Today I bought a rifle....

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by uncle Alan, Nov 6, 2011.

1. M67

M67 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    The rifle was made to to full auto and someone sold it to you without any class 3 work? This situation had the potential to be very bad, it still has the potential, buying and selling of a class 3 item with no paperwork is a felony.

Tell you the truth, best thing to do would have been to axed it.

2. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I don't think I would have put that on the net.
    IIRC what you did if caught carries a 25 year prison term.

3. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    Wait,something just came to mind.
    Someone correct me as I am sure I do not have this right.If the gun is old enough does that make it non class 3?

4. M67

Apr 17, 2010
    Nope, still class 3, still a felony.

5. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    Kind of figured that.
    I never got into the Class 3 stuff and don't hear much about the ins and outs of it.

6. High Density

High Density

Oct 4, 2010
    interesting....

7. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    Stevens are and were very popular, chances are it wouldn't be too hard to get your hands on a new seer pin if need be. Some of the old Stevens Anschutz rifles are lead lasers. I have a single shot 1926 Remington 510 that will shoot pinky nail sized groups at 100 with iron sights. I had to put a bolt handle and a trigger guard on it but I paid 90 dollars for it. Sometimes its worth investing in. "Best thing to do" would have been to call up BATF and tell them the truth, exactly what happened and that the item was misrepresented and that you got more than you paid for. There probably would have been a short investigation but it would definitely be the safest side of things.

8. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Be happy with the 25. It's better than 15-20. ;P

9. Nimick

Nimick

Jul 26, 2005
    horse hockey...

Not an explosive, BATFE no care. It's very difficult to commit anything besides vandalism with thermite, and vandalism is vandalism.

On the gun, I would've had it fixed. If it was an old 87B they sometimes do that. I think it was foolish to sell it as an auto, but you done did it. Enjoy the $25.

Are there any automatic guns old enough to be antiques? That would be a hell of a thing.

10. Unk

Unk Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Very interesting.

Hope you wiped your fingerprints off before you sold it to the FHP trooper...and no bill of sale was involved.

Guess most of us assumed you bought a malfunctioning rifle but if stamped "Fully Automatic" definitely Class III..believe there may have been a provision a long time ago for registering and/or turning in illegally possessed automatics but that is long past..pretty sure that as a civilian/non-manufacturer that you can not enter a new automatic into the Federal Registry of same.

Might have been a collectible original worth a bazillion dollars but no way to legally possess now.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  11. Leadfoot2

Leadfoot2

Aug 21, 2007
    Fully automatic? And just how was this marked?

Or did it just say automatic, just like the thousands of other Stevens made?

There is a difference.

Oh and on a side note, PFR is drinking his bath water again.

Leadfoot

12. Tilley Knife

Tilley Knife I'm Daniel, I make stuff

Jul 6, 2011
    Have fun in federal prison. Maybe you and the Lt can be cell mates. Don't drop the soap.

13. Nimick

Nimick

Jul 26, 2005
    Y'all do realize that Mr. Alan is a long-lived gentleman who would have to get past a federal judge before he could get thrown in prison for anything. I'm not saying it can't happen. But I am saying it probably won't.

14. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    Is a Stevens easy to convert or something? I have a Stevens 887 that my Dad gave me when I was very young, which is why I keep it. But it is by far the worst .22 I have ever had or shot. Heavy, bad trigger, inaccurate and a jammamatic.

15. M67

Apr 17, 2010
    I'm just saying the ATF doesn't dick around when it comes to non registered full autos and ignorance of the law doesn't exist in their eyes.

I just said axe the damn thing to be safe.

16. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    I know a older man that buys and sells at gun shows,been doing it his whole life.Early this year he told me he was selling out as one of his friends,a 78 YO had just got busted by the ATF.He bought a gun from an undercover ATF guy and then put it back out on the table for sell at a mark up.Later another ATF guy came buy and bought it.They followed him home and seized his car and all the guns he had.He was charged with weapons dealing or something to that effect.
    It can and does happen.
    Oh and there was no Class 3 stuff involved.

17. kfgk14

kfgk14

Jun 18, 2010
    Make it disappear.
    I don't mean tomorrow, or next week. I mean now. Sick day, angle grinder, forge. Make a knife out of it or something.
    Destroy all evidence, and remove this thread ASAP.

ETA: Missed that you sold it...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011