Titanium vs. Aluminum handles

One last note:

Let's say low-alloy high-tensile steel does have superior a stregnth to weight ratio. Tell me Mr. Allen which weighs more, 100 pounds of feathers or 100 pounds of lead? It's a trick question, they weigh the same. But what is the VOLUME of these two materials? This is what I meant by "there's more to a materials suitability for a particular application than it's stregnth to weight ratio." You're leaving out volume to weight ratio.

How bout this, you have two sebenzas. One with a Titanium handle, the other with a low-alloy high-tensile steel handle. Let's say the low-alloy high-tensile steel is 100 times stronger than the titanium. It is still going to weigh close to twice as much. There is no way of getting around this Mr. Allen. You can continue argueing about your "optimizing weight" or your "strength to weight ratios" in old english or you can use your turkey metaphors, just argue the points and stay on track.
------------------
Johnny
[]xxxxxx[]=============>

[This message has been edited by JoHnYKwSt (edited 29 September 1999).]

Maybe it’s time for a chill pill? I’m the luddite who introduced the Sebenza example, so sorry for fueling the following series of exchanges. I’m certainly learning quite a bit from both Cougar Allen and JoHnYKwSt, and I appreciate the polemical passion you both exhibit in making good arguments. It demonstrates the kind of liveliness that makes the forum exciting and worthwhile, more than just one big infomercial. But let’s be sure to keep this from becoming a series of insular, personal exchanges?

Maybe to get us back on track: I noted earlier that Chris Reeve has a good reputation for making sound decisions in choosing materials, design, etc., and is noted for not being influenced by fads. Simple Q (I hope): in the *particular* case of the Sebenza, what steel or other material could make for a better handle, at equal or lesser cost?

Glen (the dunce sitting in the corner)

------------------
"What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?" -Elvis Costello

Although probably more expensive the following also offers some improvements, and I'll guess some downsides that some others can point out.

A composite steel and polymer handle would possibly be lighter, but the main advantage would be in having a more comfortable handle, one that could offer a better grip and thermal properties. Although a steel handle, liner I guess in this case could be made as strong and probably with similar spring properties, a disadvantage would be that the steel is thinner and thus doesn't offer as much support for the pins. An expensive work around would be to have thicker bosses around the pins.

How about the very important fact that Titanium has a very high COOLNESS factor?!

------------------
Knives have edges; teeth are for saws!

John 14:6

Back