Thoughts on the TOPS Tom Brown Tracker?

I’d buy a TOPS TB Tracker just because I think it’s cool looking and TOPS makes quality knives. But I prefer the Tex Creek for my needs.

Nifty knife, I'm not an outdoors-man though. One bad part about TOPS in general is their thick blade stock, sharpened prybars.

The trackers have quite the following among some bushcraft circles. Some folks do very well with them, so it is much more than just a gimmick. The majority of the people that I have seen use tracker type knives are made by a custom maker and go for a lot less than TOPS.

Not my thing but to each their own.

The Tracker has a huge following - just not here.
Personally, I dont get it. At all.

What’s to get? The thing is a throwback to the old knife hatchet combo set. Only in this case both pieces are formed into a single unit. Which means both functions are available 100% of the time. It compromises both tools, but probably provides enough functionality for bush crafting - which is the objective.

As such, it is not a knife, it is an acquired taste.

n2s

It’s mostly designed that way for looks since it was used in a movie. As far as outdoor use, Tops offers many more practical blades in their lineup for a lot less money.

Last edited:
You may want to look at the Tops SXB. It’s looks like a Tracker on steroids but fixes some of the problems with the knife. It is still an acquired taste, just a little more functional.

n2s

I was going to post something similar. I have both and find the SXB in my hand far more often. Both are comfortable to hold and use but the SXB offers far more bang for the same amount of bucks.
Some in this thread mention it’s an acquired taste and that couldn’t be more true.
It does take some getting use to but I find it functions well enough for most tasks. That being said, I think I’d grab for my Ratmandu far more often then the SXB in most cases.

The WSK knife design is not for everyone a takes a bit of oractice to get used to. Not many fans on this forum but an active bunch of users on BCUSA.
I do love mine. Not a Tops version but from Red Scorpion Knives. Very good and fun tool for various wood processing tasks.

vH2wrqBCYT8-K_sAusWnANJBx_v-_bbnOjC9CEIwV2IEoJyLLMx1WcnT_Tzzc_dC6sQE7bOrBr8P_UaOTLEDyBhqrzz011ZtjXPqRZc-BFmP8QwwLPMLdJSxIbZwCZTeiMqIxLdBxVJm2M4Rvj0CopzVEnDp8Z8D1mR_2sD9TX1v84JzxXraqnCDovdDVcGrMTF4-DkxboFZikkKUcbJb3DzLw10sfcz4xnzuKJgl62tCbLB-phyrPphIFh-2WzrwhmM_fFsRSr505abNwE4dT6C3lrl8Lmt9_4DN3BV5zyCcxJp-ZHzdBiqq4MZpEi10RVxnigVDnGiyzMzXw_Vbta0AB6PWUlkDwv6-K9-sBenSMBWjhTjRB9XS6PEFUsmpxbknZ9z6zjdTk-GVFZzbT0nu4mylA4O8MOR7MKd8nRD-E136jIQNrfwAvalL3siYkFfjWMTQGiTty2GQGxomH1UkouzMVBc1NfyRv5gdXzAuRFiLqwMsXMHw30D6_1_H0WjobSwcDdQxfVijp4sp3jtxQNPMk-ZBeKbKUVy6z0l3FzZl1x4J8FodZfJXgWCx-IVodjhS1z-03cD_gcTQoDS-0h5ygREC77mZOj0tEKt_7bEDFGyGiQWjoSt5LcpprlpMtVc3q9Dj7cHVHjFcaCWe8SzJTNgalBp38anDtNGndKRlmdN4A=w800-h533-no

U46dZDmJcdZHrS_pitlgcz9Hx3ZdZOgtdrnApQSHRvU46nx1xrWlwQ2Gn9u6O4yKcVV_FNboTw3s3_Lr8BiBC3dinfr6HbunOis88jTBN3R70IXWu8c

Last edited:
Tom brown tracker isn't a very good design. The way the curve stops short stops it from being a good chopper. The thick slab o steel keeps it from being a good slicer. The blunt tip keeps it from being a good piercer. The serrations do nothing.

But, it was the knife from "the hunted", and that movie is a badass knife-persons movie, so it'd be neat to have for that reason alone imo

I've come close to grabbing one a few times, but always stop myself

I ended up ordering two knives from this guy daniel cierto at "relentless knives". They're kinda similar in a way, as he makes all bulletproof sewercap prying blades

I had one and sold it, however I still have a bark river one and love it. The handle made the difference for me and not the usage really.

As someone mentioned it has large followings in certain circles and I cant get enough of mine.

Is it my go to knife for the woods? No that's a 4" fiddleback and an axe however I take it once in a while to the woods for fun.

Tops makes good knives. IMO tops and esee probably do the best 1095 in the business. That being said, I spend a lot of time in the woods and I wouldnt buy one. I prefer my knife and hatchet separate. I use a tops tex creek or an esee 4 hm pair with a RMJ Weezerker in the woods.

I think it's more sizzle than steak.
+1 on the school of thought that say you can get a chopper, a hand saw and a Mora for the price of a TB TRacker.
In fact, I wonder if it's cost represents more of a royalty than we might think or believe.
For the price there are other knives and Tops makes some good ones.
Me? I go with a becker BK-9 or BK-2, a handsaw and, depending on budget a Carbon Mora HD or a BK-16 instead of a Tracker.

I always bring a few knives with me in the woods , along with the Tracker. It's never usually the one-tool-option thing.
It's fun to play with , but it's a heavy knife to carry all day long. All the hype and BS aside , it actually works ok for a lot of bush tasks , but most of the time I end up going back to my BR Bravo as the things just too heavy.
It's a brute of a tool and can handle a lot of hard use , I can't deny that. I agree that it's over-priced somewhat , but it's definately unique and can be useful if you got skills. The whole scout-carry idea with this on your backside is totally not my thing , so I modded the sheath with a strap for regular belt carry.
I don't regret buying it , and I have enjoyed using it that last 2 years or so.

I instantly said heck no but after reading some actual owners experience and pictures of the things they did with their WSK trackers, I was more opened minded about it. Here was why.

Most of us (around me) go into the outdoors for fun. We dont ever have to go, we choose to go. I am not the luxury camper. I prefer to rough it. It keeps ones mind sharp. This is a great opportunity to play with a 1 tool option. It raises the bar in creativity because of the limits definded by the tool. YMMV but if you want to buy it, I think you will have lots of fun with it.

So I fell into some Amazon fun bucks. I'm out nothing and really NEED nothing. I'm smitten with my little Tops Ferret I just got. I'm actually debating on blowing it on a Tracker. It's kind of one of those divisive knives that bring out loyalists, arm chair commandos, and pot stirrers all at once when it comes up. It might be kind of fun to take into the backyard and play around with. Like what kind if bushcraft technique can I come up with to start a "survival" fire in my brick lined fire pit for toasting marshmallows:D.

I like multi tools. I like fixed blades. Maybe a toy that does a lot of different things would be fun to goof around with.

I've got a friend that has a couple of them and they are heavy. He mostly just throws them though and he's pretty decent with them. I wouldn't want him throwing one at me I know that. They stick quite often so they are good for that and hard to tear up I suppose. I wouldn't mind having one also just to check out and learn to use one way or another.

Back