1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Three essential traditional patterns by maker

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by JohnDF, Jun 12, 2019.

1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Post up what you think are the three (only three) most essential patterns to collect by a particular maker. In other words, what are the three most essential Case knives? or GEC knives? or Buck knives" etc...

I'll start with Case Knives. I think the three most essential Case knives to buy are the Peanut, the Texas Jack, and the Large Trapper. The Peanut is legendary, the Texas Jack is their best two blade Jack Knife (my opinion), and the Large Trapper has to be their most popular pattern. You may have a different three for Case, I'd love to see them. :)

[​IMG]

chuck4570, Duper, Old Hunter and 12 others like this.
  2. lucky22

lucky22

Feb 27, 2012
    Great thread idea

Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  3. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Sweet idea I’ll try to do as many as I can think of.

Case I’ll agree on the large trapper and peanut but I’ll change the last and go with the medium stockman with the pen blade excellent little package see a lot of them.

GEC there’s so many different ways you can go but I think it’d be: Barlow, 81 Stockman, and the 72s or whatever other single or multi blade trapper pattern you prefer.

Schrade for sure the 881 full size Stockman line and it’s future idirations from the Uber rare early 881/8881/8883s to the late parts knives so many to get.
    834/34ot and the LB7 line.

Buck 110, 301, and 119 without a question

Böker 4” Stockman (best currently produced Stockman imo especially only costing $80 at most), Barlow, and trapper lots different ones

Lotta you guys will throw prototypical jack knives in some of these but I didn’t because I’m not a fan.

Old Hunter, Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  4. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Great choices, John. My three are different, though. I concur with the Trapper, but my second Case knife would have to be the Medium Stockman, their second-best seller:
    [​IMG]
    The Peanut is a wonderful pattern, but it is a secondary, or backup, knife for me, always carried with something larger; therefore, I would not include it in my "essential three." I love the Texas Jack (and the name!), but it is too similar in size and main blade as the medium stockman. There are several other fascinating patterns, such as the Texas (!) Toothpick (I prefer the medium to the small), and the Mini Trapper. But my third choice would have to be the Canoe:
    64871609-0056-4BA9-9DA5-99E85413E7C1.jpeg

5. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I certainly agree with the Buck choices. (Don't know enough yet about Schrade, GEC, and Böker.)

sXePhenomenal likes this.
  6. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Camillus

Army Engineer knife
    TL-29
    #72 whittler (Sorry. Don't have a picture handy)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    As for Case:

Swell End Capped Jack 3 3/4"; Large Stockman 4 1/8"; Sod Buster Jr. 3 5/8"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, I am an outlier here (as elsewhere) on this subject; I will go with Schrade, 1904 to 2004. All variations of 4 inch stockmans, all variations of the 3 1/8 equal end patterns (jacks, Senators, manicure, etc.) and all variations of the 5 1/4 inch folding hunter. Plus 14 other kinds of Schrades, ad infinitum; I have the disease. k1.jpg Barry Fartsmellas knife.jpg bone hunters001.jpg

9. Modoc ED

Mar 28, 2010
    As for Schrade:

80T Stockman 4"; LB-7 Bear Paw Lockback 5"; 167UH Steelhead Fillet Knife 12" overall 6" Blade

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

knowtracks, Old Hunter, 315 and 3 others like this.
  10. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I agree with both of you about the Case Medium Stockman, it just got edged out by the Texas Jack (for me). I'm much more of a Jack guy than a Stockman guy. But the Medium Stockman surely belongs in many top three Case lists. :cool: :thumbsup:

I'm glad somebody chose to do Camillus. :thumbsup:

Prester John likes this.
  11. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    For case I would say the sodbuster Jr, small Texas jack, and half whittler.
    I don't have a peanut and don't like trappers, but I imagine many would say sodbuster trapper and peanut.
    [​IMG]
    Buck would be the 119,110, and 55
    [​IMG]
    Victorinox hands down without a doubt would be the Tinker, recruit, and classic
    [​IMG]

For Camillus I don't own all 3, but I would say the #99 scout, the TL-29, and the #72 carpenter whittler.
    Colonial would probably be the ranger Barlow, ranger stockman, and fish toothpick.

12. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    For Victorinox, I think I'd say OC Pioneer, red scaled Classic, and red scaled SwissChamp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I'm away on a machine that can't access my photos, but I like this thread and want to put in a word ;)

CASE Swayback Gent (Chesntnut Bone Barehead, great small carry) Slimline Trapper Barehead, Penknife in Delrin/or Half Whittler in various scales. Big mention HAS to go to their Large Stockman in Amber Bone cv- I carry it in winter in a coatpocket:cool:

Queen Cutlery Teardop liner lock in Carved Stagbone, No.26 Small Stockman also in Carved Stagbone or Zebrawood, QCCC Teardrop Jack.

Then there's Black Box Winchester:D Swell Centre Pen, Medium Stockman, Teardrop:thumbsup:

Böker Germany (carbon models) Whittler, Penknife, Copperhead

GEC a tough choice this! 92 Eureka Jack in Greenbone all steel no brass! 68 White Owl Stainless/Bone, 73 Stag liner lock or other scales. An early success for GEC and very good size knife for muktitude of tasks.

14. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I’d settled on the Pioneer and the Classic, but I pondered over the third choice. I had just about settled on the Huntsman, as it has both the iconic scissors and saw, but after reading this I realized the Swisschamp is indeed the correct answer.

The only modification I’d make to your list is to suggest that a *true* Victorinox aficionado might substitute a birth year Soldier for the Pioneer.;)

619CC5D2-3751-473C-AF90-2F7E4091F4E4.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Buzzbait, Marlingspike12, 315 and 6 others like this.
  15. Modoc ED

Mar 28, 2010
    As for GEC:

#72 Cody Scout Lockback 3 7/8"; #66 Calf Roper Stockman 3 1/2"; #79 Work Horse Whittler 3 3/4"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I like those choices. Although, I would probably replace the Whittler with a Boys Knife, a GEC staple. :cool: :thumbsup:
    And the #72 could have just as well been any of the Trapper models, 73, 74, etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  17. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    :D;) Beat me to it:thumbsup:

Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  18. Modoc ED

Mar 28, 2010
    That would work John but I chose the #79 because it truly is a Work Horse, which is an essential knife to have when outside.

I chose that Schrade fillet knife because it too is essential when cleaning a string of fish after a day of fishing.

I chose that Case Sod Buster Jr. as it essential to have a smaller knife when your pocket space is limited but you need something stout to handle most chores on a daily basis.

JohnDF likes this.
  19. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Do not know enough about different models from anyone other than GEC . And I will not pick a favorite one .
    77 Barlow and 73 Scout
    [​IMG]
    38 Farmers Jack
    [​IMG]

Harry

chuck4570, bbk357, knowtracks and 9 others like this.
  20. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    All good reasons. :) :thumbsup:

Modoc ED likes this.