Titanium Spydie discussion(new angle)

Ok so I got caught up in a moment of coolness and bought a Ti Millie. I got a good deal on it and have owned reg Millies before so I am sure I will come out ok on the other side if my question yields undesirable answers, but here goes:

Besides the coolness of Ti, isn't it good also for strength and durability? There are smaller Spyder-Tis that this probably wouldn't affect too much but on something like a Millie, is there added value in the material? I am thinking about EDC here mostly, not hardcore bashing and breaking with savage intent.

Thank you for helping me justify my cool ass knife! Lol :)

It won't rust, and it is less dense than SS. So if you want a metal handled knife, it makes for a good combination of tough and strong enough with relatively light weight. Like SS and Al handles it shows marks easily. I bought a CRUWEAR version, but unless I could get a fluted Ti for a decent price, I will never own a full Ti Military. Too much heft. IMO, it is a bit of a novelty and fad to make knife handles out of Ti. It is not necessary, and overkill. That being said, I have and love many Ti handled knives.

Hey there, I got my ti Millie a couple of months ago. My immediate reaction was that it was too big and too heavy. I started carrying it and quickly realized that it was neither too big, nor too heavy for me. I love the knife. I carry it everyday now and I'm happy I got it. Sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't have been just as happy with a regular g10 and the extra $75 in my pocket. Honestly, I don't know. I've gotten pretty used to the heft now and have kind of come to appreciate the feel of it. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the Millie's. The ti is great. Enjoy it.

If you enjoy it, that's plenty justification for owning it. Objectively, a titanium Military is colder, slicker, heavier and more spendy than a G10 flavor. But since all knives cut stuff pretty much the same, its the differences in design, materials, etc. that help us to subjectively like or dislike a particular knife. A titanium Military is very easy to subjectively like.

I sold my old titanium Military when the newer flavor came out with the steel insert on the lock bar. But while a Ti Military may not be objectively "better" than a G10 version, it certainly has an aesthetic appeal, and that's a plenty good reason for buying one. I intend to get another one someday when the price is right.

It is good to have both. I love my Ti Millie but I use the G10 version more as it is quicker to deploy, lighter and it has a grippier handle. The last two factors are the important ones (to me anyway) as the combination of the weight and a bit of a slippery handle together are not great. For a user IMHO you can't beat the light and grippy feel of the regular model. Now from a cool factor perspective, it is hard to beat the Titanium version.

You didn't need any of us to tell you it's a cool ass knife.....you already knew it's a cool ass knife.

I recently got myself a titanium millie and a fluted ti version. They are absolutely gorgeous but so far I can't get myself to take them out of the box even because they are too nice. I hope I can overcome this.

I recently got myself a titanium millie and a fluted ti version. They are absolutely gorgeous but so far I can't get myself to take them out of the box even because they are too nice. I hope I can overcome this.

I do it in doses- carry 10 mins here, 20 mins there- I'm workin up to an hour out of the box and we'll go from there I guess ;)

I do it in doses- carry 10 mins here, 20 mins there- I'm workin up to an hour out of the box and we'll go from there I guess ;)

Dude, just USE it. It's a knife. A great knife, but in the long run it's a tool. It's not just a toy to fondle while you sit at the computer or watch TV. I'm not saying to abuse it, but don't be afraid to carry it and pull it out when you need a knife.

The TiMilitary gives you cooler looks and a framelock but other than that I don't think it has any benefits over the G10 version.
Ti Military=cooler looks and more collectible
G10 Military=better for actually cutting stuff

Dude, just USE it. It's a knife. A great knife, but in the long run it's a tool. It's not just a toy to fondle while you sit at the computer or watch TV. I'm not saying to abuse it, but don't be afraid to carry it and pull it out when you need a knife.

I was having a bit of fun with it. I actually carried a G10 everyday until I sold it to buy the Ti so I will be holding it quite often I promise. The other issue is I have got a lot of new knives recently and want to carry them all without looking like a psycho havin 8 knives hangin off me at Applebee's scaring kids and the waitress lol so I gotta break it down to one or two at a time and go from there, bit the Millie will earn its way to the front again.

I agree. Life is short... People should get enjoyment out of their blades as much as possible.

After all... What good are these expertly made tools if they just sit in the drawer all day long?

:)

Not sure the age of people here, but when I was younger Titanium was impossible to get. Until the Soviet Union collapsed and Titanium was starting to be exported, you never saw it except in aerospace, military etc. In 1990 I bought a Kerker exhaust for my 1990 Yamaha FZR400RR. The Kerker had a carbon fiber muffler and titanium tubing. I think I paid close to $2k :eek:

The only blades I have with Titanium are my Techno and a prototype necker from Newt Livesay. To me it is more of a curiosity, and prefer other handle materials.

Not sure the age of people here, but when I was younger Titanium was impossible to get. Until the Soviet Union collapsed and Titanium was starting to be exported, you never saw it except in aerospace, military etc. In 1990 I bought a Kerker exhaust for my 1990 Yamaha FZR400RR. The Kerker had a carbon fiber muffler and titanium tubing. I think I paid close to $2k :eek:

The only blades I have with Titanium are my Techno and a prototype necker from Newt Livesay. To me it is more of a curiosity, and prefer other handle materials.

Things change for sure. I am wearing a Ti wedding band that I paid $15 for. It replaced my original Ti band I lost, and as far as I can tell it is the same material. Lighter than gold, ss, tungsten rings, scratches up the same, and looks identical to the original.

Man you realize how large a Military is when your 10 year old needs her drink straw cut down in the middle of the food court at the Mall. I am like honey it will be fine just drink from it the way it is and she's all dad can you just make it shorter. Anyway I very discreetly brought out my knife, opened it just enough to cut off the straw and put it away quickly. It's a big ass knife in a public setting.

Back