Three essential traditional patterns by maker

This should be hard, but it wasn’t.
Without a doubt my 3 favorite GEC patters are 15, 77, and 85.

K8G9img.jpg

zlY5NNo.jpg

I can go along with your choices. Good ones. Here are three Buck Classics that could easily be essentials.

Buck 301; Buck 110; Buck 119

sBBt2cR.jpg

HpGvVS0.jpg

IEkCeWG.jpg
I'm having trouble picking 3 of one brand, partly because of limited exposure and experience. But I 100% agree these being the essential Bucks. In fact as most all of us know, the 110 in particular is so iconic that in many places people refer to almost any lockback as a "buck knife". And the shear numbers of copycats cements its status as a legend.

Three essential Case Knives, my favorite brand for EDC. My most carried pattern of pocketknife for decades has been a Stockman, with the Case Medium Stockman in either the 18 or 32 pattern (with Pen) being my top choice. When I think Case I think "Barlow" so my essential Case collection includes this Redbone variation. For dress occasions I favor a flat Penknife for unobtrusive carry in light slacks - this Senator is my choice in from Case's extensive line of Pen Knives. OH
Case-Essential-EDC-Trio.jpg
Good choices and I like your reasoning behind them. :thumbsup:

I submit these three as essential Canal Street offerings:

1) Cannitler -- and my sense of it is that a clear majority would have this as the most essential CSC pattern
2) Boys' knife
3) Drop point hunter

If I was going with only folders, I'd trade out the hunter for the 2015 forum knife.

5ehDwYt.jpg
Nice to see another manufacturer being represented. :thumbsup:

This thread has convinced me that the three essential Case patterns should be a Peanut, a Large Trapper, and a Medium Stockman. Since I gave away all my Case Stockman knives, I decided to add another to the collection...

That's a nice stockman John. Hang onto it.

A lot of people, including you John, have chosen a large Trapper but it's kinda funny -not funny ha ha but funny ironic - that I have several Trappers of all sizes but have never really been drawn to that pattern enough to include one in my choices in this thread. However, had this been a thread to pick your 4 most essential knives I may well have included this old Case 3254 Large Trapper shown with it's sheath.
3dsXCRs.jpg

Sweet idea I’ll try to do as many as I can think of.

Case I’ll agree on the large trapper and peanut but I’ll change the last and go with the medium stockman with the pen blade excellent little package see a lot of them.

GEC there’s so many different ways you can go but I think it’d be: Barlow, 81 Stockman, and the 72s or whatever other single or multi blade trapper pattern you prefer.

Schrade for sure the 881 full size Stockman line and it’s future idirations from the Uber rare early 881/8881/8883s to the late parts knives so many to get.
834/34ot and the LB7 line.

Buck 110, 301, and 119 without a question

Böker 4” Stockman (best currently produced Stockman imo especially only costing $80 at most), Barlow, and trapper lots different ones

Lotta you guys will throw prototypical jack knives in some of these but I didn’t because I’m not a fan.

The only change I would make to that answer is to swap out the Case stockman for a Case Sowbelly.

Peanut, medium stockman, and Sodbuster. I have some trappers, but have never really bonded with them.

Peanut, medium stockman, and Sodbuster. I have some trappers, but have never really bonded with them.
Understood. But the trapper IS Case's biggest seller, and has to be one of the three "essential" patterns of theirs, in my opinion.

Back