Throwing the FMV8

I LIKE that playground you've set up for yourself.

Thanks for posting the vid!!!

I've just got a 20" pine round leaned against my dutch barn. :(

What advice do you have about making target and getting started. My son really likes knife throwing and I got him some cheap 8" Smith and Wesson throwing knives but I want to upgrade he seems to be sticking with it.

i dont have big enough equipment in between my legs to throw that new of a knife yet. I tend to always hit the back of the knife.

What advice do you have about making target and getting started. My son really likes knife throwing and I got him some cheap 8" Smith and Wesson throwing knives but I want to upgrade he seems to be sticking with it.

i started with and still use a cut section of a tree if you can hang it thats even better. have him watch ppl like this to figure out techniques

Large cut rounds work well because the end grain is the easiest to stick into, you can make a small tripod and mount the round to it or a very large one like I did and hang your round for a moving target. (Moving/swinging targets can throw the knife back at you with equal or more force so be very careful and have quick reflexes).
Cold steel tru-flight throwing knives are my favorite as far as affordable beater throwers and also get your son a condor double bit throwing axe, they are solid and very rewarding because they stick almost every time for everyone.

+1 for the Cold Steel TFT.
But be careful with bounces... I once almost killed myself with it when I hit that dead tree with the handle and the knife bounced back with even more force than I threw it! Managed to dodge...
The steel is really soft so it is very easy to get a new point on it if it got dull.

And if you have a Swamp Rat KDSH, I totally recommend to throw that one as well!

Great Vids & thanks for posting. I would really be interested in a Video with a further away perspective which shows you throwing the knife and the Target too. That way we can see your throwing technique as well as the knife hit the target. Technique is the key!!!
Thanks again,
Surfsidemel

Ive been throwing knives for over 20 years and that V8 looks like an awesome throwing knife. Thanks for posting the vids. But like he said a big slice of a log, 2ft in dia and 4" thick, stood on end is a perfect target. Im just now getting my 12 year old son into throwing and ive been teaching him how. Its ALOT of fun just make sure you have good lighting cause i nearly took a ricochet from 30 feet away in the chest 20 years ago or so because I was Under The canopy of the woods and it hit the target helt first and the knife came back at me and I lost sight of it in the leaves of the trees and at the last second caught sight of it and took a step to the side avoided taking it to the chest. So throw with caution. Id start out with a spear point. There well balanced and east to throw.20180621_125237.jpg 20180621_125453.jpg This hibben book helped me get started so i hope this helps you guys.

I have broken every hibben knife or axe I have ever thrown stainless steel is not meant for hard throwing plus they are usually too small and lightweight for my liking.

Back