Tl-29

Just picked up a Camillus at an estate sale for $9. It's in good shape. Some scrathces on the scales but no nicks or gouges. Bail is pretty tight. Crisp half stop on the main blade, no edge damage, some discoloration. Screwdriver/wire stripper has crisp half stop and locks up pretty tight, no damage on it either. Back springs are thick. Looks like it was carried some, maybe used a little, maybe tossed in a toolbox. This thing is a beast. Anyone carry one of these on a daily basis? Or is it a toolbox- glove box- tackle box knife for you?

Frank

I have a few in my military collection... I have an older Klein in my garage, to knock around a bit. They are a handy knife to carry around. Do you have pictures?

Let's see some pictures! :) Does your Camillus have wood scales?

There are a lot of great TL-29 threads in this forum, search for both "TL-29" and "electrician's" and you'll find plenty. I've been reading all of them over the last few days as I've decided I *must* own a couple of these. This design seems like the perfect answer to my dilemma that a need a few multitool-y things, but just can't bring myself to EDC multitools. The TL-29 have a lot of great history and design.

Last edited:
No pics, yet. I went from the estate sale straight back to work. It's got black delrin(?) scales. There was another there with wood scales but it was in really rough shape. Looks like I have some reading to do.

Frank

Here's a photo from one of those TL-29 threads. I am guessing yours is smooth Delrin ...These are my only sideline. I carry a old Schrade one that was made with no bail as a once in a while EDC......... 300Bucks

CamillusTL29Group.jpg

Last edited:
I have a couple TL-29 like Klein knives which I think were promotional items made by Camillus. Some have wrenches and one has a folding crate opener. I don't use them though.

klein-stag-wrench-knife.jpg

I do tote this old Schrade Cut Co sometimes. It's one of the best knives that I've bought for 10 bucks. The blade takes a great edge.

schrade-electrician-1.jpg

It locks but there isn't a liner lock. The blade is unlocked by pressing down on the main blade.
schrade-electrician-3a.jpg

It's about the same size as my Case/Bose Dogleg Jack.
Schrade-Cut-Co-Size-Comparison.jpg

Like Supra I have a Schrade but with a liner lock, I want one of those push locks now, and I carry it some for EDC in a hanging pocket sheath.

SW204.jpg

SW204a.jpg

Usually use the one I made with braided 'super' fishing line.
Belt.jpg

Some may even like hanging the TLs from a belt clip, might be better for work, I don't like it flopping around getting scratched.
300Bucks

A user

When I was a union electrician in NYC, I carried one on my tool pouch
Three years of contant use

I'm really enjoying your photos, everyone. 300bucks, I especially like that Schrade;the wood color looks wonderful. I am green with envy. Great sheath, too. Does it hang loose, or in your pocket?

It hangs inside your pocket over along the seam of your pants or shorts. It reduces the "image" of a knife down in the front of your pocket. For quick access you reach around and grab the line hanging from the belt and pull up sheath and remove the knife outside. Don't get a sheath so tight that you can ease you hand in your pocket and pull the knife out. With a little practice you can do that all the time.

I usually carry the Schrade in a coat pocket. It's on the upper limit of what I find comfortable to carry in a pants pocket. The sheath looks pretty slick.

...Btw, I think I'm wearing the same pants, 300. I'll try not to wear a matching outfit tomorrow. Lol!

Great minds think alike.....I wear that style 97%, the wife's choice 3%......wish they had a watch pocket to slip in a peanut.

Anyone thinking about trying one of these sheaths. I make my own now, after buying a couple. I buy pre-made sheaths and then use the old Boy Scout skill of long ago to braid the 'hangers'. The one in the picture on the left was braided from leather from a Hobby store with a Lobby. The other one I was trying for low visibility and is braided with "Super" style Bass fishing line. You can look up braiding techniques on the computer at 'knot' websites. I glued the loops of my braided line together with super glue, then wrapped the connection carefully with more line and glued the whole connection knot. I use one often and have never had a break.

Without going to cabinet, I believe the line is called Super Braid. 30 lb test. Four strands woven together.

Even with a knife as large as a TL-29 there is low visibility in your pocket when the knife is hanging in the pocket along the seam. Now if you wear super tight jeans you are on your own.

FYI 300

Last edited:
I love my TL-29!! It's made by Camillus, with black delrin handles, and the blade is etched "XCelite brand" (as I've mentioned before, some of my favorite electrical tools are XCelite. I'm a marine electronics technician).

Got mine in my pocket right now. I have about 10" of leather thong attached to the bail, with a loop on the loose end. I tuck the loop/knot under my belt, and just tug it free when I'm ready to use it.

Quick snapshot:
TL29atwork.jpg

Last edited:
My first are coming my way; a couple beaters that cost almost nothing to get a feel for the pattern. Hopefully theyll clean up decently.

Back