1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titanium alloy falchion-type sword

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Mecha, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello everyone,

Here is a small wakizashi-sized sword, oal 30" and a blade around 2 feet that tapers steadily in thickness, with a flattish convex bevel. The handguard is grade 38 titanium alloy, and the blade is titanium-niobium alloy, both hardened. The handle is nylon, rubber, copper, and elkskin.

I tried to finish this one out extra nicely, with some mixed results. X] Gotta get better at it.

The most important thing to me about a sword or sword-like working machete is the balance, and how it feels in motion and when cutting or under impact. I've always had a pretty strong opinion about how it should be, and this one is perfect! It's also one of my reasons for using titanium alloys - the stiff, resilient dead weight springiness of it. It is also one of the reasons for starting to grind the bevel all the way through to the end of the tang, like on a Japanese sword.

What is this "perfect" feel, you ask? For me it's how a Chinese sword (and also pretty much like a European straight sword) is designed. I was pleased to find that, in some literature Mike Quesenberry shared with me, a very deep study of the balance and percussion node points and harmonic resonances of European swords at their height of development, that the findings of the authors exactly match what I aim for. I'll try to mark a photo of the sword and show where the points are located on this one.

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little dramatic video:

2. Seth Green

Seth Green Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Wow! Very impressive! Excellent job

Mecha likes this.
  3. Storm Crow

Storm Crow

Apr 12, 2006
    Would love to feel that in hand. Badass!

Mecha likes this.
  4. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Bravo my friend

Mecha likes this.
  5. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks guys. I wish you all could see what it feels like in person, and even cut with it. It would really be a good idea to make something similar and do a huge extensive passaround here at BF. Just let everyone get loose with it.

FOG2 and Storm Crow like this.
  6. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    That looks fantastic. Great job, man.

Mecha likes this.
  7. stonproject

stonproject Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2013
    This is some of your most refined work that I can remember Mecha. It looks phenomenal

Lapedog and Mecha like this.
  8. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    You did good, buddy! :)

I need a guard...:thumbsup::p

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Mecha likes this.
  9. Snody

Snody Colorado Knifemaker Moderator

Sep 10, 2004
    Great work!

10. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Every tree and bush around anyone who read that just started quivering, haha.

Mecha likes this.
  11. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks very much everyone. What it lacks in practicality, it makes up for in weirdness.

Thanks Ston, and you got to see the very first one! I'll tell ya though, There is some new stuff in the works that hopefully will really bring these swords up to a new level of, uh, super swordyness? :confused::D

12. stonproject

stonproject Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2013
    I want a VIP tour. And there better be wine tasting!

13. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Any testing videos of this beautiful Ti Monster. It looks great and that's a lot of Ti, Thanks for sharing.

14. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    neat !!!

Mecha likes this.
  15. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Only you could make a ti sword and make it sound like you just made a pocket knife.

As always superb work.

Mecha likes this.
  16. ice-pic

ice-pic Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Very nice,I like every line on that piece.

Mecha likes this.
  17. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    never a bad time for a little self reflection:D
    nice work brother, it's been amazing to watch your progression and steadfastness over the years:thumbsup:

Mecha likes this.
  18. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    I'd love to, but can't beat it up because it's getting sent off to someone. But you can see a good example of what it would be like when the next round of Knife or Death comes out. This one is like say, 3x better than the one I used on the show, or even 5x better. It's a way better alloy, with a better heat treatment, better hilt with nice balance, and nicer grind than the one on the show, BUT the one on the show had a blade 3 or 4 inches longer and a two-handed handle.

Thanks very much! :) To Lorien, Ice Pic, and John April too.

d762nato and WValtakis like this.
  19. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    The problem is that what I want to bring about always seems to be ahead of my abilities. LOL I bet a lot of knifemakers run into this as they keep learning more and more. Still thinking about that nice fat chopper design you sent me.

Here is a photo showing the balance point and vibration nodes of this sword, and sort of showing what's going on with the curvature and how it intersects with the forward node right at the edge:

[​IMG]

WValtakis, Lapedog and Storm Crow like this.
  20. Storm Crow

Storm Crow

Apr 12, 2006