Tmie for a new stop pin for my Sebenza?

I thought I've read somewhere that the top of the framelock-portion was heat-treated to +- 62 hrc,and since the blades are only around 58/60 hrc,how come that the lockbar can wear out?

Please inform me!

Raoul...

Good point Raoul. I be curious too. In fact I'd like to hear from any one of about 2%(out of a 100% worldwide)here that has experianced a dead, flat, or low spot on the stop pin sleeve of a Sebenza. I've personally have never had one on the, oh, lets just say 20 or so Sebs that I've owned and used throughout that last 10 years. Not to say it doesn't happen, just I've never heard or seen it. The thing is very, very hard.

BTW: I'm just guessing us forumites are only about 2% of the total Sebenza users worldwide. It's probably more like 0.7%. :rolleyes:

GarageBoy said:
BTW: its Eccentric, not concentric

There are folders with an eccentric (i.e. not round) stop pin, but the Sebenza is not one of them. Not sure though that it would be correct to describe a round stop pin as "concentric". Personally, I favor the term "round". ;)

In talking with the CRK Shop Foreman at Blade this year, I asked him what types of repairs are being done on knives in service, and he said that Sebenzas do come through the door needing remedy of lockbar wear. We're talking about two surfaces, though both hardened, that are making frequent and semi-forceful contact here. They're going to wear, though in my experience very, very minimally. The lockbar on the Seb that I've been toting since '02 sorta settled in at %75 percent and has not moved in a year or so. But I don't open mine with the force of the Heavens either...

Rather than hypothesizing inside our CRK microcasm (sp? :)), don't be afraid to pick up the phone and call the shop. Talk to the Foreman, or heck, ask for Chris or Anne. I have, and I know that Chris appreciated answering my questions directly rather than my drawing my own conclusions, or worse, ruining my Sebenza!

Professor.

I think though the Ti is harder, it's stll less wear resistant. (Like spyderco's use of 440V being left at 56-57RC still held an edge better than 154 CM a point or two higher)

Professor said:
In talking with the CRK Shop Foreman at Blade this year, I asked him what types of repairs are being done on knives in service, and he said that Sebenzas do come through the door needing remedy of lockbar wear.

Did he mention what they would do about the wear? Is a new lock scale the only option?

Professor said:
We're talking about two surfaces, though both hardened, that are making frequent and semi-forceful contact here. They're going to wear, though in my experience very, very minimally.

I have the same experience. I have no doubts that my sebenza would last a lifetime.

sturluson said:
I thought it was impossible to harden titanium much past 40RC?

The surface can be hardened much higher, but only the surface. I think it is much harder than 62 RC even, in the 90's if I remember correctly. The problem is that is is very thin, which may explain why it it wears instead of the blade.

JoHnYKwSt said:
Did he mention what they would do about the wear? Is a new lock scale the only option?

I'm curious too Prof. as to what Mike had to say about this.
:thumbup:

...but I'm not sure I asked exactly how they remedied the wear. It's not a concern for me anymore; it used to be, but honestly, by the time I wear that lock out, the handles will be so boogered-up and dinged that all the re-furbing in the world couldn't save them! Ha!

Besides, that why we should have more than one Sebenza, right? :)

Professor.

Agreed Prof.;)

As I said in an earlier response, I have yet to a see stop pin wear out, but yes, I have worn a large Seb lock to the left handle side. Though I have to admit; even in that instance, the knife in the open position still was tight with NO blade play. This was long before the factory actually changed the cuts on the underside of the lock. They might have as well changed some of the configuring(?) to the lock-bar/blade bottom to help with overtravel as well.

I finally had time last night to work on the knife. For whatever reason, rotating that stop pin seemed to do the trick.:)

B/

Back