Thoughts on the Broken Skull

So a question to those that have purchased this knife: if I am looking for a 4" g-10 black blade Cold Steel why would I get this vs. a Recon 1? Or a large Voyager? One of the benefits of the Lone Star was definitely cost, but this from what I've seen is priced similar to the Voyagers at least...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Blade HQ, and Cutlery Shoppe have some models in stock. A very popular online retail site has them as well.

That was the deal of the century. I think I would have felt bad about buying them at that low of a price.

Glad i got 4 when they were $45

They were already sold out except for the pink one when I heard about that deal. And I don't care if it was only $15, I still have no interest in a pink one and wouldn't have got it. Blue or white I woulda bought if they'd been in stock for $45.

So a question to those that have purchased this knife: if I am looking for a 4" g-10 black blade Cold Steel why would I get this vs. a Recon 1? Or a large Voyager? One of the benefits of the Lone Star was definitely cost, but this from what I've seen is priced similar to the Voyagers at least...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Weight, and smaller pocket profile/footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked one up on the exchange. Its a nice knife for sure. Thin, light, smooth opening, large, but not heavy, with a nice fine point. Definitely one of the sharpest knives I have ever had and I believe it came that way (the original owner did not sharpen it to my knowledge).

I do miss a lanyard hole though, especially with the overly tight pocket clip that CS uses. Damn that clip is ridiculous, I wound up just taking it off. As good as it is I am not sure I will hang onto it. I also got an Endura for Father's Day and I must say I much prefer the hole to the stud. I do like everything else about the BS better though (with the exception of the coated blade). Anyway, if you don't mind coated blades, tight clips, or the absence of a lanyard hole, and are a fan of thumb-studs, then this one is hard to beat.

They look too ninja for my tastes. I am DEFINATELY going to buy one when they offer versions with stonewashed, or satin blades. If not.....:yawn:

Does anyone know how the lettering is done on these? I know the DLC coating is very resistant to chemicals, so if it is a paint, then it may be able to get rid of or fade with some thinner, but if it is laser cut, it might be a real problem. I have been considering getting one, but I agree with many here that the name and display of said name in such a position is butt-ugly.

IMG_4173.JPG I used a belt sander on mine (and then hand-sanded) but if I could do it again I would just take the blade out and hand-sand. I wouldn't sand the pivot.
I also reprofiled the spine - straightened it. That shaved a bit of weight off too. It weighs 2.8 oz.
Then I RIT dyed it. Didn't come out as dark as I'd hoped but it's fine.
If you straighten the spine it will affect the BROKEN SKULL lettering so if you like that mod perhaps you can leave the coating on and you wouldn't need to take the knife apart. But some of the lettering will still be there.
The clip needs to be bent out a bit. It's too tight.

Last edited:
Would a random orbit sander work on something like this? Obviously it would have a swirl pattern, but other than that?
Thanks, Neal

Would a random orbit sander work on something like this? Obviously it would have a swirl pattern, but other than that?
Thanks, Neal

It should work. You could hand-sand afterwards for a better scratch pattern.

Back