Time for my exit; Adios shop talk

Of course you can make knives that is not the point
What I am saying is all of us need to post pictures of the things we claim we can do to make this forum better.

You post a lot here but it would improve the forum if you actually posted picts here as well. If this is where the discussion is taking place then this is where pictures belong not some obscure website.

This is not just about you, it is about everyone who gives advice here, there are no free passes everyone needs to show the expertise they claim to have not just talk about it.

When the purge happened and a lot of good makers left, it left a void and that needs to be filled with content which includes pictures.

No one gets a free pass everyone should be able to demonstrate their expertise, with pictures, if they claim to have it.

People bitch and moan about Youtube, but at least there you can actually see if that person knows what they are demonstrating, it should be the same here.

I took that as a little sarcastic joke due to the posts targeting him in the past. You know the ones.
Concerning posting picts, yes it is the same old discussion that would not be ever brought up again if people actually showed examples of what they are posting about.

People have to discern good from bad information themselves. Its a skill everyone should learn and use. Not just in knifemaking. Take someones advice, and do more digging and find others who are also saying the same thing.

Asking for everyone who gives advice to also post photos of their work to prove their worthiness is ridiculous. It's also very important to mention that most makers link directly to their IG or website in their signature.

On posting pictures: It's not something I always do. However if you've been here a while and know a thing or two, you probably also know who you are going to be listening too. If you are brand new and know nothing, most of us that have a even a moderate amount of skill will give them solid advice on what they should be doing. If someone who's never swung a hammer before asks how they can start making damascus, i can tell them what they should do, even though.... wait for it.... I've never made damascus. I think the issue is the constant flow of new guys that come in, start spouting off bs because the saw it on FIF and won't listen to people here that know a thing or two. But you know what, there will always be those people, because though the ones that do that usually roll out in short order, today's reality is there is a seemingly endless supply of them. Because hey, EVERYONE's special and EVERYONE's a genius right?

Asking for everyone who gives advice to also post photos of their work to prove their worthiness is ridiculous

Actually this is a good way to filter out the key board commandos.

I belong to another forum where you actually had to send them picts of your work before they would approve a knife makers membership.

Read the OP remarks, he is not the only one to feel that way

"There are more than a few internet 'experts' that give advice on every topic under the sun yet can't or won't provide a single clear photo example to prove they know what they're talking about, much less ever even attempted the topic at hand......some even when asked directly for such, offering excuses instead or leaving radio silence."

What about the old rule “you have to have a knifemakers membership to post pics of your work”..
That was kind of a big deal at one time.. I’m just curious I hadn’t been here much lately and hadn’t heard any more about it.. that stifled the pic posting for a long time

The rule is about selling knives. If you sell knives, and photo is basically advertising. The same goes for talking about sales. You need a knifemaker membership to post photos of knives you sell, or talk about knives you are selling. You can post photos with any membership level of knives you make and want to show off, or ask any questions not related to sales.

Actually this is a good way to filter out the key board commandos.

I belong to another forum where you actually had to send them picts of your work before they would approve a knife makers membership.

Read the OP remarks, he is not the only one to feel that way

"There are more than a few internet 'experts' that give advice on every topic under the sun yet can't or won't provide a single clear photo example to prove they know what they're talking about, much less ever even attempted the topic at hand......some even when asked directly for such, offering excuses instead or leaving radio silence."

As it stands right now, I can't think of a single maker on here with a gold tag that doesn't do competent work at a minimum.

What about the old rule “you have to have a knifemakers membership to post pics of your work”..
That was kind of a big deal at one time.. I’m just curious I hadn’t been here much lately and hadn’t heard any more about it.. that stifled the pic posting for a long time

That was a horrible short sighted idea and telling contributing makers they were "freeloaders" in big red letters, and receiving rude nasty PM's and emails, on the forum chased many good makers away.

Some makers chased away had long waiting lists and did not sell ever on bladeforums and simply posted to contribute content

They back peddled on it a bit but it was to late

As it stands right now, I can't think of a single maker on here with a gold tag that doesn't do competent work at a minimum.

There literally are brand new people to knife making who have knifemaker memberships here. There is zero qualifications to having a knifemakers membership here other then having the money to buy one.

There literally are brand new people to knife making who have knifemaker memberships here. There is zero qualifications to having a knifemakers membership here other then having the money to buy one.
I hadn't noticed that. Of course since several disciplines are combined, not all are knife makers primarily. Maybe I just don't notice them though

OK, enough from everyone. This is EXACTLY why John left, in my opinion.

Adam, you are acting like a child ( and if you had filled out your profile, we could know if that is the case).

Everyone chill and let this go. We are all sorry to see John leave. Tell him you will miss him, ask him to reconsider, but lets stop going far afield with forum complaints.

This is John's thread, He said his say and hasn't posted since ... So Let's leave it there.

Whichever side of the arguments you are on - Consider this notice to drop it from the Moderator.

The rule is about selling knives. If you sell knives, and photo is basically advertising. The same goes for talking about sales. You need a knifemaker membership to post photos of knives you sell, or talk about knives you are selling. You can post photos with any membership level of knives you make and want to show off, or ask any questions not related to sales.

In my mind at least, this is the root of the problem though that is causing a lot of the issues John brought up. The guys with the most useful(and accurate) knowledge to share, by and large sell their knives. Either for profit or to pay for their hobby. I don't know if things have changed, but for a long time there, mods were giving grief to some of the most talented makers on the forum for doing pretty much anything on the site if they hadn't paid up. I know half a dozen MS maker's who left for this very reason. None of them ever sold a knife here, or needed to. They posted here to socialize, share their knowledge and show off their skills(who doesn't want to brag after finishing a work of true art?). But after a while viewed it as silly to have to pay to do so when so many other locales don't charge a thing.

Just my 2 cents, take it as you will. I just think that Doyles reason for leaving needed a more in depth look as to the causes of the current state of things.

Thank you for the contributions and know that you have helped me and others develop.

As a growing beginner, I find myself excited to finally answer questions that I now have some experience with as opposed to just being a lurker. At the same time, I left one of the beginner face book groups after growing tired of discussions of BBQ heat treat of files into cleavers.

Back