1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thread and yes I see the irony ;-)

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Gary W. Graley, May 25, 2018.

1. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    A Thread about Thread, well, ever since my last spool ran out that I bought from Weaver Leather, I have had NO luck finding a suitable replacement.

I'm thinking it would need to be 1.4mm thick, white waxed thread.

Ritza Tiger thread seems like a good one but I can't locate a spool of it, only tiny bits about 25 yards worth.

And at that just a 1.2mm version which is still kinda thin so I am guessing the 1.4mm will be about right.

Open to suggestions folks, it's driving me crazy and while that is never a long drive, I keep going in circles so it turns into a longish drive :)

Thanks in advance,
    G2

some examples of what the older thread looked like, all hand stitched using the awl n awl

[​IMG]45 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0267 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Edited to add the places I've recently picked up thread that isn't so great, for me;

Tandy Leather
    Weaver Leather
    Buckleguy

Here's a sheath that shows how blah the thread looks, as the white/wax rubs off and leaves a transparent looking core, luckily the fellow that got this sheath loves it and would not have wanted something too white, but I do not care for this look

[​IMG]Tribal Lock by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Mossyhorn likes this.
  2. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Have you tried “ The thread exchange ” ?
    appears they have some .050 or 1.3 waxed thread.
    I’ve been scrolling / searching the web for hardware , tools , etc :)

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  3. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks, Dave Ferry directed me there a while back, I called them up but didn't have good luck talking with them, I'll give their website another shot and see what that looks like, but the spool size that I'd pick says about a 70 yard which isn't very much thread.
    G2

4. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    How about “ Maine thread company ” they seem to have .050 thread. They look more brick and mortar store.

I’ve been using tiger thread 1.0 but I’m just a newbie :) lol. The thicker thread sounds interesting. Probably pops more showing off the stitching :)

5. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I would try a sailmaker's thread source (having used some of this stuff myself in the past) ,e.g. http://www.bainbridgeint.com/Variants.aspx?Item=PRD-900141 though I don't really know your specific criteria.

As for the fellow who really likes that transparent looking thread. :thumbsup: I respect his very good taste. That sheath is perfect to my eye and would have been spoiled by the very white thread - oh yeah - that fellow is me. :D
    He/I - love the sheath! We like what we like eh?

Good luck in your quest for the perfect thread.

Ray

GABaus and Gary W. Graley like this.
  6. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks Ray, I made a sheath last night using some 1.2mm Tiger thread and it looks close, could be a little thicker thread but otherwise it is something that I can use, now to get some in more than 25 meters wrapped around a piece of cardboard, the image they showed on the site was a nice large roll...of course that is some other size roll !

G2

any one know a place in the USA that sells larger rolls of 1.4mm Tiger thread white?

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  7. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
  8. sparkyvega

sparkyvega

Sep 11, 2017
    Nice work, Gary. Tell us the resolution when you get this figured out.

9. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks, I think I'm closing in on it, if I can get some 1.4mm Tiger thread I will know for sure if that is the answer, the slight extra thickness will help to fill the holes better and provide a more finished look, but, if I can't locate any, at least I know that this 1.2mm Tiger thread will suffice.

G2

10. harronek

harronek Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Doesn't Tandy have a selection of thread that meets the criteria?
    I can't remember what I've got but it is very good thick thread .

Ken

11. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Nope they changed also. :(
    G2

12. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Have you searched for places that sell your sewing device (awl n all?) and maybe that'll lead you to some remaining replacement thread.
    I'm not The Master of the Obvious, but I did work on 2 of his gallery shows...

13. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Lol yes Dr Obvious but appreciate your due diligence in making sure that every avenue has been traveled

I just found some on the big river store but at over $80 it’s a bit steep for thread
    G2

14. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    I cross the t's and dot the i's and turn off the lights when no one is in the room...

Crazy how something so simple can be so frustrating.

15. darkmatter35

darkmatter35

Aug 21, 2011
    Hi Gary,
    I buy my Tiger Thread at Rocky Mountain Leather Supply. 1.2mm for $36.99 full spool = 500meters. shipping included
    John Smith

16. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks John, I ordered a roll today! I think I can live with that look the 1.2mm provides and it stays white! :)
    Appreciate the help,
    G2

17. Skystorm

Skystorm A Cow Flayin' Sheath Making Angry Gnome

Oct 17, 2011
    Gary, Ritza comes from Germany but can be sourced through Abbey England. The kicker is they only ship express overseas so best to place a years worth of a thread order at a time.

18. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks, as my work is sporadic at best, I can't really afford to keep too much on hand. When I called Weaver Leather, they claimed that they actually got their thread from Tandy and Tandy had changed their material. I had ordered from Tandy and ended up returning it to Tandy as well as to Weaver and some to Buckleguy, it has been a real pain not being able to see the thread ahead of time and to see how vastly different the thread is from back a few years ago...

This roll of 1.2 will last me a few years for sure, although I still think the 1.4 is probably closer to what I use to have, but this Tiger stuff is more flat than round so it might not really help.

G2

19. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2007
    G2,

Weaver now carries full spools of Tiger thread at a good price.

Jason

20. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks Jason, just checked, looks like they just have the .8mm size thread which is too small for my needs.
    G2