• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Three 8” Fighter / Combat Shiv / Pig Sticker CPM 3V

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is a new version of my heavy duty combat Shiv. It is designed as a stabbing weapon, it's made of CPM 3V and it is built to tolerate extremely rough use in demanding environments but is not so thick to not cut.

THESE ARE SOLD, THANK YOU.

The edge thickness before sharpening was .020" and it was sharpened at 20 degrees per side, so it cuts, but at this thickness this steel with this heat treat can still cleave a concrete block without a problem. Wail on it, you're not going to break it. See video below.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of ¼” 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in insanely rough use. The blade has a swedge grind that creates distal taper and deep fullers that, together with the skeletonized tang, create a relatively light weight package (10.7 oz) that is supremely well balanced with thoughtful and deliberate distribution of mass that gives it a surprisingly light and lively feel in the hand without sacrificing tip strength.

The steel, Crucible CPM 3V, is a high performance particle metallurgy super steel with extremely high impact and torsional toughness. The heat treat has been tweaked to improve edge stability and edge retention. In this application it will easily tolerate abuse such as aggressive prying, punching holes in sheetmetal, cutting iron wire and even chopping through cinderblock. It is not stainless, but it has pretty good corrosion resistance.

Specs:
CPM 3V, tested 59-60 HRC, .235” thick at ricasso
Total length 12.75”
Edge length 7.5”
Weight 10.7 oz
Extra grippy 3D machined scales
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners

David Brown Kydex sheaths with TecLoc are custom made for these knives and are well designed and well made.

There are four knives in this sale.

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

8.jpg~original

9.jpg~original

Rather than just take my word for it I made a video to illustrate the unusual durability of this knife:

[video=youtube_share;jAFQAp3Fo9I]http://youtu.be/jAFQAp3Fo9I[/video]

The first fighter in a Dave Brown sheath is “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed. It has black micarta scales machined in a diamond quilt. $290 SOLD

The second fighter in a Dave Brown sheath is “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed. It has brown micarta scales machined in a scalloped pattern. $290 SOLD

The third fighter in a Dave Brown sheath has a ground finish. It has black micarta scales machined in a diamond quilt. $305 SOLD

The fourth fighter in a Dave Brown sheath has a ground finish. This is a 6" fighter in .165" CPM3V. It has black micarta scales machined in a diamond quilt. $275 SOLD

If you want a different sheath, let's talk about it

Shipping in the USA is $5.

These knives are unusual because they are machined. I do this in my shop on industrial CNC machine tools. A WIP thread documenting their construction can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1048443

I take paypal, cash, check or MO.

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

Last edited:
I'll take the third fighter. Thank you!

I can't PM, what's your PayPal so I can send you payment or you can send me an email at rrk0304@att.net.

Last edited:
I will take the first one if still available. PM on its way. Thank you. Mike

Ooooo! That's what I get for spending an extra minute drooling. Congrats Joe.

Whats the blade height on these?

Thanks

About 1.2"

I know they look very similar but they're actually not the same.

The 8" fighter is a little thicker and narrower and the scale shape is a little more extreme because it's designed primarily as a stabbing weapon.

The 6" is a bit thinner with a taller grind for better cutting performance. The thumb ramp is farther forward to facilitate a more comfortable cutting grip than the 8", which is tweaked more towards a saber grip and a reverse grip. The scales on the 6" are shaped a little flatter for better grip flexibility for extended cutting chores.

How bout we start a waiting list for these, seems like there is pretty good demand?

Yeah, you're probably right, I should. But the last time I did a general order list a few years ago I accidentally hurt some people's feelings and made some of my hair fall out. There's a lot going on in my shop right now and I have to do it this way to keep people from falling through the cracks.

About 1.2"

I know they look very similar but they're actually not the same.

The 8" fighter is a little thicker and narrower and the scale shape is a little more extreme because it's designed primarily as a stabbing weapon.

The 6" is a bit thinner with a taller grind for better cutting performance. The thumb ramp is farther forward to facilitate a more comfortable cutting grip than the 8", which is tweaked more towards a saber grip and a reverse grip. The scales on the 6" are shaped a little flatter for better grip flexibility for extended cutting chores.

I'll have to try and get both!

Hi, Nathan.

You said that "This is a new version of my heavy duty combat Shiv." Can you explain what is different from the old pig sticker which I have and love (maybe you already did but I couldn't find it). I'm thinking that maybe I need the new version, too. :D

TIA!

Hi, Nathan.

You said that "This is a new version of my heavy duty combat Shiv." Can you explain what is different from the old pig sticker which I have and love (maybe you already did but I couldn't find it). I'm thinking that maybe I need the new version, too. :D

TIA!

The knife was originally A2 but is now 3V. The differences between the knives is subtle. They both perform the intended task of "indestructible stabbing weapon" the same. However 3V is somewhat tougher than A2 in thin sections so there are minor tweaks to remove about an ounce of weight and improve cutting performance. The primary grinds are thinner, the fuller is deeper and slightly shifted. The clip is thinner and the thumb ramp is shifted forwards .050". I've also added chamfers to sharp edges on the dropped guard and the thumb ramp. This improves comfort and should reduce wear on the sheath.

The reduced weight in the blade allowed me to take additional weight from the tang without effecting balance, which is still superb and 100% correct for it's use as a fighter, but the reduced weight is noticeable.

I've taken the secondary bevels from 23 degrees to 20 degrees.

These changes improve the Shiv's function as a cutting tool because it is slightly thinner so it cuts better and 3V has better wear and corrosion resistance, but from the point of view of it's primary design goal I believe there is no significant difference.

Last edited:
Back