Tired of all the pointless bickering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw hell, I like you too inspid, disagreeing is ok. In politics its called a filibuster lol
Personally, I like to argue. Never seen much point in all holding hands and singing kumbaya. Heck, I LIKE shinyedges, but he and I definitely disagreed in the thread in question. As long as it's interesting and stays away from personal attacks I'm all for it.

calm disagreeing isn't a bad thing. i like to see other opinions and views. i don't always like to hear or read them in the heat of discussion, but i try to remember that it isn't personal, even if it is..........so i don't get wound up and react emotionally. i welcome calm and fair disagreeing, the worst that can happen is i learn a new viewpoint or see that i was wrong, etc. it's too bad politics aren't discussed this way with open minds.

Comeuppance - I'm sure the vast majority of BF members agree with your opening sentiment, & your frustration is plain to see. I get that you wrote this in part to vent & in part to open up the discussion, and that's cool.

The jaded part of me, so....me, thinks that perhaps you're going wee-wee in the proverbial wind, but as a wise man once said; "The eye cannot see the whole truth, without first having been blinded by pee". Alright, I made that up, but I'm just trying to say that I feel your pain brother, but we all know that folks are going to be folks, & one of the main reasons some folks spend so much time on their personal computing devices is to flex their Interweb muscles. A semester of Psych 101 tells us that it all stems from common insecurities and blah, blah, blah...it's just not going to change, ever...but again, that's no reason to avoid the subject altogether, so I salute your efforts.

OP - I just stumbled upon your earlier thread, the one that sparked this one...it caught my eye because I moved from folders to fixed only. Anywho, I see why you got upset enough to start this one, it's too bad you had to close it, I love threads that emphasize fixed blades!

Last edited:
Everyone likes a good debate or argument but a lot of people on here talk shit just to talk shit for no reason at all and have no real educative response.

Here's a typical post on BF.

"Man1 - HEY! I just got a new Umnumzaan and I'm really impressed with it!"

"Man2 - That knife is a straight piece of shit because its doesn't have a G10 scale and its ugly"

"Man1 - Yeah well G10 is for cheap low end junk knives like Spydercos"

"Man2 - Spydercos rule the world bud"

"Man3 - Fuckin Spyderco fanboy"

"Man4 - Not sure why any of you idiots would spend over $400 on knife, you guys are useless humans"

and that's being a bit easy, they tend to be more harsh, again, for no reason at all.

Bladeforums is like a pillow fight.

Seriously.

^^^ This.

Compared the the gaming forums I've been a part of over the years, a little bickering on BladeForums is nothing. Heck, even the disc golf forums I used to frequent make BF look like a sophisticated bastion of grace and understanding. I'm all for discretion in online communication, but I've definitely seen worse. :thumbup:

I'm not sure what words like "fool" or "ignorant" have to do with polite argument.

What do golfers disagree about? Putters? lol THAT would be a funny thread to read.
^^^ This.

Compared the the gaming forums I've been a part of over the years, a little bickering on BladeForums is nothing. Heck, even the disc golf forums I used to frequent make BF look like a sophisticated bastion of grace and understanding. I'm all for discretion in online communication, but I've definitely seen worse. :thumbup:

Ignorant meaning lack of knowledge, can exist in a polite debate. And debates with out candid are what?

Report the posts or keep complaining. I don't care.
I'm not sure what words like "fool" or "ignorant" have to do with polite argument.

I agree with the OP. W&C is one thing, but the craptastic attitudes an 'oneupsmanship' seems to bleed over far too much. Interesting topics of substance get derailed.

What do golfers disagree about? Putters? lol THAT would be a funny thread to read.

The operative word there is disc golfers. Disc golfers are an...interesting bunch. And there's a ton of the same stuff—brand loyalty, bickering about manufacturing techniques, material choice, the whole nine yards. It's...entertaining to say the least.

Ah, doh I missed the disc part. I actually played disc golf once.
The operative word there is disc golfers. Disc golfers are an...interesting bunch. And there's a ton of the same stuff—brand loyalty, bickering about manufacturing techniques, material choice, the whole nine yards. It's...entertaining to say the least.

Ignorant meaning lack of knowledge, can exist in a polite debate. And debates with out candid are what?

Report the posts or keep complaining. I don't care.

I do report the posts. Part of the frustration the OP and several people are talking about is that it doesn't seem to change anything. Your attitude also seems to reflect your belief that nothing is going to change.

From what I've seen, too many people like to hold grudges, whether real or "fake", across different subforum and threads. So then it becomes the same people attacking or """disagreeing""" with the same people, often when it seems uncalled for. I mean I get it, especially considering how easy it is to do sometimes, but I try to look at each thread as its own separate entity. I really don't mind discussion or arguments. But it seems to get personal to some people and to be a game to others.

ETA. Part of what escalates it in every thread IMO is because everyone is so passive aggressive in general discussion. Hypothetical example of this is-"Oh, I'm not trying to offend you, I just wanted to know why you were so ignorant and ugly and I hate your shoes :) so yeah that's a nice knife:thumbup: "

Take it to whine and cheese, tear each other a new one, then move on.

Last edited:
I believe the moderators do a darn fine job, a thankless job it is. Questioning the mods? Start a thread questioning them in tech support..
I do report the posts. Part of the frustration the OP and several people are talking about is that it doesn't seem to change anything. Your attitude also seems to reflect your belief that nothing is going to change.

What if this thread devolves into pointless bickering?...

conspiracy-keanu.jpg

Seriously though; I've only met in person with a few of the people that are members here; all have been cool guys. Anyone that I disagree with here is solely based on what they wrote; not that I hate them as a person LOL.

People need to learn to be a little less sensitive & fragile IMHO; FWIW which isn't much. ;):D

I agree with the OP. W&C is one thing, but the craptastic attitudes an 'oneupsmanship' seems to bleed over far too much. Interesting topics of substance get derailed.

That's a good way to describe it. I often wonder if people purposely go into discussions strictly to get under people's skin. Matter of fact, I don't really wonder about it because it's so obvious. I think disagreements are inevitable. However, when it is someone's goal to start them I think that's where it gets old quick. It's real easy and far too common for someone to be a tough guy behind a computer screen. It takes away from the forum and the purpose it's mean to serve...

What's the old saying about a-holes and elbows? It has gotten more childish in the last few years around here. If some of the people here ran their mouths in person like they do in BF they'd get their clocks cleaned real quick. But the internet is the champion of the anonymous.

Good topic, OP.

I have strong opinions but I also have thick skin. I enjoy the banter of back and forth discussion and enjoy seeing both sides of an opinion. More than once it's improved my understanding of those I don't necessarily agree with. If you can understand an opposing view, you're more likely to treat that view with respect. Sometimes the banter turns bad and gets personal. I DON'T enjoy the personal attacks that are shrouded in passive-aggresive posturing. That belongs in W&C but not in General or Manufacturer forums.

What I particularly hate to see is when a new member joins to share their favorable impressions of knife XYZ, and "expert" gold members line up to tell them what an idiot they are for liking knife XYZ. I really appreciate the Blade Forums community, but that kind of behavior ultimately hurts these fora. I don't care how much you know about knives, if you can't write with common, decent civility toward another human being, you should stay out of General.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back