's HJ version with the punch.
Sometimes, some things (and not just in knives) seem "right" or "wrong" for reasons that my mind can't catch...

Fausto

Hey Fausto :)

I was very very tempted but I'm holding out for the new 66 Calf Ropers. Don't know when, but its on their schedule. I'm such a sucker for single blades though. I hope this thread doesn't give me a break down :p

Kevin,
don't know about the new Calf Roper's...but I assume my next (and only, for some time) knife will have no more than two blades...so this one is climbing up the list :)

Fausto

If I was on a no more then two blade quest I would jump all over these. I'm going for a change of pace waiting for the 66's. Some twisted justification to keep me from buying more single blades.

:)

This knife was really an attempt at the old Camillus type work knife. The stainless wire (tough as nails) bails are coming a little late, but were made specifically to fit this knife and just so happened to fit (a little more loosely) the other patterns with a tube.

Thanks for the extra info Mike.
Personally, I don't really care about the bail, but I'm sure other will appreciate it alot.
More than an attempt, this knife looks like an accomplishment to me :)

Fausto

Great Eastern and Mike Latham hit this SFO right outta the park. It's definitely one of the most impressive GECs I've purchased to date. I've been trying to pin down exactly what it is about this knife that repeatedly makes me compare it (favorably) to a custom slipjoint, but it continues to elude me. Maybe it's the unusually slim handle and the nicely contoured scales; maybe the smooth walk and talk, and damn near perfect pull; or the overall fit and finish; or the tight grained jet-black ebony (haven't seen any this nice since GEC's very first ebony offerings) and that unusually large, perfectly inset and polished shield, or the etch-free blade, or... I dunno, but it almost feels like something right out of BF's 'KnifeMakers Market'. Amazing workmanship, value and feature selection - you have a great eye, Mike.

GEC85EZOSFO01.jpg

GEC85EZOSFO02.jpg

GEC85EZOSFO03.jpg

GEC85EZOSFO04.jpg

I love the way the open blade and handle spines line up straight as an arrow; not a hint of blade droop:
GEC85EZOSFO05.jpg

Nice job, Guys. :thumbup:

Great Eastern and Mike Latham hit this SFO right outta the park. It's definitely one of the most impressive GECs I've purchased to date. I've been trying to pin down exactly what it is about this knife that repeatedly makes me compare it (favorably) to a custom slipjoint, but it continues to elude me. Maybe it's the unusually slim handle and the nicely contoured scales; maybe the smooth walk and talk, and damn near perfect pull; or the overall fit and finish; or the tight grained jet-black ebony (haven't seen any this nice since GEC's very first ebony offerings) and that unusually large, perfectly inset and polished shield, or the etch-free blade, or... I dunno, but it almost feels like something right out of BF's 'KnifeMakers Market'. Amazing workmanship, value and feature selection - you have a great eye, Mike.

GEC85EZOSFO01.jpg

GEC85EZOSFO02.jpg

GEC85EZOSFO03.jpg

GEC85EZOSFO04.jpg

I love the way the open blade and handle spines line up straight as an arrow; not a hint of blade droop:
GEC85EZOSFO05.jpg

Thanks so much Rick and Fausto :rolleyes:

I just ordered the Ebony :eek:

This will be my first Ebony Handled knife.

BTW Rick, thank you very much for those pictures. It allowed me to confidently make my decision :)

Congrats, its beautiful.

GEC85EZOSFO05.jpg

Nice job indeed. That's quite a knife.

Let me just say, if you don't have one of these, you should get one. Mine is just as nice as Rick's though his ebony is a tad darker.

Rick, thanks for the pictures.
Now I see your knife "live" (and not in a factory picture), it's easier to understand what had caught my eye when I saw these knives on GEC's website. This knife is gorgeous. I hope someone will post pics of the Osage orange wood version too...but this ebony is stunning.
For those who already have one...how's the pull on these? I might become another one to pay with money for opening this thread... ;)

Fausto

Last edited:
Beautiful single blade, guys. I need to run away from Rick's pictures before I lighten up my wallet again!

GEC just keeps fantastic knives coming at us. Great work, GEC :thumbup::thumbup:

I was going to pick one of these SB EO #85's up but I was only interested in the two shortest runs, the osage orange and the bubinga woods. They both sold out before I ever got a chance at one but they are some great looking knives. I love the #85 Forum knife from last year so I knew these would be great as well.

Back