Thoughts on new GEC models...

Fausto, I do wonder about comfort in general with those monster handles. However, in regards to position of the edge on the small clip blade relative to the handle: it works well for whittling and wood work.

Stevomiller,
I'm no whittler (yet :D) but I appreciate the insight.
Jake, Jeff,
I'm sure I've made my thoughts clear on other topics about the advantages of two "different" blades (meaning one curve and one straight), compared to "redundant" blade combinations, especially in the straight edge family. The point is, GEC doesn't seem to be having a hard time in selling what they're actually producing, so no wonder they're steering their production towards big knives, or "not-so-useful-in-my-opinion" blade configurations. But, honestly, I keep thinking they could do better, amd maybe someone at GEC will read our conversations about this, and decide to build (for example) a 3" serpentine frame (a GEC peanut!) or something like that, made for "normal" use and carry (I suspect that this "Roughneck Jack" is a bit outside the carrying standards... :rolleyes:) and believe us on the fact that they wouldn't go bankrupt...

Fausto
:cool:

Whaler, Lumberjack, Roughneck...they must be selling, but I've never bought one. I just don't need a knife that big. But, have you looked around for a non-stag, single blade #73 lately? Not too many out there. Too many, that is THE GEC knife. Aside from Kryptonite, not much acrylic. I love the 2008 acrylics. Many wharncliffe blades get paired with coping blades. What does it take to get a wharncliffe trapper? I would love to see more in the 3 1/2 range. There is an awful lot they can do with the #68 frame, a cattle knife, whittler, trapper....

Nope...more Sunfish. I bought a lot of GEC knives in 2011. I have bought two new ones in 2012. I attribute to the fixation on Sunfish, but I guess they sell.

Whaler, Lumberjack, Roughneck...they must be selling, but I've never bought one. I just don't need a knife that big. But, have you looked around for a non-stag, single blade #73 lately? Not too many out there. Too many, that is THE GEC knife. Aside from Kryptonite, not much acrylic. I love the 2008 acrylics. Many wharncliffe blades get paired with coping blades. What does it take to get a wharncliffe trapper? I would love to see more in the 3 1/2 range. There is an awful lot they can do with the #68 frame, a cattle knife, whittler, trapper....

Nope...more Sunfish. I bought a lot of GEC knives in 2011. I have bought two new ones in 2012. I attribute to the fixation on Sunfish, but I guess they sell.

Let's see,so far they have made a 57 Whittler,and a 57 Stock knife this year,both 3 1/2 inches. They have made a 66 pattern stockman and a 66 moose,both 3 1/2 inches. They have made Dead Skunk Acrylic,Tomato Acrylic and Southwest Turquoise Acrylic. Not to mention a bunch of 26 Watchpocket Sunfish at 3 inches. Pretty good mix I'm thinkin'

I'm resurrecting my own thread to share some thoughts about a new GEC model that I've seen on their website today.
First of all, I think that they're putting some good effort on coming out with new patterns and models (not just handle materials), and that's a pretty good thing to me.
Unfortunately, it seems that they're focusing more on "bigger" bulkier patterns...like this:

image-0284_4FBED23D.jpg

If they're doing so, it means it's because the audience responds. The upcoming Montana Workhorse whittler will be following the same philosophy.
On this particular knife (apart from the wrench shield which looks funny), I'm hesitant towards the clip blade, it seems too narrow compared to the wide handle, and also it seems that the clip (in the open position) is totally "backwards" (towards the spine), which might cause some discomfort in use.
Of course I'm not thinking about getting this knife, but I know many of you will, so I wanted to put this to make some conversation.
As a sidenote, I really wish they put more effort in producing new models under 3,5" (and in 440C too :rolleyes:)

Fausto

I must be their target audience for these!

I sure love the spatula blade, and the addition of a small clip makes me happy.

I may have to sell something else to snatch one of these up.

I got one of their all steel sunfish, and love it!

GEC hasn't come out with anything I care for in a while. I don't know what I'd like but they haven't done it lately.

GEC hasn't come out with anything I care for in a while. I don't know what I'd like but they haven't done it lately.

are you referring to Whalers, Sunfish & Lumberjacks? if so I'm inclined to agree.
I'm having a sniff at the wrangler tho.

Have you guys seen these two? This pic was released back in March but I don't remember if there was a thread about it. 4 1/4″ Missouri Pattern Trapper and Trader
NEW002.jpg

For those who interested in the single blade EO #85s, GEC is releasing one in burnt stag
852112-eo-burnt-stag.png

Oh my! That may just be the perfect knife for me! I like my nailnick long pull but I prefer a standard long pull. Love the ebony but stag has always been one of my favorites. Add full bolstered and we have one heck of a knife!

For some aesthetic reason that I can't express, this particular pattern (and handle shape) looks alot better in th single bladed version to me (of course, it's a very personal thing). I just wish they made this in ebony, for the sake of Kevin :D

Fausto

Last edited:
Haha Fausto! You know me well. As much as I like it I'm not going to pick one up. But, it sure is tempting.

I definitely will Kevin, congrats on 6,000 posts!!!!!!!! :D :thumbup:

Nathan

Thanks Nathan! I didn't even know. I use my phone and the mobile interface so I never see post counts. How shall I celebrate :)

Lol. You're off buying knives for a while right Kevin? Seems like it from some of your posts but I'm just wondering. I've got an idea percolating...let me know.

Nathan

Back