Tom Anderson folders....opinions

ARtsig1

Banned
Would like to get some opinions from anyone familar with Tom Anderson's folders. I have a Talisman folder comming in on Monday. I have looked at the pictures and read the specs. but I would like to see if anyone has any experience with this maker. Did a search and came up with a lot of positive comments. Are these folders a light, medium , or heavy duty folder? Construction is titanium with snakewood overlay. I really like my folders to be a bit on the "beefy" side so I guess what I am really asking is: Are Tom Anderson folders "working" folders or "dress" folders? Any and all comments appreciated.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

Artsig,

I don't mean to sound like an a$$, but I feel I must share the truth.

A few weeks ago, when the CRKT Viele WASP was announced, someone commented that it looked more like a Tom Anderson design. I was told by a rather reputable internet dealer that Tom Anderson was trained by Howard Viele, which would account for their similar designs. This proved to be erroneous information, as Mr. Viele personally emailed me to "set the record straight" that he has never worked with Tom Anderson, and that Mr. Anderson is basically stolen a "look" that Mr. Viele has spent over 27 years developing.

That being said, I think your Talisman will be a great looking folder. I really like the Snakewood scales.

~Mitch

------------------
My Hobby Page

V. interesting, as I was under the impression that Tom had worked as an apprentice (?) under Howard. Will try to figure out where I got that info...

I have a mini mohawk from Tom Anderson for over a yr.It is a very well made folder with ironwood scales.Instead of the usual tacticals with titainium or G10 handles Tom uses wood overlays that give the folder a "beefier" feel.I personally don't see a similarity between his knives and Vieles.

I have liked Andersons knives since day one when I first saw them. I also somewhat remember the Viele connection. Blade or Knives Illustrated did a story on Anderson a few years ago and I am going to have to dig it up and see what it said. If I have any luck I will post my findings of course telling my wife I have to go through my 2 steamer trunks full of knife literture won't go over to well since she has me putting x-mass stuff up today LOL.
Bob

Hey all thanks for the responses.

UW Mitch,
no problem as I remember reading the same thing. I am not familar enough with either makers work to have much of an opinion.

ROBB,
glad to hear that they have a beefy feel. The other custom folders I have are all what I would term heavy duty. Two by Bob Dozier, a Buckhunter and a Folding Dagger are/were the beefiest until I got a Wasp by Reese Weiland. That Wasp is heavy-duty all the way! Titanium sideplates are as thick as the blade, and then it has a damascus overlay on one side. BEAUTIFUL!! A Pat Crawford Kasper with stag overlays awaits me under the tree for a 12-25-00 opening date, know this one is heavy duty. Lastly, a Wegner custom is as beefy as the rest. Don't know if my large Sebenza wood inlay counts as custom, but it is pretty beefy also. Glad to hear that the Anderson Talisman is going to be good company for the rest.

Strider,
got several copy paper boxes full of magazines, as I never throw away any knife magazine. Got Blades, KI, TK, and Fighting Knives along with all the annuals and several other books. It is a chore to go through to get at an article you think you remember one of the mags doing. Of course I always have fun finding other articles or pics. of interest I had forgotten about. Good luck in finding the article. Please post if you do find so I can "go digging"

------------------
Art Sigmon

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"

Anderson is only a few of many custom makers that offer left handed versions at his table at the shows he attend. The action of his folders is super smooth. He also has the best tactical M & Ms around! Grey and black mixed in a bowl at his table at shows!

L8r,
Nakano

I have had one of Tom's folders for a couple of years. Tom makes a solid but very smooth folder. IMHO you can't go wrong by buying one of them.

Anderson SeaWolf in ATS-34 & Carbon Fiber
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=126319&a=961430&p=13311428&Sequence=1&res=high" TARGET=_blank>

Thumbnail
</A>

------------------
Barry
Jones Knives
"NEW Knives"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=126319&a=5922856
"For DUTY and HUMANITY!"
Curly, Moe, & Larry

I hate to be a fly in the ointment, but I have had two and both developed blade play in short order. Art, I really suggest you check your blade play,up and down as well as side to side when your receive your knife. Tom is a good guy and I am sure he will make good on any problems you might have. I truly hope my experiences were unusual.Both pieces were bought at the same time, at the 1998 SECKS show, so it may have been an isolated incident.
David

------------------
AKTI# A000150
NC Custom Knifemakers Guild member
NC Knife Knuts member

Thanks for the heads up David. I received the folder today and from a first impression I am impressed! Fit and finish is excellent with all grinds being even and everything in place. The snakewood scales are beautiful. Action is very slick and lockup is tight, so far. I have checked for side to side and up and down play with none present. The liner lock springs over to just the right spot and is snug on the tang. Pressure to the back of the blade does not cause any movement. Thumb studs are nice with a knurled appearamce. Everything on the knife flows together to give it a great appearance. The snakewood scales give a good hand filling grip. The blade is double ground, or at least the edge is. The back side is ground flat. What really grabbed my attention was the thickness of the titanium liners. They are 1/8" thick at the rear and gradually taper towards the front. They look terrific!
So far I am really impressed with Tom Anderson. Of course time will be the telling factor!

