• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Tip curled in shipment . . . why???

tyr_shadowblade

Gold Member
Just received a brand new knife from a custom maker I've dealt with before. Knife was made from a Sharpfinger blank that was reground to give it a double edge and maple burl was used for the handle. Beautiful knife except for one thing: the last quarter inch of the tip is curled completely around like a metal shaving. I've never seen anything like it.

I'm fairly certain that the grind was far too thin and the blade was improperly tempered leaving it too soft, but would like feedback confirming this.

Knife was paid for with a USPS MO and was insured . . . but the insurance is for significantly more than I paid for it. Box did not appear to be damaged. Knife was wrapped in newspaper and packed with styrofoam peanuts.

I've never dealt with a USPS damage claim before, and I just sent an email to the maker detailing the situation and asking what he thinks I should do. It probably was damaged in shipment, but I'm thinking manufacturer defect and improper packaging is more to blame.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

I think pics would help assess damage but it seems it would have to be incredibly thin to curl like you describe, thus giving fault to the maker. Good luck!

I think pics would help assess damage but it seems it would have to be incredibly thin to curl like you describe, thus giving fault to the maker. Good luck!

Knife is a total loss. Can't be fixed or reground. I'll try to borrow a digital camera later tonight.

Could see where the tip poked through several layers of paper in shipment, but for it to curl rather than snap just blows my mind. Almost a full 360. :eek:

The tip should have probably broken and not curled if properly heat treated. Thats not an issue, its down to packaging for the usps probably. If they dont take care fo it then the maker should.

Shipper must have dropped it [not properly boxed] but the tip was too soft.

if the packaging was undamaged, I think you're going to have great difficulty collecting on any insurance claim against UPS. From what you describe, my opinion is that whatever happened to that knife, happened before it was shipped.

How could something curl the end of the blade that badly, but not damage the box it was packed in?

see if you can uncurl the tip without using much force. maybe try using a pencil tip. if you can move it with a pencil and not have the pencil break, its way too soft.

Good luck with getting a claim filled. I had a half destroyed box and a sword shaped like the letter 'L' and it still took almost a year before the last bit of money was issued.

I wouldn't try bending it back yourself. That might just make things more difficult with the maker if you end up arguing over what happened. I'd just send it back as-is. I also might not trust a knife made by that maker again and would probably ask for a refund, rather than a replacement. Good luck getting this resolved!

Just received a brand new knife from a custom maker I've dealt with before. Knife was made from a Sharpfinger blank that was reground to give it a double edge and maple burl was used for the handle. Beautiful knife except for one thing: the last quarter inch of the tip is curled completely around like a metal shaving. I've never seen anything like it.

I'm fairly certain that the grind was far too thin and the blade was improperly tempered leaving it too soft, but would like feedback confirming this.

Knife was paid for with a USPS MO and was insured . . . but the insurance is for significantly more than I paid for it. Box did not appear to be damaged. Knife was wrapped in newspaper and packed with styrofoam peanuts.

I've never dealt with a USPS damage claim before, and I just sent an email to the maker detailing the situation and asking what he thinks I should do. It probably was damaged in shipment, but I'm thinking manufacturer defect and improper packaging is more to blame.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

I've never seen anything like it before, either. Nor the packaging.

It's not a USPS claim. Believe me. They know better.

The seller should refund or replace it. And, do so pronto.

Well, first thing yesterday morning it began being processed by the USPS claims department. Was told I should have an answer next week.

Seller told me that if claim is denied he'll refund my money.

Well, first thing yesterday morning it began being processed by the USPS claims department. Was told I should have an answer next week.

Seller told me that if claim is denied he'll refund my money.

A real bummer, no doubt about it, but it sounds like the seller intends to do the right thing so that's a bit of good news at least.

Back