Today I bought a rifle....

It is an old Stevens .22 ,rather beat-up but it is FULLY automatic. I guess it's illegal now,isn't it ? Dare I sell it at our flea-market without fear of arrest ?

Uncle Alan needs to know. :confused:

It is an old Stevens .22 ,rather beat-up but it is FULLY automatic. I guess it's illegal now,isn't it ? Dare I sell it at our flea-market without fear of arrest ?

Uncle Alan needs to know. :confused:
It's probably just a semi-auto thats so worn that its firing way too fast. This can be dangerous if so and could fire out of battery and could possibly hurt you or someone else. I don't think i'd sell it without letting a gunsmith check it out. I blew up an hk-91 back in 1989 it was very dangerous and am glad i did'nt get hurt. So i'd have it checked out for sure before selling or shooting it.

Throw it in the bottom of a deep pond or something you really really don't wan't to mess with gun regulations also you don't wan't to play with a firearm screwed around with by some Bubba wannabe gunsmith.

It's probably just a semi-auto thats so worn that its firing way too fast. This can be dangerous if so and could fire out of battery and could possibly hurt you or someone else. I don't think i'd sell it without letting a gunsmith check it out. I blew up an hk-91 back in 1989 it was very dangerous and am glad i did'nt get hurt. So i'd have it checked out for sure before selling or shooting it.

My suggestion as well. It is not likely to be purposely altered, just has a worn sear engagement. Take it to a competent gunsmith is my recommendation.

For starters, when you get an old semi auto that does that, don't say anything. Second thing, take it completely apart and let a gunsmith work on it/put it back together, or, if you can visually see that a part is broke you know the first thing to replace. Try Numrich for parts.

Whether it was made to fire like that, or if it's old and malfunctioning/slam firing, it's the same in the ATF's eyes and you need to get it fixed asap. There's no sense in taking the risk.

Probably a worn sear/hammer notch. Similar thing happened to some friends and I when I was about 12 years old. Confusing to a young un when you only get 2 shots out of a seven shot clip. A good gunsmith might be able to re-notch the hammer and sear and maybe case harden.

Sub machine gun, huh?

Disassemble it ...and take NOW to that DEEP body of water whetrock suggested...and say goodbye.

I guess you could just beat the thing to death with a sledge hammer, well the firing mechanism at least.

Retained possession in its current condition is a very BAD idea....the jail bologna sandwiches don't always include cheese.

Ugh. That sucks. Did you spend a lot on the rifle? If not, I personally would slag it, bury it, and/or drown it. It is well within the power of the ATF to make your life very miserable for mere possession of such an item, regardless of intent or responsibility on your part. I'm talking like legal fees would be the least of your worries if they decide to mess with you over this. Pretty sure people have been imprisoned over malfunctioning firearms.

...you guys are paranoid!! Intentionally, Knowingly, Recklessly, Criminal Neglect, unlawful search and seizure... ...this is America, nobody's going to come kick in your door and haul you off because your 22 is malfunctioning.

You shot it, it has a problem. Now you know it has a problem, you should fix it or at least disable it. If you're handy maybe you can figure out what the matter with it, it could be as simple as a broken spring or a gunked up sear/hammer (22s are notoriously dirty). Worst case scenario is you need a new hammer and/or sear. You could have it fixed or you could remove the hammer and sear and sell it as a non-working gun.

ElConquistador, could be...none of the >270 people who now know he has an unregistered subgun will rat him to the ATF or real police.

When I had an older AR go full auto at my club a couple of years , I removed and destroyed the faulty disconnector at the bench then and there..funny were a couple of guys that wanted it.

Paranoid - there could be someone out to get you..or not.

...you guys are paranoid!! Intentionally, Knowingly, Recklessly, Criminal Neglect, unlawful search and seizure... ...this is America, nobody's going to come kick in your door and haul you off because your 22 is malfunctioning.

You'd be surprised what the ATF has/can do.

When it comes to a situation like this, it's best to be safe.

take it too a gun smith

if you decide to destroy it like the rest say,, thermite works very well at destroying anything metal

might want to try that before anything else

if it was me personally, i would shoot a few rounds through it full auto (one time, one day) and then take it to a gunsmith to repair

Last edited:
Do not sell it like that.
A Gunsmith can put a new sear in it cheap.

If you do not want to fix it you could all ways just take it to the local PD,tell them you bought it and what it is doing and that you do not want to mess with fixing it.They can take it and destroy it for you plus you are for sure out of the picture on it.
I would have it fixed.

Please, don't sell it. That would be very irresponsible. It just has a worn sear. Take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired or destroy it (i.e. drowning, torched, etc). I would suspect that a good smith would probably charge you the price of the part ($2+/-) plus an hour of labor. The ATF has more pressing matters to contend with, then to worry about your old worn out 22 rifle. As another member has stated, there was not likely any intent or malice involved. It's just a malfunction, albeit a very dangerous one. I say fix it and enjoy shooting it (semi-auto that is) ;)

You shot it, it has a problem. Now you know it has a problem, you should fix it or at least disable it. If you're handy maybe you can figure out what the matter with it, it could be as simple as a broken spring or a gunked up sear/hammer (22s are notoriously dirty). Worst case scenario is you need a new hammer and/or sear. You could have it fixed or you could remove the hammer and sear and sell it as a non-working gun.

You'd be surprised what the ATF has/can do.

When it comes to a situation like this, it's best to be safe.
Guy goes to federal prison for building PVC pipe bombs courtesy of friend who ratted him out for lesser charges on coke, 6 months after incident. FBI scared him into giving up the location of an unexploded bomb. What was that people were saying about the ATF not going crazy about arresting people?
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131362073&

Unregistered weapon is way below unregistered automatic firearm, along with the PR that goes with such a bust; represents an even juicier get out of jail free card.

If you post about something like that in an identifiable way (and spark is subpoeanable), it needs to be immediately dealt with.
Zero

take it too a gun smith

if you decide to destroy it like the rest say,, thermite works very well at destroying anything metal

might want to try that before anything else

if it was me personally, i would shoot a few rounds through it full auto (one time, one day) and then take it to a gunsmith to repair

Home made thermite would land you in jail just as easily as the weapon

The rifle is marked 'Fully automatic' I sold it to a FHP lt. & made $25 profit.

All better now !

Uncle Alan a relieved country lad....

Holy cow!!! Was it a transferable auto?? If so it could have been the find of a lifetime. Glad you made $25 but it could have been worth much more.

Back