Tip up vs tip down.

see I dont get the tip down for security . can you explain that? this coming from soemone who prefers tip down

Most important is the spine resting on the seam of the pocket, at least for me.

If a knife opens in my pocket it'll probably get a lot of drawer time.

Either or, ive dont both have knives with both dont care either way(the ones that are opposite I COULD change over but I care so little that I just leave them) And so far either way ive done it ive never ha one open in my pocket(luckily)

see I dont get the tip down for security . can you explain that? this coming from soemone who prefers tip down
It's true that it's mostly a matter of personal preference or how you train My personal preference is tip up . Tip up is more dangerous because if the blade opens partially and you put your hand in your pocket you may get cut. Still, if it opens alot tip down you may get cut on the leg, but that's less common. Having the blade rest against the seam does help, unless the knife moves as it may if you are active. In either case you have to check the knife regularly to make sure the pivot isn't too loose and train your self to be careful either way.
One solution is a good and fast sheath, especially one that can be worn inside the pocket ( ie with a clip).

Tip up. My thumb goes in the pocket and reaches the stud, hole or flipper as I grasp and pull. I have tried tip down but it feels awkward.

I have a Benchmade Griptillian that is only tip-up carry. I prefer it this way, because I can put the knife at the end of my front pocket. The spine is against the pocket to keep it from opening, and the knife is closer to my side. I would imagine that having the spine against the pocket on a tip-down carry would have to be close to the front of your body, or in a back pocket to be close to the side.

Up is my preference. It puts my thumb right where it needs to be to deploy. No having to flip the knife around in my hand first. It also puts the blade spine against your pocket so less likely for the blade to open if you have a soft detent.

I look at it this way.. take your folder, open it, close it, and without changing your grip after closing, put it in your pocket. How does it go in? Tip up right?

Tip down, spine against seam keeps the blade in a safe position when I put my hand in my pocket, keep in mind that this preference was due to the autos I carried back in the day, they had no safeties back then so I learned early on when my BM Mini Reflex partially opened in my pocket and put a 3" slice down my index finger...Tip down for a more secure blade.

I've never been bit by a tip down configuration. :)

Tip up. My thumb goes in the pocket and reaches the stud, hole or flipper as I grasp and pull. I have tried tip down but it feels awkward.

How can you do that? I have larger than normal hands and my thumb will only go about 2 3/4" into my pocket. I'm sitting here with a ruler measuring right now. With a small knife like a mini-grip I can barely reach the thumb stud. Nothing that I use for IDC is that small. I pull my average EDC knife out and my thumb is 1/2" from the thumb stud.

I look at it this way.. take your folder, open it, close it, and without changing your grip after closing, put it in your pocket. How does it go in? Tip up right?

Nope, tip down every time. My hand and my knife will not both go into my pocket at the same time. I have to hold the knife by the end and push it into my pocket using my first finger and thumb. My first finger is closest to the pivot end so I don't shift my grip very much when putting the knife into my pocket. I put the tip end into my pocket first and push down with the thumb and first finger on the pivot end.

Generally - tip up. I find it easier to deploy. My normal EDC is a Strider SMF. They come set up for tip up. Works for me.

I've carried both ways and find they're pretty much the same for me. The knife is open before it's even 6 inches away from my pocket with either set up.

Thanks for all of the great info on this topic. I have put this information to use over the last few days, with a few of each, and I have come to the conclusion that I prefer tip-up. It seems easier to deploy the blade, IMHO. Thanks again guys, take care !

Up is my preference. It puts my thumb right where it needs to be to deploy. No having to flip the knife around in my hand first. It also puts the blade spine against your pocket so less likely for the blade to open if you have a soft detent.

Actually I have to move my hand to put my thumb in the right place when I carry tip up. When I carry tip down and I pull it out of my pocket my thumb is in position all I do is "swing" the knife into my hand when I hold it with my thumb and finger to get a full grip after I take it out and still raising it. Than I can deploy the blade while still raising it since that takes a small fraction of a second to do.

Tip up carry I have to pull the knife out and move my hand up the knife to the proper position (I don't shove my entire hand down my pocket to pull out a knife I just grab the "top" of it thats exposed) and rotate my hand up so it feels natural deploying the blade in a more upward direction than facing down. Takes at least 2-3x as long to deploy a blade tip up.

Closing a knife and putting it in my pocket I just do the reverse of a tip down and reverse of tip up. So it takes longer for me to put it away as well.

Can't argue with wanting to have the spine of the knife against your pocket for safety, I can't argue with that logic. Though any knife I own that can be easily deployed in a pocket and doesn't have a lot of resistance, enough to ensure it only opens when I mean it to. Generally gets put away in a drawl or tightened. So for me that generally isn't a concern.

Depends on the knife. Generally, I prefer tip up, but there are also several knives where I prefer tip down.

I Prefer tip up primarily because I like the clip toward the back of the handle. I'll only carry tip down (Given the option) if a knife has a weak detent. One time reaching into my pocket while carrying a tip up configured knife with a weak detent broke me of that. It was the only time that I've cut myself badly enough to require stitches.

Tip up for me. Always tip up.
Good reason? My main knife rides in my right front pocket, the blade is against the pocket seem and will not open.
Main reason? That way the lanyard is always sticking out, and when I grab the knife, my hand slides down the handle and is in the perfect position to open the knife.
That and it's just more comfortable for me that way.

I chose one over the other just so I can simplify things. Unless a knife is only designed for tip down, I will have it tip up.

Back