------------------
Art Sigmon

Just for information sake, I picked up four or five of Tom's knives at the SECKS and all of them had up and down play in the blade. From the locked position the blade could be moved back with light pressure before it fully contacted the stop pin and then when pressure was let off it would move back to the postion it first locked into.

As David noted above this may have been limited to the knives at this show. I was going to mention it to Tom but didn't want to come off as a know-it-all. It's like saying to a maker: "Hey did you notice these scratches? What's up with this uneven grind?" : )

Andrew,
Great to see you on the forums! Folks, take note of this young man. He will soon be a name to be reckoned with in the world of custom folders.
David

------------------
AKTI# A000150
NC Custom Knifemakers Guild member
NC Knife Knuts member

David and Andrew,
It is with awe that I write these words. After reading your posts I decided to try and see if there was indeed some play. I opened the knife and the lock sprang over to where it had been going. I applied some pressure to the side of the blade with no play at all. I then did the same up and down. Now I did not apply the same pressure you would get from a spine whack test but moderate nonetheless. The lock slid over and released the blade! Tried it again 2 more times and same result. As they say, "three strikes and your OUT!" I have packed the knife up and will send it back tomorrow.
Still must note that this is a great looking knife and the work it would get from me would not be enough to cause the liner to fail, but the fact that it did and the fact that I know it did is all it takes.
I owe you fellows a big thank you. THANK YOU.

------------------
Art Sigmon

My phone number is listed in the "Knives" annuals. It's best if you call after 6:00 PM EST.

I also have a website at"www.andersoncustomknives.com"

Please contact me directly if you're having problems with one of my knives. Many times, the lock will slip on a new knife if there is dirt or excessive grease in the lock area. Use a cotton swab and alcohol to remove any grease. A toothpick works fine on lint. If this does not solve the problem, contact me directly. I do stand behind my knives.

I try to build folders with substantial frames and smooth actions.

Thanks for your interest.

------------------

Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

[This message has been edited by Tom Anderson (edited 12-20-2000).]

Thank you for the compliment. The Mini-Mohawk has proven to be one of my most popular models.

There are similarities between my folders and those made by Howard Viele. I have been at Howard's house/shop several times over the past four years and have a good relationship with him, his wife, and his cats. Howard is my hero, and continues to help me through my many rough spots. If it were'nt for him, I wouldn't have tried to make folders.

------------------

Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

Actually, I have not "apprenticed" under Howard Viele in the traditional sense (making knives in his shop day after day). Most of what I learned from Howard was from phone calls and behind the table conversations at shows.

He is a true master and my IDOL!

(Also see comments to next posting.)

Thank you!

------------------

Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

Thank you for the compliment.

Several of my knives have been featured in various knife publicatons. However, the article you are probably referring to appeared in the September 1999 issue of Tactical Knives (article by Anthony Lombardo).

------------------

Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

Thank you for the compliment!

They remember the candy - even if they forget my name!

------------------

Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

Originally posted by BARRY JONES:
Thanks Barry and Phil!

I finally got around to reading the posting about my knives today (12-20-00) after someone called to alert me about knifeforums. (Wonder what knifemakers without computers do?!) I'll try to get back once in a while for "maintenance" (between my two full-time jobs!)

See you at the shows next year!

By the way folks - these guys make great knives!

------------------

Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

Originally posted by davidb415:
Please contact me directly if you have questions, comments, or problems with any of my knives! I can't help you if I don't know about the problem.

Tom Anderson
955 Canal Road Extd.
Manchester, PA 17345
717 266-6475 (after 6:00 PM EST)

Usually, the Nylatron bearings will seat in on a new folder and the blade might loosen up a bit. This can usually be corrected by adjustment of the pivot screw using a 3/32" hex wrench. Lately, I have been puttng a little Loctite 242 on this screw so the knife doesn't come out of adjustment too far.

------------------

Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

Back