Tigersharks

Hey, New to the forums. Also, new to knives, though i have been interested in them for quite some time.

Soon (see: when the money gets in my wallet), i will be buying a Tigershark. Is there anyone on this site that can tell me some of their experiences with the Tigershark 2.0 or the Elite? I'm leaning torwards the 2.0, simply due to it being less expensive, and me not having a viable source of income. Though, if the Elite is a hell of a lot better, i will drop that little bit of extra cash, and get it.

You can see some of the pictures "mistwalker" took in the stickied post "Pictures of your SOG Knives" at the top of the thread page. Looks good and the coating did not wear off. :thumbup: His is the "Tigershark Elite" I think.

Go for the the Tigershark Elite IMO. If you get the Tigershark 2.0 (which is the powder-coated one) the coating will wear off more easily with use than the black TiNi coating on the Tigershark Elite. That means the steel under the coating is exposed and will be more likely to rust if left unmaintained.

Cheers,
Mark ;)
SOG Knives Collectors

I have always wanted a Tigershark. I actually want one of the origional ones though, without the guard.

That thing really looks like a beast, and I'd love to carry one on a camping/hiking trip.

The guard is removable. I've done my research on this knife.

EDIT: Do they make Kydex sheaths for the Elite? I see that they made them for the older version, but what about the new ones? Thanks

Last edited:
I think LeftytwoGuns was talking about the Seki, Japan made ones, rather than the current ones with a removable guard.

Those were either the Tigershark in Sk-5 steel, the Midnight Tigershark or the Tigershark with powder coating. All made in Japan. :cool: Everyone wants their grubby paws on one of them. :D

Hehe. Just so you know, im sorta new to knives. I know the basics, but the different steels are gibberish to me. I know JHigh-carbon, spring, and Damascus.

Sog mostly uses AUS-8. It's not a bad steel.

And yes nutz_about_knives you are correct, I was referring to the Seiki Japan made ones. I have one of the seal pups, and my Seal 2000 both made in Seiki. My newer Seal pup Elites dont't even say where they are from, I suspect Tiwan just like my Seal Team Elite.

IMG_0189.jpg

Yes AUS 8 ain't a bad steel. Affordable, takes/retains a good edge easily and is stainless. But I wish SOG would use higher end steels. :)

Nice collection there LeftytwoGuns! The Seal Pup Elites are all made in Taiwan btw...

Bloodwrath970, SOG doesn't make Tigershark Elite kydex sheaths. You'll need to find a custom maker.

Damn. Well, what i was expecting i guess. Anyways. nutz, would you consider damascus a better steel? I've heard very good things about damascus. I would love to see a damascus tigershark.

Wow. That looks like an amazing knife. I will be buying 2 knives shortly (once again, as soon as i get money...), one being this knife (which seems to be absolutely brilliant), and a folding pocket knife for EDC. I was planning to get the pocket knife first, but im not completely sure (im about 95% sure im gonna get the Kershaw Shallot). But now, i'm gonna get this knife first, and then that will give me time to absolutely decide on the knife for EDC. Thanks for the link, Hammer.

Damn. Well, what i was expecting i guess. Anyways. nutz, would you consider damascus a better steel? I've heard very good things about damascus. I would love to see a damascus tigershark.

I'm not sure about damascus steel. I think there is the non-stainless version and stainless version. IMO damascus is mostly for presentation and collection purposes. Don't know of people who actually use damascus steel (except for kitchen knives). :D Haven't heard/seen enough reviews for damascus knives being used so I can't comment on that.

Hammer: Wow thanks for bringing that up! Didn't see that great review of the Tigershark Elite!

I acctually am not a big fan of the damascus look. But there's legends about the stuff, so it sounds good. Not sure how it stacks up quantitatively agains modern steels, but it seems like a good choice for any knife.

Stitching fell apart after one outing. If I don't have my hand guard on the knife falls straight out the sheath even when buckled up. Very flimsly IMO. The underside of the press stud has worn a hole in the tini finish on the blade. I would love a kydex sheath for it and I hope SOG makes one for it.

Back