• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Three 3V Field Knives and 8" 3V Shiv, SOLD

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The Field Knife was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, no frills, high performance utility knife. The steel is Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 61-62 with a tweaked heat treat with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V this hard and thin, it is gonna blow your mind.

These knives are fiendishly sharp.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine thin edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening and it was sharpened 15 degrees per side. This is acute and it cuts very well, but is still surprisingly durable. See video.

Some might consider this a tactical knife but the point is not reinforced and it is not shaped or balanced as a weapon, it is a hard working cutting tool, more of a big skinning knife or a woods knife. There is a pry in the tang.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 3/16” 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use. Despite being relatively thin it is durable. You can baton with it.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Field Knife Specs:
3V, tested 61-62 HRC, .188” thick at ricasso
Total length 9.75”
Blade length 4.625”
Weight 8.0 oz
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners

Jared Corry sheaths are custom made for these knives and are well designed and well made. They can be worn vertical or horizontal and can be configured for left hand or right hand carry.

Rather than just take my word for it I made a video:

[video=youtube;1w1_WX_fNN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1_WX_fNN8[/video]

The 8" Shiv is a weapon, pure and simple.
Specs for the 8" Shiv:
CPM 3V, tested 60 HRC, .235” thick at ricasso
Total length 12.75”
Edge length 7.5”
Weight 11 oz
Extra grippy 3D machined scales
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners

David Brown Kydex sheaths with TecLoc are custom made for these knives and are well designed and well made.

Demonstration video to illustrate the unusual durability of this knife:

[video=youtube_share;jAFQAp3Fo9I]http://youtu.be/jAFQAp3Fo9I[/video]

There are four knives in this sale

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

8.jpg~original

9.jpg~original

10.jpg~original

11.jpg~original

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed and include a good kydex sheath.

#1 is a 3V Field Knife in black micarta, $225 SOLD
#2 is a 3V Field Knife in OD green G10, $235 SOLD
#3 is a 3V Field Knife in multi color black and brown G10, $245 SOLD
#4 is an 8" Shiv in natural micarta, $295 SOLD

Shipping in the USA is $5.

These knives are unusual because they are machined. I do this in my shop on industrial CNC machine tools. A WIP thread documenting my technique can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1048443

I take paypal, cash, check or MO.

There will be more of these in a couple weeks, and we're back on track with another run of 8" Shivs and we have a new potato knife in HRC 61 AEB-L. We'll be starting on a Lorien collaboration chopper soon. Check back on Fridays in the coming weeks, we have a bunch of stuff in the pipe line!

12.jpg~original

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

Last edited:
Nathan, I got it !
Thank you for this Badazz blade!
I'm so happy with it. This blade by far exceeded my expectations!

Nathan, can you recommend a backing that would fit this Kydex sheath? Something like a ESEE-5 Molle?
IIRC, the hole-to-hole measurements for the belt loop and sheath holes are 2" in both directions. thx.

Last edited:
Nathan, can you recommend a backing that would fit this Kydex sheath? Something like a ESEE-5 Molle?
IIRC, the hole-to-hole measurements for the belt loop and sheath holes are 2" in both directions. thx.

Not that I'm aware of. If you find something aftermarket that you like, please share that information. There are so many different kinds of things like that available I find it difficult to keep up with.

Back