To Metal wedge, or not to metal wedge? That Is The Question...

I like this discussion. Very informative.

Round wedges I think look horrible...BUT logically they seem the better of the metal wedges.

How about the aluminum wedges the racing axe handles use? Seems like they can take a real hard pounding and drive home well. Any one ever use one?

Cant say that I have. Dont even know where to get one. Guess I could find out.

Awesome I have been looking for an axe drift. Didn't know they were called that. I had to make my own lol. Nice site. Looks serious.

Yeah I want a drift as well, been using a hatched handle scrap. Works quite well.

They are in NZ though, would hate to see the shipping cost...

Yeah I want a drift as well, been using a hatched handle scrap. Works quite well.

They are in NZ though, would hate to see the shipping cost...

How about the info on the handles? Red wood vs white wood. Good info there as well. These guys are hard core.

Head spin on grinds? How about the prices LOL. Looks very interesting though.

Given the force these are used, along with weight of the heads. It makes sense on using such a powerful wedge. No chance really of breaking it when driving it. Probably the tightest fit you could have.

Given the force these are used, along with weight of the heads. It makes sense on using such a powerful wedge. No chance really of breaking it when driving it. Probably the tightest fit you could have.

I would agree. When you watch these guys chop, it is total body. Legs, torso, all power shifting into the head of that axe, so it has to be on there really good. I am sure if you had one of those, it would be something else. I really like the bit length. Now we are talking some serious chopping area there.

I would agree. When you watch these guys chop, it is total body. Legs, torso, all power shifting into the head of that axe, so it has to be on there really good. I am sure if you had one of those, it would be something else. I really like the bit length. Now we are talking some serious chopping area there.

There are "working" versions of the axe. Even smaller sizes. I would like one eventually for the collection, and use.

i will start by saying; I AM NO EXPERT!!!
i however use to compete in college level 'logger sports' at UM. it has been quite a few years, but i do remember those compitition axes having metal wedges. i have some old friends that have competed prof.. one of them i am still in contact with and i know that he has 4 of the tuatahi racing axes that he got because a fellow owed him $ for a logging job.
i did use them some 'back in college' and i can say that they are beautiful.
i could call this fellow and see if he has any 'connections' about or for 'racing axes'...

Aren't the factory aluminum wedges ribbed so they can't slip up and out? Do you think they will slip if they are not ribbed?

Aren't the factory aluminum wedges ribbed so they can't slip up and out? Do you think they will slip if they are not ribbed?

I think some course sandpaper ran across the wedge would suffice for grip. I think the force alone you could use to drive these home would be enough to hold them in.

I just removed a double bit from the handle and it had an aluminum wedge. That sucker was in there like a hair in a biscuit. i basically had to completely remove all the wood from around it and beat the head down on the handle more so i could get a grip on it. Even then it refused to budge. I had to literally drill down the sides of it to relieve enough pressure to get it out. I'll take a pic of the removed wedge if anyone is interested. By the way, it is ribbed/beveled/stepped whatever you want to call it.

Back