Titanium alloy falchion-type sword

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello everyone,

Here is a small wakizashi-sized sword, oal 30" and a blade around 2 feet that tapers steadily in thickness, with a flattish convex bevel. The handguard is grade 38 titanium alloy, and the blade is titanium-niobium alloy, both hardened. The handle is nylon, rubber, copper, and elkskin.

I tried to finish this one out extra nicely, with some mixed results. X] Gotta get better at it.

The most important thing to me about a sword or sword-like working machete is the balance, and how it feels in motion and when cutting or under impact. I've always had a pretty strong opinion about how it should be, and this one is perfect! It's also one of my reasons for using titanium alloys - the stiff, resilient dead weight springiness of it. It is also one of the reasons for starting to grind the bevel all the way through to the end of the tang, like on a Japanese sword.

What is this "perfect" feel, you ask? For me it's how a Chinese sword (and also pretty much like a European straight sword) is designed. I was pleased to find that, in some literature Mike Quesenberry shared with me, a very deep study of the balance and percussion node points and harmonic resonances of European swords at their height of development, that the findings of the authors exactly match what I aim for. I'll try to mark a photo of the sword and show where the points are located on this one.

Thanks for looking!

xm82gru.jpg

DsPo65E.jpg

1QHAkfQ.jpg

hXU2FO0.jpg

MhD4wX8.jpg

A little dramatic video:

Thanks guys. I wish you all could see what it feels like in person, and even cut with it. It would really be a good idea to make something similar and do a huge extensive passaround here at BF. Just let everyone get loose with it.

You did good, buddy! :)

I need a guard...:thumbsup::p

Last edited:
It would really be a good idea to make something similar and do a huge extensive passaround here at BF. Just let everyone get loose with it.

Every tree and bush around anyone who read that just started quivering, haha.

Thanks very much everyone. What it lacks in practicality, it makes up for in weirdness.

This is some of your most refined work that I can remember Mecha. It looks phenomenal

Thanks Ston, and you got to see the very first one! I'll tell ya though, There is some new stuff in the works that hopefully will really bring these swords up to a new level of, uh, super swordyness? :confused::D

Thanks very much everyone. What it lacks in practicality, it makes up for in weirdness.

Thanks Ston, and you got to see the very first one! I'll tell ya though, There is some new stuff in the works that hopefully will really bring these swords up to a new level of, uh, super swordyness? :confused::D

I want a VIP tour. And there better be wine tasting!

Any testing videos of this beautiful Ti Monster. It looks great and that's a lot of Ti, Thanks for sharing.

Only you could make a ti sword and make it sound like you just made a pocket knife.

As always superb work.

never a bad time for a little self reflection:D
nice work brother, it's been amazing to watch your progression and steadfastness over the years:thumbsup:

Any testing videos of this beautiful Ti Monster. It looks great and that's a lot of Ti, Thanks for sharing.

I'd love to, but can't beat it up because it's getting sent off to someone. But you can see a good example of what it would be like when the next round of Knife or Death comes out. This one is like say, 3x better than the one I used on the show, or even 5x better. It's a way better alloy, with a better heat treatment, better hilt with nice balance, and nicer grind than the one on the show, BUT the one on the show had a blade 3 or 4 inches longer and a two-handed handle.

Only you could make a ti sword and make it sound like you just made a pocket knife.

As always superb work.

Thanks very much! :) To Lorien, Ice Pic, and John April too.

never a bad time for a little self reflection:D
nice work brother, it's been amazing to watch your progression and steadfastness over the years:thumbsup:

The problem is that what I want to bring about always seems to be ahead of my abilities. LOL I bet a lot of knifemakers run into this as they keep learning more and more. Still thinking about that nice fat chopper design you sent me.

Here is a photo showing the balance point and vibration nodes of this sword, and sort of showing what's going on with the curvature and how it intersects with the forward node right at the edge:

D7Xjv7k.jpg

Back